Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

General discussion about learning languages
User avatar
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Posts: 4839
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:36 pm
Location: Denmark
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027
x 15260

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby Iversen » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 am

Iversen wrote:I have looked at goats' eyes and the main interesting thing about them was the shape of the pupil - it's rectangular. I didn't start to philosophize about the meaning of the world in general or the exact thoughts of the goat in particular.

PeterMollenburg wrote:The most absurd answer yet! Where's the fun in not delving into the depths of pondering, hypotheses, time and dimension travel and water slides? You really want to take water slides away from kids, is that what you're saying Iversen? I think it is, I think I heard you say it once. Sure it was in another language and it meant something else altogether, but I know when you're trying to pull a fast one over me!

Yes, I do indeed want to make the world a more comprehensible place (except when I do surrealism) - not least for kids. So yes, I have indeed looked sheep and goats in the eye and ascertained that they as expected had rectangular pupils and not round ones like us. And then I have of course asked "why?", but the reasons seems to be that they need a wide field of vision rather than a high one - that would just let in a lot of blinding sunshine. What more do you need? Dimension travel and water slides? Well, my expectations are not quite as lofty - rDearman's Jamaican goat stew might however be within of the potentially possible.

Some cats and other predators have vertical pupils - that's more mysterious

F3345a03_Cameroon_ram-Hobro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm
Languages: ...
x 189

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby jimmy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am

ahahahaahaa hahah ha :) :) :) :)
have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why'?
:) :) :) :) :)
hahahhah

yes, I looked a goat in the eye. I also tried to speak with him. hahhahah ha aha

may I ask a reason 'Why' this question released here ? :) :) :) :)
2 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic - Polyglot

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3251
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080
x 8102

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 am

jimmy wrote:may I ask a reason 'Why' this question released here ? :) :) :) :)


We're all friends here, right? We all support each other, sort of, right? We all respect one another, yes? I ask of you nothing but respect when I answer with a resounding 'no'. I haven't answered with that resounding 'no' yet, so in the meantime feel free to be disrespectful, towards disrespectful people, that is. However, only do so in a manner that conforms with any social norms, or applicable rules and laws. If you don't wish to be disrespectful, then do not proceed with the above advice on how to proceed while awaiting my official, resounding 'no'.

The above demonstrates use of language. This is a language forum, right? While that was rhetorical, do assume a resounding 'yes' in that instance.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am
Location: Scotland
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc
x 9025
Contact:

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby Cainntear » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:We're all friends here, right?

No, we're "colleagues of interest". Would this thread have been considered off-topic if a newbie posted it? So why should it be OK because it was started by a long-term member?

This sort of behaviour creates cliques -- a behaviour is acceptable by a member of the clique, but acting similar would lead anyone not in the clique to be rejected.

This reflects a wider problem in society where X is acceptable if you're a "good guy", but if you're not identified as a "good guy" and you do X, that makes you a "bad guy". And the further problem is that being known as a "good guy" is actually just being known -- it's easier to identify with people you know than people you don't.

And from there we get the position where police procedurals will arrest an abused woman who steals from (or even kills!) her husband because that's what justice demands, but will forgive the cop who steals from (or kills) a nasty corrupt politician because the cop is a "good guy" and we know that because they're a main character.
We all support each other, sort of, right? We all respect one another, yes? I ask of you nothing but respect when I answer with a resounding 'no'. I haven't answered with that resounding 'no' yet, so in the meantime feel free to be disrespectful, towards disrespectful people, that is. However, only do so in a manner that conforms with any social norms, or applicable rules and laws. If you don't wish to be disrespectful, then do not proceed with the above advice on how to proceed while awaiting my official, resounding 'no'.

You are only respectful in the sense that being in the group means you're allowed to do whatever you want, because you assume the group identity encompasses your personal identity: i.e. "I am an X, therefore my behaviour is what an X does".
You consider jimmy's response as disrepectful because he is suggesting that your behaviour is not what this forum is looking for.
He's right.

The above demonstrates use of language. This is a language forum, right? While that was rhetorical, do assume a resounding 'yes' in that instance.

Just... WTAF?
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm
Languages: ...
x 189

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby jimmy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 pm

Cainntear wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:We're all friends here, right?


This sort of behaviour creates cliques -- a behaviour is acceptable by a member of the clique, but acting similar would lead anyone not in the clique to be rejected.

indeed, this is the happening occasion (I was supposing that this might be based on my personal experiences,but I also see that someone else experienced,too)

anyway, lets start to read my explanations:

1)
"PeterMollenburg wrote:We're all friends here, right? We all support each other, sort of, right? We all respect one another, yes? I ask of you nothing but respect when I answer with a resounding 'no'. I haven't answered with that resounding 'no' yet, so in the meantime feel free to be disrespectful, towards disrespectful people, that is. However, only do so in a manner that conforms with any social norms, or applicable rules and laws. If you don't wish to be disrespectful, then do not proceed with the above advice on how to proceed while awaiting my official, resounding 'no'.


and

Cainntear wrote:You consider jimmy's response as disrepectful ...


actually, I was just trying to learn the reason why this thread has been released. if OP requests I think I can read some prior posts (preferably from the first page.

2)
Cainntear wrote: ...because he is suggesting that your behaviour is not what this forum is looking for.
He's right.

Not really. That is because I give potentiality to something to be presented (some issues) which generally none considers that those issues might be valid or correct.

while, I thought that it would be highly likely to some other but unrelated reasons to be proposed here, I also considered that OP might propose very interesting contents by her/his predictions. For instance she might also propose this idea (probability)
"do goats have their specific language which currently none knows?"
but speaking in general, I was just wondering what he/she thought at the time when she/he opened this thread?
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic - Polyglot

jimmy
Green Belt
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm
Languages: ...
x 189

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby jimmy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:The above demonstrates use of language. This is a language forum, right? While that was rhetorical, do assume a resounding 'yes' in that instance.


