Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:57 pm

eido wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Download the following extension: https://github.com/wilddom/memrise2anki-extension

I downloaded this extension. I tried to extract to the add-ons folder but could only copy and paste it because the option didn't come up. The code can't possibly be 'deleted', can it? Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm computer clueless.

1) Extract it first to a folder outside of Anki.
2) Copy and paste then to the add-on folder.
3) Restart Anki.

You should see on Tools the new Import Memrise option
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 pm

I only have access to a Mac, if anyone happens to figure out how to do it, I’d really appreciate it if you could post a comment here.

I really like memrise, it’s such a pity they won’t just make a duplicate app for the community courses (like their old app before the fancy update?).
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:45 pm

languist wrote:I only have access to a Mac, if anyone happens to figure out how to do it, I’d really appreciate it if you could post a comment here.

I really like memrise, it’s such a pity they won’t just make a duplicate app for the community courses (like their old app before the fancy update?).

On my Mac I created a virtual machine (I use it for other stuff) that runs Windows when needed. But you need a lot of space and fine to get that in place.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 pm

I want to add my two cents for those who don't want to use Anki.
I'm moving all my courses to Quizlet since its interface is similar to Memrise, it has an app, ability to add new content through the app etc.

The way I export my courses is as follows:

You copy this script:
(() => {

function getWords(courseId, level) {
const url = `https://www.memrise.com/ajax/session/?course_id=${courseId}&level_index=${level}&session_slug=preview`
console.log('Fetching words from ' + url)
return fetch(url, { credentials: 'same-origin' })
// parse response
.then(res => {
return res.status === 200
? res.json()
// map results
.then(data => {
return data.learnables.map(row => ({
original: row.item.value,
translation: row.definition.value
}))
})
.then(words => {
return getWords(courseId, level + 1)
.then(words.concat.bind(words))
})
: []
})
.catch(err => {
console.error(err)
return []
})
}

// fetch
const start = 1
const courseId = location.href.slice(30).match(/\d+/)[0]
getWords(courseId, start)
// format as csv
.then(words => {
console.log(words.length + ' words')
return words.map(word => word.original + '\t' + word.translation + '\n').join('')
})
// print
.then(console.log)

})()

Go to the course you want to export and right-click your mouse, go to inspect properties, then paste that script in the white text area (don't know what this is called :lol:). The script will then collect all words which you can then copy and paste into Quizlet.
I've been making courses with levels on Quizlet by creating a ''folder'' (a book or other resource) and then creating a ''set'' (a chapter from the resource the words are from). This way my content is still semi-organised and I can just click on a folder if I want to study a specific module.

Hope this makes sense and will be of use to someone :)
7 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

languist
Orange Belt
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
languist wrote:I only have access to a Mac, if anyone happens to figure out how to do it, I’d really appreciate it if you could post a comment here.

On my Mac I created a virtual machine (I use it for other stuff) that runs Windows when needed. But you need a lot of space and fine to get that in place.

Unfortunately, my MacBook literally crashed earlier due to having only 400mb free (this situation has since been rectified, but not by much), but thanks for the suggestion !
0 x

barrybounce
Languages: English (N), Estonian (A2)

Postby barrybounce » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:22 pm

Well this annoying - I loved Memrise.

I also just paid for an annual subscription in December. I hope they realise that they'll be needing to refund the unused portion! :?
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:06 am

I totally agree this is unfortunate. The combination offline app+user made courses was the best thing about Memrise. The same problem resonates all over the language learning internet, it seems now.

I am not too surprised, I was the most disappointed with the switch from Memrise Beta to the full version with everything being the opposite of what the old users had suggested en masse on the feedback forum. And various other changes were definitely pointing in this direction.

My guess: the Decks website will get less and less support and functionality and die out because of neglect. Memrise wants to be the new Duolingo, with low level (and in my opinion low quality) courses being the main product. In two or three years, it will be closed.

About the Memrise Pro refunds: I've read posts by people elsewhere, that they are not getting answers from Memrise, except for generic links to info about the conditions of refunds (which do not apply to anyone, who has paid at the end of the year, as you have one month to ask for a refund). However, it seems that Apple may help, if enough people complain. They have pushed some unreasonable app sellers to more logical and customer friendly solutions in past too. So, perhaps asking Apple is an option for at some of you.

The separate Decks could have a lot of potential. If it had a simpler less childish design than Memrise and a fixed search function, it would already be a good standalone product, that could earn an app too. But I don't think that is the intention of the Memrise staff.

As far as the alternatives go, there is Anki and Quizlet. But I would also like to remember Memcode here, the creator of which was exactly fed up with some of the Memrise's changes and disrespect for the users, and made her own site. There is no app, but the cards are very easy to make in two main formats (fill the gaps, classical cards), the design is very simple and refreshing compared to the wild colours of Memrise, the SRS is good, and I think this alternative could serve some learners.
Last edited by Cavesa on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:09 am

zenmonkey wrote:1) Extract it first to a folder outside of Anki.
2) Copy and paste then to the add-on folder.
3) Restart Anki.

You should see on Tools the new Import Memrise option

I think that's what I did and it's not showing up where I'm looking, which is clicking the Tools bar. Eep!
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 am

I have tried many apps including Anki, several flashcard style apps, Quizlet, etc and always preferred the Memrise web site version. I have used the app version on the iPad and found it too gamified. I prefer a large screen with big font.

I've never used the Memrise courses as they are low level and from what I've read have too many errors. I mostly make my own courses and use a few of the community created ones. So the change itself won't be a problem for me at least initially but I suspect Decks will either be neglected or become ad supported which would cause me to find an alternative. I paid for the pro version as a way to support the site developers but my renewal is up next month so I will not be renewing.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:39 am

lingua wrote:I have tried many apps including Anki, several flashcard style apps, Quizlet, etc and always preferred the Memrise web site version. I have used the app version on the iPad and found it too gamified. I prefer a large screen with big font.

I've never used the Memrise courses as they are low level and from what I've read have too many errors. I mostly make my own courses and use a few of the community created ones. So the change itself won't be a problem for me at least initially but I suspect Decks will either be neglected or become ad supported which would cause me to find an alternative. I paid for the pro version as a way to support the site developers but my renewal is up next month so I will not be renewing.

I also only use the web site version. It is my understanding that the Memrise official courses are designed to the B1 level in terms of vocabulary and sentence structure, which is a low level for many on this forum, but still of use to many others on this forum, myself included. I have used both community-generated and Memrise official courses for a variety of languages in the past. I think the official courses I have tried (Spanish and Italian to this point) are on the whole pretty well put together.
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Return to “General Language Discussion”