New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
LupCenușiu
Languages: RO (educated sarcastic native) EN (emulating fluency) GE, FR(various degrees of incompetency)

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby LupCenușiu » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm

why Argüelles thinks it's possible "for an average Joe", i.e. not for a literary scholar but just I random person who's an avid reader and would love to read great books in the original.

I don't think is even a debate if is possible or not. People already did that, some surpassed that number by quite a lot. So, maybe a better question would be : is it probable? And now we come to another question, how much time and effort that "average Joe" is willing to invest in that endeavor? A motivated "average Joe", with enough stamina and discipline would succeed most likely. Could be a post factum debate if Joe is still average or not after that feat, but there is no reason to think is impossible.

People fail more often by lack of trust in own skills, discipline, motivation and such than by lack of capabilities per se. As a fun exercise, imagine a benevolent patron would grant you one million dollars for each language you bring to that level (minimum 6). Pretty sure would give at least a good try at that. So "average Joe", avid reader that would love to read great books in the original, has to check his motivation against that example.
1 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading)

Postby einzelne » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:21 pm

thevagrant88 wrote:So, I’m confused. Why are you complaining about that here and now if that wasn’t the focus of the video?

Because generally I find his approach to language learning realistic and his learning techniques useful. Besides, we share the same language learning philosophy — I don't see the point of learning a dozen of languages just for doomscrolling or reading Harry Potter at best. I learn a language when I see something intellectually or esthetically appealing which is not available in the languages I already know. Just like for him, for me languages are a medium of spiritual exercise. So It's disappointing to see him persisting in this "6 languages for reading literature" claim. It reeks of 'fluent in no time' messages, and he's not that type of a person.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Fr, NL, De, Eo, Sranantongo (rusty).
Studying: Es, Indo.

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:26 pm

tungemål wrote:On how many languages Europeans speak: I'd say 3 is not uncommon: Native language, English, and one or even two more that you studied in school.

There'll be some, but how real is this now as a general principle? Earlier on this evening I watched an hour programme on RTS about the Swiss railways and although it was in German the narration had been converted to French and all the people speaking were dubbed into French. This is hardly the picture of linguistic plurality, and in a country with multiple official languages!
1 x
Extensive reading - One book a month for 2022: 8 / 12
Duolingo Esperanto from French - for fun: 25 / 69
La nuit s'achève et quand vient le matin, la rosée pleure avec tous mes chagrins.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 pm

Le Baron wrote:We already know the truth that in African countries where French is the 'official language', only a small, elite percentage speak it properly, if at all.

Absolute nonsense.

Go spend a few days in ... say... Douala, Cameroon. North of 50% of the population speaks French.

(... and French spoken in the various dialects of Africa is as proper as Canadian, Swiss, or Belgian French)
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Le Baron
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Fr, NL, De, Eo, Sranantongo (rusty).
Studying: Es, Indo.

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:07 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Le Baron wrote:We already know the truth that in African countries where French is the 'official language', only a small, elite percentage speak it properly, if at all.

Absolute nonsense.

Go spend a few days in ... say... Douala, Cameroon. North of 50% of the population speaks French.

(... and French spoken in the various dialects of Africa is as proper as Canadian, Swiss, or Belgian French)

But I've been to Senegal, briefly in Chad, Mali and Burundi. Also some places in the old Maghreb. I can't go everywhere. It just isn't what it was. And even the official stats register the percentages as low. It's a sliding scale as well, so even though you come across speakers it ranges from good to broken. The major percentage are city people and often the middle classes getting decent education. On French TV they sometimes dub over people speaking 'French'.

It isn't nonsense,
1 x
Extensive reading - One book a month for 2022: 8 / 12
Duolingo Esperanto from French - for fun: 25 / 69
La nuit s'achève et quand vient le matin, la rosée pleure avec tous mes chagrins.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 pm

Le Baron wrote:But I've been to Senegal, briefly in Chad, Mali and Burundi. Also some places in the old Maghreb.

Based on your experience (and I've not been to most of those), I can see your point of view.

But it certainly isn't true for DRC, RC, Cameroon, Gabon, etc...
These are not countries where only small percentages speak French. Algeria is ... complicated.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:19 pm

Korean in 3 Months - 1st Month Progress, 2nd Month New Steps:

Duration: 15:59
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:31 pm

So, more than 3 lessons a day. Impressive.
Especially if it's really just 2 hrs a day.
False beginner.
Lots of Anki.
3 x

cito
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) //
French, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ae#p192071

Postby cito » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:36 pm

zenmonkey wrote:So, more than 3 lessons a day. Impressive.
Especially if it's really just 2 hrs a day.
False beginner.
Lots of Anki.

Ardashir got the language learning gene, I see :lol:.
3 x
Goals to complete before Jan. 1, 2023
15 French Books: 7 / 15
Learn New Testament Greek, first 20 lessons: 20 / 20
Longterm Goals:
Italian Athènaze Vol 1: 3 / 16

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:24 pm

How and Why to Talk to Your Mirror - Solo Conversation Practice with Assimil Manuals:

Duration: 13:01

(I'm watching it now.)
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki

Return to “General Language Discussion”