What is more, may I further ask, that PeterMollenburg" slightly agrees to the content I provided above (in my prior post) so, OP has opened this thread because she also gave a probability to something like
"goats may have their specific language" or
"this is a language forum, and if there is a probability for a way to communicate with goats, then, why don't we try some methods / techniques.

actually, I have high tendency to reject anything when I consider anything is illogical or is not being supported by current understanding of logic approaches, as cainintear tries to tell in indirect way by her embodimented idea. But you are also right in thinking people should respect the ideas, while they can discuss the "trues" and "falses". And of course, the current understanding of logic approaches does not have to be in the conformity with the logic procedures and approaches which will be available and developed in future types.

external comments: actually I like this forum more than some other popular forums. Because,I feel myself more free than other mentioned websites.
I have much more things to say than predicted or I typed. anyway, this amount of expressions is sufficient now.
Thanks for reading.
2 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic - Polyglot

User avatar
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723
x 6907

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby emk » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

Cainntear wrote:Would this thread have been considered off-topic if a newbie posted it? So why should it be OK because it was started by a long-term member?

OK, let me put on my hat as the junior-most active mod.

As a general rule of thumb:

  1. This forum absolutely has rules!
  2. Everyone is expected to obey those rules, whether they're brand new or a "pillar of the community."
  3. But the rules involve a certain amount of subjectivity and human judgement. This is deliberate. Politics is technically forbidden, but if someone makes a post in their log about really interesting local language politics, then we do not go on an immediate moderating spree. Similarly, if someone technically avoids breaking any rules, but spends all their time seeing just how close they can get without stepping over the line, then we may intervene anyway.
  4. The biggest difference between new users and old users is how much effort the mods will spend talking to them before imposing consequences. If a brand new user breaks 4 major rules in their first 3 posts, and generally acts like a jerk, then goodbye! But if a long-standing user has a bad day, then it often makes sense to write them a PM or to impose a temporary warning.
  5. Just because we haven't acted about a specific issue yet, doesn't mean we haven't noticed. Particularly in the case of people who constantly almost break the rules to discover what they can get away with.
The current thread is a rather surreal discussion of goats. This is technically off-topic. But it's not part of larger pattern of off-topic threads, it wasn't creating a hostile or unpleasant environment, and people were mostly just being silly.

PeterMollenburg wrote:
jimmy wrote:may I ask a reason 'Why' this question released here ? :) :) :) :)


We're all friends here, right? We all support each other, sort of, right? We all respect one another, yes? I ask of you nothing but respect when I answer with a resounding 'no'. I haven't answered with that resounding 'no' yet, so in the meantime feel free to be disrespectful, towards disrespectful people, that is. However, only do so in a manner that conforms with any social norms, or applicable rules and laws. If you don't wish to be disrespectful, then do not proceed with the above advice on how to proceed while awaiting my official, resounding 'no'.

I am not quite sure what you were attempting to accomplish with this paragraph, despite reading it three times. But it does involve respect (or the lack thereof) between different users, which is maybe not an ideal topic for surrealist humor. Too much chance of a joke landing wrong.

So—and I can't believe I am saying this—it might be better to return this thread to its original topic of surrealist goat-related humor. If a surrealist joke lands wrong with a goat, however, then I cannot be held responsible for the goat's response, which may include (but is not limited to) eating your coat, head-butting you, or summoning an eldritch abomination from the void.
5 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3251
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080
x 8102

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:36 am

The intention of this thread has been to have a little light-hearted fun. I have a tendency to do this in other sphere's too, such as my work place, socializing and with family (who can resist confusing one's own kids with some silliness?). I guess sometimes I feel that for many of us we can have a tendency to take life a little too seriously at times. Of course, there are times when seriousness is warranted, in all sphere's. Anyway, the point is that I like to sometimes inject a little humour just to lighten things up a little, or simply to have some fun.

It has definitely not been my intention to be disrespectful or create some kind of a clique, or even to see how far I might be able to push the forum's rules. And I'll state this very clearly in no way whatsoever has the intention of this thread been about sidelining anybody on this forum.

In some of my posts above, attempts have been made to decipher some meaningful meaning(s) from the seemingly meaningless drivel. There is no real in depth meaning to it all. It's just fun. Is it off topic? Yes. Should this kind of thread be met with resounding unwelcome comments, or should moderators deem it completely inappropriate, I shall leave my warped sense of humour for the occasional zany comments in my other posts, which I already do.
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm
Languages: ...
x 189

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby jimmy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:50 am

PeterMollenburg wrote: Is it off topic? Yes.

why don't you open such threads under other topics or locations (websites/forums)?
(also, having said that the sun was sparkling shining for you does not mean the same thing for others, therefore, being serious is better than joking manner in serious locations, to me.)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic - Polyglot

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am
Location: Scotland
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc
x 9025
Contact:

Re: Have you ever looked a goat in the eye and asked 'Why?'

Postby Cainntear » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Anyway, the point is that I like to sometimes inject a little humour just to lighten things up a little, or simply to have some fun.

...which is why a lot of forums have an "off-topic" board, or "lounge" or "just for fun". But often it ends up getting unused, and people don't post their just-for-fun posts at all because they'll never be read in the just-for-fun forum. Or they'll post it on a general information board, because that's the most commonly used one.

This forum doesn't have an off-topic/just-for-fun board because we're all only here because of a shared goal, and we can't really expect everyone to have the same sense of humour as us.
0 x


Return to “General Language Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: leosmith and 2 guests