Have you stopped learning a specific language before?

General discussion about learning languages
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Have you stopped learning a specific language before?

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:18 am

I've abandoned a few, but I do come back to them now and again for a look, especially if I went some way. I feel like I gained something from even the ones I no longer actively learn.
Nowadays I'm careful. I only start a language after long consideration, based upon access to resources and chances for using it. I expect to be with it for some time, rather than a dalliance. Even though I see value in something like Japanese, the likelihood of me going there or throwing myself into Japanese literature seems a remote possibility. I also can't abide things like Japanese anime. So I just leave the language alone. I have enough to do.
3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:33 am

After seeing just how long and difficult it has been to learn Japanese, I feel similarly. I don't mind learning Japanese, since it's nice to be able to understand anime somewhat and so on, but I just can't imagine the prospect of spending another three years studying Korean when I have much less motivation than I did for Japanese.
5 x

zgriptsuroica
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Advanced, especially reading), Spanish (Advanced), Brazilian Portuguese (Advanced), Japanese (beginner), Icelandic (just starting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17372

Postby zgriptsuroica » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:33 am

Like many others, I've definitely started some and then placed them on indefinite hiatus. It's hard to say whether they'll be rescued or not. I imagine lack of time will prevent me from truly looping back around to them all, but at the same time I've found things that were challenging before no longer seem quite as impossible after a bit of experience in another language that gave me some valuable perspective that helped to loosen the knot holding me back in another. I think of the ones I've already attempted, I'm most likely to loop back around to Irish and Finnish, with a toss up between German and Norwegian for place number 3.
4 x
Genki I: 0 / 12

breeda1
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Esperanto (A2) Arabic (A1)

Postby breeda1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:58 pm

Iversen wrote:I once started to read TY Arabic, and I dropped it as soon as I discovered that the Arabs mostly don't write their vowels. How can you learn such a language from books alone?

Yeah, that turned me off from Arabic at first too. The more I learned about the language, the more it made sense why the Arabic alphabet functions the way that it does. Unfortunately, I feel like a lot of Arabic resources, even good ones, don't properly explain the Arabic language enough to get past this hurdle in an efficient manner.
1 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 am

I think it's totally normal. I started my (non-scholastic) language learning journey with Japanese, and barely got anywhere with it. Reflecting and realizing how much I loved being in France during a vacation when I was 16, I started learning French. Haven't looked back since. Every once in a while I pick up a Japanese book and flip through or read a little, but I am not sure I'll ever try and learn it again. That's alright tho!
2 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI: 28 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 21 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:52 pm

I like these questions - they make me think and remember different experiences...

Stopping implies starting; and to me, starting implies that I really meant to learn that language to some level (say, to be able to create grammatical sentences)... and stopping implies I have the intention of never learning that language again. So there are a couple of languages that I really stopped, they were going to be too difficult for me to acquire to any useful level and I wanted to avoid a black hole.

But most of the languages I've tried are on pause, waiting for their time to roll around again. And then, there's some that were not really started - I learned enough nouns and adjectives to communicate while traveling, but never had an intention of really learning.
3 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Postby bolaobo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 pm

I stopped learning Russian. Something about the language just didn't click with me. I didn't like how the language sounded, and I had no connection with the culture.

For all my other languages, I maintain them. I nearly gave up Hindi, but recently I've gotten interested again, so I'm glad I stayed in contact with the language during my hiatus.
0 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 11 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 30 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 85 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 3 / 15

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:01 pm

Stopped: Time and again. Given up: Never.
To quote the old proverb, "七転び八起き" (lit. "seven times falling down, eight times rising up")!
5 x

fresh_air
Yellow Belt
Languages: English*, Portuguese

Learning: Russian

Postby fresh_air » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:50 pm

firewheel wrote:Hi Friends,

Just a random topic for discussion.

Did you have an experience whereby you started learning a language, but it was very challenging and difficult for you, so you stopped learning it?

Dropping languages is the easy part. Sticking with a language without dropping takes a monumental level of willpower. It's like asking a chain-smoker to quit cold-turkey.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:22 am

fresh_air wrote:Dropping languages is the easy part. Sticking with a language without dropping takes a monumental level of willpower. It's like asking a chain-smoker to quit cold-turkey.

I thought the analogy with smoking was "Quitting French study is easy, I've done it dozens of times".
9 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”