How can I help my child learn Chinese

General discussion about learning languages
Amy Stewart
Languages: English (N), Chinese (beginner)

How can I help my child learn Chinese

Postby Amy Stewart » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 am

My daughter, Mia has just started learning Chinese and I want to help her, but I don't know Chinese myself, so I looked for a lot of learning resources online. But it is really hard for non-native Chinese speakers, especially beginners, to learn Chinese on their own.
Then a Chinese friend of mine recommended me to let Mia take online Chinese lessons, and there are many websites that now have very good Chinese lessons.
So I started browsing through some websites that offer Chinese lessons and found that most of them offer free trial lessons. Mia took a few trial lessons and was very satisfied with REDACTED Mia likes their courseware so much.
Here are some Chinese learning experiences that I summed up during my daughter's Chinese learning process. I'd like to recommend them to you to accompany your child on this path of learning Chinese smoothly while providing greater support and help.
1. Lead your child to take notes during class. Prepare a notebook or a piece of paper for your child, and write down important points or questions that your child does not understand which can help your child learn.
2. Have your child speak and repeat Chinese as much as possible. Imitating the people in the video or audio and speaking Chinese together can improve Chinese pronunciation. Try to play it back as many times as possible to correct the tones.
3. Prepare Chinese picture books for your child. Picture books with colorful pictures can quickly attract your child’s interest.
4. Find some topics to test daily. There is an old saying in Chinese that “practice makes perfect”, so repeating often will definitely have a possitive effect.
Also, I would really like some advice from you about learning Chinese. :D
2 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studies: Latin, French, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17465

Re: How can I help my child learn Chinese

Postby Querneus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:47 pm

This is more of a meta-comment, but I find it interesting that you're interested in helping your child learn a language at all. :)

When my parents signed my brother and me up for English (EFL) classes on Saturdays, at ages 7 and 9 respectively, they didn't think of helping us at all. Nor did I ever hear of any classmates getting much help or involvement from their parents. They just forced us to attend (it's not like we wanted to spend our Saturdays that way) and that was kind of it? Off we went and learned.

Amy Stewart wrote:4. Find some topics to test daily. There is an old saying in Chinese that “practice makes perfect”, so repeating often will definitely have a possitive effect.

That's an English saying!

Although I'm finding there's apparently the similar saying 熟能生巧 shúnéngshēngqiǎo in Mandarin.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”