Why are movies and TV shows so difficult to understand?

General discussion about learning languages
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Why are movies and TV shows so difficult to understand?

Postby Cainntear » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Le Baron wrote:So now I'm really convinced it's an actor style + sound mixing style unique to modern TV drama (which now thinks it is feature films).

Total agreement on that, and it's just bloody stupid. As streaming is on the up and people are getting ever further from having home cinema setups, this is getting ever crazier. Why should someone pay ~$10 a month to watch something on their phone if it doesn't really work on their phone??
3 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:29 pm

Why Is Everyone Watching TV With the Subtitles On?

Specifically, it has everything to do with LKFS, which stands for “Loudness, K-weighted, relative to full scale” and which, for the sake of simplicity, is a unit for measuring loudness. Traditionally it’s been anchored to the dialogue. For years, going back to the golden age of broadcast television and into the pay-cable era, audio engineers had to deliver sound levels within an industry-standard LKFS, or their work would get kicked back to them. That all changed when streaming companies seized control of the industry, a period of time that rather neatly matches Game of Thrones’ run on HBO. According to Blank, Game of Thrones sounded fantastic for years, and she’s got the Emmys to prove it. Then, in 2018, just prior to the show’s final season, AT&T bought HBO’s parent company and overlaid its own uniform loudness spec, which was flatter and simpler to scale across a large library of content. But it was also, crucially, un-anchored to the dialogue.

“So instead of this algorithm analyzing the loudness of the dialogue coming out of people’s mouths,” Blank explained to me, “it analyzes the whole show as loudness. So if you have a loud music cue, that’s gonna be your loud point. And then, when the dialogue comes, you can’t hear it.” Blank remembers noticing the difference from the moment AT&T took the reins at Time Warner; overnight, she said, HBO’s sound went from best-in-class to worst. During the last season of Game of Thrones, she said, “we had to beg [AT&T] to keep our old spec every single time we delivered an episode.” (Because AT&T spun off HBO’s parent company in 2022, a spokesperson for AT&T said they weren’t able to comment on the matter.)
2 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:03 pm

Valddu wrote:
Do most language learners struggle with native shows and movies in this way?

No

Vaiddu wrote:Part of me wonders if the problem is just one of exposure—

A)I’ve participated in hundreds of hours worth of conversation in but have only seen a handful of shows in my L2.
B)Maybe it’s as simple as needing more exposure?

A)Yes B)No.

explanations:

once you learn any language incorrectly, then almost everything goes incorrectly ,what is more it will hereby be very difficult to amend those incorrect points.

I think that this was normal. Note please I do not judge whether it is true or false , but via "normal" keyword here I just mean thait was either the expected thing or logical thing which is in the conformity with the intellect.
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Return to “General Language Discussion”