Audio courses for French

Postby Granrey » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:29 am

Hi Guys,

Aside from:

Assimil
Paul Noble
Pimsleur
Michel Thomas.

are there any other audio courses you would recomend?

Thanks
1 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Re: Audio courses for French

Postby Sonjaconjota » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:09 am

The free course by Language Transfer:
https://www.languagetransfer.org/free-courses-1#french
2 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:11 am

Those are the big four, I’ve used all of them. FSI French is another audio based resource to consider, I’ve only dabbled with it I can’t give it a full review.
1 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:37 pm

Linguaphone?
1 x
On est tous le con d’un autre.

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:53 pm

Someone get Peter Mollenburg in here...
4 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:58 am

Ug_Caveman wrote:Someone get Peter Mollenburg in here...

Are you trying to kill off Granrey?
3 x
On est tous le con d’un autre.

CupcakeCharm
Languages: Tagalog (N) English (B2)

Postby CupcakeCharm » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:26 am

You might want to check out "Coffee Break Languages." They have a casual and engaging approach. Also, "Rocket Languages" offers comprehensive audio lessons that are pretty interactive. Another good one is "Glossika," which focuses on spaced repetition and sentence patterns. All of these are solid options to mix things up a bit.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:54 am

I'm not sure it's a useful question. The fact that a course only uses audio doesn't say much at all about the course style. Why do you want an audio course? What are you looking for in a course?
0 x

Granrey
Yellow Belt
Languages: spanish, English

Postby Granrey » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:17 pm

Cainntear wrote:I'm not sure it's a useful question. The fact that a course only uses audio doesn't say much at all about the course style. Why do you want an audio course? What are you looking for in a course?

I have already finished or close to finish some of the main apps like:

1) Lingodeer. I finished the accelerated course and currently doing a pass on the normal course.

2) Rosseta Stone. I'm currently about 3/4 or more in the main course. Though they have lots of extra material.

3) Memrise. I finished the main couse with english as main . I'm currently doing a second pass with Spanish as main.

4) Mondly. I'm about 90% in their courses though they have new short daily lessons.

5) Anki: I've been using it for about 4 months but I don't understand the stats of how far I'm on the deck.

6) Duolingo: I'm close to finish section 5.

8) I have read lots of books to learn french and I still have lots more to go but at the moment I don't have much time to read as I combine walking (indoors) with learning languages.

---Babel: around 75% done

9) Paul Noble: I did one quick pass already. I understood everything with no issues.

10) Pimsleur: I'm on CD3 doing a quick pass. So far I understand 95% of the words with no issues.

Now, I have taken several online exams which show my weakest points are: Oral Comprehension, followed by complex written stuff. Most exams say I'm b1/b2 and one, even pushed me to C1 but this one had no oral portion.

So the main issue is regards of comprehension is the oral portion. My pronunciation is probably horrible but I'm no too concern about it because I know if I speak slowly I will be understood in basic conversations plus by improving oral comprehension it will help my pronunciation as well.

In real life, I can follow podcasts to learn french but I cannot follow regular movies or news, etc. I do get the topic of the conversation but no the details.

For example, they could be talking about the war in Ukraine but I cannot get the details.

So, that's why I want to work more on Audio.
Last edited by Granrey on Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Stiv_MacRae
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1)

Postby Stiv_MacRae » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm

Granrey wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Now, I have taken several online exams which show my weakest points are: Oral Comprehension, followed by complex written stuff. Most exams say I'm b1/b2 and one, even pushed me to C1 but this one had no oral portion.

So the main issue is regards of comprehension is the oral portion. My pronunciation is probably horrible but I'm no too concern about it because I know if I speak slowly I will be understood in basic conversations plus by improving oral comprehension it will help my pronunciation as well.

In real life, I can follow podcasts to learn french but I cannot follow regular movies or news, etc. I do get the topic of the conversation but no the details.

For example, they could be talking about the war in Ukraine but I cannot get the details.

So, that's why I want to work more on Audio.

Now I understand the thrust your question. None of the educational materials you listed deal with this fundamental problem -- the version of French you read and were taught in formal courses is not the same as the oral version actually spoken in France. It's like a different language.

This subject is addressed in detail on a YouTube site called "Comme Une Français". The host, Geraldine, deals with all of the various shortcuts natives use when they speak the language. Without this knowledge, your ability to understand everyday French is severely limited. It's not that they speak fast or use colloquialisms, it's that they take oral shortcuts.

In addition to this site, I recommend another site called "Easy French", which despite its title is not especially easy. It consists of man-on-the-street interviews with people speaking real, everyday French. Word for word transcripts are available.

Finally, I get a lot out of French documentaries that I find on Netflix. With a couple of exceptions, French TV shows are much harder, and movies remain unintelligible. I am told that this is a common problem.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”