3%
I only finish good courses
19%
I sometimes even finish the same course several times over
12%

Total votes: 69

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Re: Do you finish your courses?

Postby Odair » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:14 am

When I feel I can start tackling native content courses suddenly feel too dull and uninteresting. I will leave picking the remaining grammar points to when I can read grammars meant for native speakers.
Last edited by Odair on Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:39 pm

I finished my French studies at the university in 1981, but since then I have never participated in anything resembling a language course (apart from listening to some of the brief language introductions at some of the gatherings). And I have read several text books and language guides from A to Z, but without exception skipped much most of the content along the way (first and foremost the exercises - I want information, not a third degree interrogation). And I have never ever used the audio accompanying a textbook - the ultrashort snippets I have heard long ago were simply unbearable.

So I have to admit that I never have finished a language course :D
0 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:50 pm

I do finish courses, but not necessarily all of them. Courses make my language learning a lot easier. Vocabulary, idioms, grammar etc. are introduced gradually. I also use the audio, even though it can be painfully slow. I find that I can often learn something from courses even after I've reached a level where I can read novels, watch movies and have meaningful conversations.
4 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:24 am

Tom wrote:I only did one course. I finished about 80% and then jumped into native content.

I only did one course (1981) and then jumped into the native continent.
Latin America that is.

:mrgreen:
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:12 pm

All of the above. The common thread in my language learning is chaos. :twisted:
8 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 am

Wrong question!
For me the question should be "Do you start your courses" and the answer would be "rarely". I have a whole stack of courses which I was burning for to start when I ordered them, but never did when I received them. :roll:
5 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:21 pm

I replied that I only finish good courses. Now "good" can be subjective, because it depends on what methods you prefer. I've never finished an Assimil course, because I don't really find that their method appeals to my style of learning.

I always try to finish a course book when I find it useful. I did both Colloquial Russian courses because I found them useful and good.
4 x
Ich grolle nicht

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:47 am

I think technically I've only finished 3. I put "I only finish good courses".
The first course I finished was German at school, which to be fair, was mandatory for me to finish because it's school, I wasn't going to let myself fail a subject. But my German is terrible, so it obviously didn't pay off. I forgot most of it within a year, as I only went to Germany a year after graduating, so I got to put it to the test.

The second course is the one my Vietnamese tutor has put me through. He taught out of a text book, which we've seen through start-to-finish and completing all the challenges along the way. We're at the stage of applying and practicing that knowledge and strengthening what I remember, improving my vocabulary, improving my speaking, listening and writing. However, the course itself is complete.

The third course was Mango's Tuvan course, which was only an introduction to the language, which only covers the basics but was enough to get me started. Although I wish it has more, because I really like their teaching style, I have been trying to learn through another source, but I don't find that as engaging and may wait until I can get lessons with a tutor, as I know somebody whose wife teaches it .

But otherwise, I am not usually good at finishing things. As maybe evidence by the fact for German it was mandatory, for Vietnamese I had somebody get me through it and for Tuvan, well, it was short. I think it is good to see something through, but the reality is, you'll never stop learning and as long as you are still learning and progressing, then how you get there depends entirely what works for you. If a course plateaus and doing something else helps more, then I see no issue...other than I guess to your wallet lol.
3 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Return to “General Language Discussion”