Languages on CV/Resume

General discussion about learning languages
Mount Everest
White Belt
Languages: English (B1), Japanese (B1), Spanish (A2), Portuguese (B1).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 50#p141550

Languages on CV/Resume

Postby Mount Everest » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 am

When applying for a job that language skills are relevant, what levels do you list?

The institutions I'm applying to, they are aware about CEFR only.

By default, is there a minimum level you would list? B1? B2? C1?

Shall I list only languages at C1 or above? Would you list languages at B2 level or even B1, considering that you will be able to work and perform specific tasks on those languages?

What if in cases you are at C1 for passive skills and B2 (B1, A2) at active skills? Do you separate them?
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Languages on CV/Resume

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am

I like to see people write without code - beginner, intermediate, advanced (or fluent), native. You can then place in parenthesis the CEFR code or certificates. If there is a big gap between passive and active skills, yes you can note that.

Personally, I've only noted anything below B1 as an interest or "currently studying".

Any language you list, you should be able to have part of the interview in that language. I've dropped candidates because they've listed "language xyz - business fluent" and then they stumble when I ask a few questions.
6 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:50 am

With the obvious disclaimer that this will vary a lot between countries, fields, etc.

In the UK (in my experience) you can never get away with just sending a CV, so I put a very short sentence in my CV summary and list the DELF in my qualifications section. Then in the application form or cover letter, I can go into more detail if I think it is relevant. Most jobs that I apply for, languages are a desirable skill rather than essential. So I do mention them, but I tend not to want to go in detail necessarily (though I have for two recent applications) - they are much more interested in my work experience, the languages are a bonus.

I don't mention languages I've dabbled with or can't really speak now, but that's easier for me - I am conversational in my TLs so I can state that. I wouldn't list anything below B1 unless that language was going to be relevant and I wanted to indicate that I had started working on it. In which case, I might put a brief note to that effect. (But tbh, they would have to really want other skills that I have in order for me to apply, in which case I would be focusing on those). If I'm at B1 though and it's relevant, I'm putting it in. Why sell yourself short?

In general though, I think often it's a bit like salary, putting a very short answer and then saying that you are willing to discuss futher at interview can be a good way of sidestepping this complexity.

This might be essier to answer if you could give a bit more information about your languages.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm

4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Another more recent thread: Language Qualifications and Jobs

My own answer in that thread: click here.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:13 pm

No CEFR labels unless you've taken the test.

Only list languages relevant to the position, and be prepared to interview/train in them. Others can be listed if it might make you seem "worldly" e.g. when I applied for a position with my university's Global Studies program, I put a handful on there.

As for differentiating the active/passive skills - I'd probably just list the higher one as "Advanced Reading Knowledge of xyz." But again if it's a job requiring that you speak in the language, then you'd have to list your speaking ability instead. Remember, they're probably reading dozens of CV's so keep it concise and accurate to the position.
0 x

Chupito
Yellow Belt
Languages: French* and English
Learning: Spanish (beginner)

Postby Chupito » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:56 am

I wouldn't use a CEFR level code without having passed an official exam. Partly because it can be hard to self-assess accurately, which could lead to over or underestimating yourself, but mostly because it could be construed as lying. A recruiter could read "C1" as meaning "got a C1 certification" and you would look bad if it wasn't the case. I wouldn't want to risk it. I suppose you could clarify with "self-assessed" but I fear recruiters would take it to mean "not actually C1" and dismiss it.

I would however feel comfortable using level descriptors, such as "Effective Operational Proficiency", "Professional working proficiency", "fluent", "advanced", etc.

I would mention a CEFR certification even if it was "expired", provided I maintained that level. If I fell behind or if I reached a new level, I would drop it.

My minimum level to list would be either B1 or B2.

It's fine to mention separate skills if your level is vastly different but don't make your resume overly complicated.
1 x
Corrections welcome in any language.

Super challenge:
listening: 3 / 100 reading: 1 / 100

podcasts: 3 / 100

mrap
Languages: Latvian (N), Russian (N), English (C2), Norwegian, German, French (all A2)

Postby mrap » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:22 am

As I live in the EU, I have two approaches:
- if I need to fill the EuroPass CV form (10%-20% of the time), then, of course, I show the levels (A/B/C), and usually denote only languages where I am at least A2 (so I don'y list languages where I have dabbled, despite may having some conversational abilities, I am not still able to communicate in those). A2 level shows that you can communicate on some general level and have a background in the language, so if a job needs you to learn that language to a more proficient level, they know that You are reliable that have been with the language for a quite a time and will not be hesitant to invest in you, rather than if you'd have zero knowledge or about A1 level, where it's risky, if they don't know how good are you with languages.
- 80%-90% of the times job applications are through LinkedIn or with CVs of free form, there I list also languages that I have on A1 level, and just denote - native/fluent/basic conversational/beginner. By beginner I mean that I have learned the language but no operational use, it mostly is for showing that I try to find time and resources to invest in self-development not that this beginner level language will give me any edge over somebody.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:13 pm

On this topic, do people have recent(ish) experience interviewing or being interviewed in the UK? Based on the interviews I've had, they pretty much have to stick to the script in order to be shown not to be discriminating. (Please, let's avoid a discussion of whether this is a good thing/the right way, etc). So I've only ever been tested on languages if it was an essential criterion for the job (in which case, for one there was a role play in that language and for the other half the interview questions were in that language). I've never been asked to prove my language skills. (Nor have I been asked to prove other skills except through tests/tasks. Otherwise it's pretty much just whether you talk about it.)

Is this a standard thing or just in the areas I am working in?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:14 pm

MamaPata wrote:On this topic, do people have recent(ish) experience interviewing or being interviewed in the UK? Based on the interviews I've had, they pretty much have to stick to the script in order to be shown not to be discriminating. (Please, let's avoid a discussion of whether this is a good thing/the right way, etc). So I've only ever been tested on languages if it was an essential criterion for the job (in which case, for one there was a role play in that language and for the other half the interview questions were in that language). I've never been asked to prove my language skills. (Nor have I been asked to prove other skills except through tests/tasks. Otherwise it's pretty much just whether you talk about it.)

Is this a standard thing or just in the areas I am working in?

I'm in the UK and tend to interview about once a month. For graduate-entry positions I do have a very strict script to follow. I deviate from it occasionally if something interesting I want to follow up on arises during the conversation, but if I do that I always say something like "This isn't one of the questions I'm assessing you on, I'm just interested - how well do you speak French?". For experienced hire positions, I normally just get emailed the candidate's CV without any guidance on questions to ask, so I definitely would ask about languages if they had listed any. I wouldn't test them, but these are jobs in accountancy that I'm interviewing for so language skills are definitely not a requirement :lol:

Also, when I interview for graduate-entry positions, the information I get about the candidate has all their grades and certifications blanked out; this is to make sure I only judge the candidate on their performance on the day, not their history of academic achievement. I mention it because I suspect that if someone did list a CEFR or other language exam in their application form, I probably wouldn't actually ever get to see it!
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”