The “Heaving Breasts and Alabaster Thighs” CEFR A2-B1 Reading Program

General discussion about learning languages
Speakeasy

The “Heaving Breasts and Alabaster Thighs” CEFR A2-B1 Reading Program

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:08 pm

I must give credit to the “Heaving Breasts and Alabaster Thighs” appellation to my older sister who, at somewhere around the age of thirteen, began characterizing the ever-popular genre of romantic novels in this summary, but rather revealing, manner.

It might be just the effects of aging; however, yesterday, my wife and I were reminiscing on how we had learned each other’s language. She recalled having been given a large selection of “Harlequin Romance” novels by her Québécoise roommate, when the two of them were working in Toronto, as an easy, agreeable, low-intensity, and very affordable means of broaching the written form of the English language. Coincidentally, during my first year in Québec, I adopted an identical strategy for improving my understanding of written French. I would estimate, in retrospect, that the level of language deployed in the “Harlequin Romance” novels falls somewhere within the CEFR A2-B1 range. This series is available in numerous languages around the world.

Has anyone else used this series, or a similar device or materials, to improve their reading skills? What were your experiences?
3 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: The “Heaving Breasts and Alabaster Thighs” CEFR A2-B1 Reading Program

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm

I've recently started reading romance novels (specifically, LGBT+) in German to improve my reading but also because, well, I really like them. I'll start in Spanish soon, too. One of the good things I've found is, aside from my interest and the general language level, that if you're reading contemporary romance then there's a lot of vocabulary that's useful, which is a far cry from the fantasy I tend to also read. (Also, there are lot of these kinds of books in the Kindle Unlimited program, so I've got soooooo many books to get through :lol: )
1 x
pronouns: she/her

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:47 pm

I’ve found romance novels to be fantastically accessible in terms of language level, but kind of boring? If I’m going to read a mass market novel I prefer Chick-Lit.

Wikipedia tells us: “Chick lit is genre fiction which addresses issues of modern womanhood, often humorously and lightheartedly. The genre became popular in the late 1990s, with chick lit titles topping bestseller lists and the creation of imprints devoted entirely to chick lit. Although it sometimes includes romantic elements, chick lit is generally not considered a direct subcategory of the romance novel genre, because the heroine’s relationship with her family or friends is often just as important as her romantic relationships.”
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 am

I've not read any true romance or chick-lit, but one of my guilty pleasures in Italian has been Fabio Volo, who writes material just like what Lawyer&Mom describes but from male characters' perspectives. Maybe the humorous term "dick-lit" would cover this, but I've also heard it being used for anything that stereotypically appeals to a male audience like adventure and spy novels so it's probably not the right description, and Volo seems to be most successful with the typical chick-lit audience even if his protagonists are men. He's the kind of author that my Italian friends would consider trashy and laugh at me for reading, directing me instead to higher-quality literature, but his books are light and full of everyday language which is perfect at intermediate level and beyond.

I've also watched my share of romantic comedy films in target languages, for similar reasons. The ones that don't stick too rigidly to the Hollywood template can be enjoyable enough.
8 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

A different genre but the same effect -- my father learned Portuguese primarily from reading Agatha Christie translations - I picked up a few from his house and they are here somewhere ... wait ... no ... yeah, I'll get to them someday.

Any mass market writing is probably easily accessible. I probably need to "dumb down" further my reading list.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

avalon
White Belt
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)

Postby avalon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Came here for the heaving breasts.

Left disappointed.
18 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:50 pm

zenmonkey wrote:A different genre but the same effect -- my father learned Portuguese primarily from reading Agatha Christie translations - I picked up a few from his house and they are here somewhere ... wait ... no ... yeah, I'll get to them someday.

Any mass market writing is probably easily accessible. I probably need to "dumb down" further my reading list.

I just started reading a Marc Levy book. It’s magic. It *feels* like “serious literature” (young adults in England finding their way after the War), but it’s so freaking easy to read (compared to “serious literature.”) It’s a wonderful way to pretend I’m much better in French than I really am. So yes, go straight to the best seller list. If they sold millions upon millions of copies, it’s probably easier to read, regardless of genre.
4 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Nope, not gonna do it. Nope...

My opinion may change as my Italian reaches the A2 level...
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:A different genre but the same effect -- my father learned Portuguese primarily from reading Agatha Christie translations - I picked up a few from his house and they are here somewhere ... wait ... no ... yeah, I'll get to them someday.

I just started reading a Marc Levy book. It’s magic. It *feels* like “serious literature” (young adults in England finding their way after the War), but it’s so freaking easy to read (compared to “serious literature.”) It’s a wonderful way to pretend I’m much better in French than I really am. So yes, go straight to the best seller list. If they sold millions upon millions of copies, it’s probably easier to read, regardless of genre.

You might consider Didier Daeninckx.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:

You might consider Didier Daeninckx.

Ooh! I’ve been wanting a good yet accessible French Detective series! Thanks!
0 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Return to “General Language Discussion”