Spanish Girls Hit on Me When I Speak Basque in Spain

General discussion about learning languages
themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Re: Spanish Girls Hit on Me When I Speak Basque in Spain

Postby themethod » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:58 pm

I actually don't have a huge problem with the "White Guy Shocks Locals" videos when they actually showcase advanced language skills. Sure, the titles are a little cringe-y, but #1, Xioma has a Chinese wife and seems to show a lot of respect for both Chinese culture and the individuals he interacts with in the videos I've seen; and #2, it actually promotes serious language study.

As far as attention-seeking behavior on the internet, I think studying a language for a few thousands hours and then ordering dumplings at a small mom & pop restaurant is among the least toxic.

But I do agree that his recent trend of "learning" a language for a week and then recording himself speaking it is a very low tier of content.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:51 pm

themethod wrote:But I do agree that his recent trend of "learning" a language for a week and then recording himself speaking it is a very low tier of content.

I suppose that what happened was that there were no longer people to 'shock' in New York's Chinatown. He could have gone to a different Chinatown. Or worn a false moustache.
8 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:50 pm

I still haven't seen the video, but it does tell me something. If someone is capable of learning some basic Basque in a week, then the hundreds of thousands of monolingual Spanish and French speakers living in the Basque Country, who live their lives here in Spanish and French have no intellectual excuse for not learning Basque. They're not stupid. They just don't need/want/have to learn Basque, because our language is minoritised and their languages are the dominating languages in our society.
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:18 am

themethod wrote:...But I do agree that his recent trend of "learning" a language for a week and then recording himself speaking it is a very low tier of content.

Which is why I don't even bother to watch this drivel... or any of the youtube "polyglots". Language-learning as a "parlor tricK" is just that.
5 x

dklinker
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Turkish (maintaining) Spanish (learning)

Postby dklinker » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:22 am

I once made a video entitled "Spanish girls hit me when I speak to them"
I thought about uploading it to youtube but decided I had already had enough abuse.
2 x

youarethephotograph
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby youarethephotograph » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:15 am

tiia wrote:
tastyonions wrote:There are two kinds of xiaoma videos from what I've seen:

(1) he speaks Mandarin, which I take it he's pretty good at
(2) he speaks some much smaller language terribly after studying it a few days to get head pats from natives

This falls definitely into category two.

I watched that video so you don't have to. ;) Basically he talking to (mostly) vendors at a market, saying he stays there only for two days after having learned the language for three weeks.
In the video description it says, that this was taken in Bilbao, which he claims to be the capital of the Basque country. Unfortunately though the de facto capital is Vitoria-Gasteiz, not Bilbao. :lol:
The locatoin is of interest, since several people in the video do not speak Basque or only a little bit and he also relies heavily on Spanish. The bigger cities are not the best places to practise Basque, less people speak it there. The situation on the countryside and in smaller towns is often different.

So also in the scene that made it into the clickbait title (somewhere from 4:43 onwards) he's only talking to vendors. Basically with one middle aged (?) woman mainly, but the younger female vendors on the other side watch the scene and get involved in the situation as well. (Also because the first vendor talks to them, too.) I would see the whole thing more as a normal joking situation, when they are being told, he's an American and they later say, they would like to visit him in the States.
I didn't hear the audio too well or don't remember perfectly what was being said (compared to the subtitles - I mean you can write anything to the subtitles if others cannot prove it? And there are cuts, so no idea what was being left out). Didn't want to waste more time with that. But to me the situation looks pretty harmless.

I agree with two points of catergory!
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 am

iguanamon wrote:Which is why I don't even bother to watch this drivel... or any of the youtube "polyglots". Language-learning as a "parlor tricK" is just that.

Ah, but parlour tricks are done indoors for people who chose to come to the party. This is outdoors with members of the general public, so it's sooo much cooler than a parlour trick -- it's public harassment for profit!! How cool can you get??
Last edited by Cainntear on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:09 am

I haven't wasted any time on watching that video, but the thought has occurred to me that he might have got the same reactions from trying to speak Basque to a monolingual person from somewhere in the Pacific Ocean or the middle of Amazonia. Did those vendors understand just one single word of what he said (supposedly in Basque, but who knows)?

Simple rule: clickbait = don't watch it
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:09 am

On a serious note... Are Spanish females all so violent they hit people who speak Basque? Also is this barehanded or perhaps with something leather? (Asking for a friend)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

kundalini
Orange Belt
Languages: English (C), Greek (low intermediate)

Postby kundalini » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:13 pm

I watched the video, and think I largely understand the objections raised in this thread. On the other hand, here are some comments from native Basque speakers, expressing delight and even gratitude for the modest effort made to learn their language. Just something to consider.

I'm Basque and when people make that kind of effort, I get emotional. Very few people tries to learn this lenguage and it's a pity. Zu bezalako jendea Euskara hizkuntza bultzatzen dutenek, uste baino gehiago egiten duzute gure kulturarengatik. Milesker!

Im basque, and so proud of my culture and of people like you!!
Thank you mate!

I’m from the Basque Country and I feel very proud to see you trying to learn our language. Basque is not easy to learn nor speak, and coming to Bilbo to practice it, is really nice from you. As the last guy told you, Basque was banned during 1936-1975 due to a dictatorship that Spain suffered during those years. Many old Basque people don’t know to speak Basque because they were strongly punished if they had used it. As you are able to speak basque, you are a “Euskaldun” (euskaraz ahal duena) in English, (the one that speaks in Basque). You are welcome to this country!
2 x
Iliad: 12 / 24

Return to “General Language Discussion”