Are monolingual Anki cards really effective?

General discussion about learning languages
ryclassic
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (B2), French (B2)

Are monolingual Anki cards really effective?

Postby ryclassic » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:34 am

I'm using Anki on my French studies, and as I got to a level where I could more easily read texts, I decided I would use mainly monolingual cards (Sentence - Meaning in my target language).

But although I can understand the meaning of the word by reading its definition in the dictionary, I start feeling insecure for one reason.

I understand the meaning, but as I can't associate the French word with some other word in my mother tongue (Portuguese), I feel like I wouldn't use properly.

The thing is, if I see it, I will know the meaning by the context, BUT I think I wouldn't be able to USE correctly while speaking.

Is this a ""irrational"" fear and it's all part of the process, or should I look for another card models to use?
1 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: Are monolingual Anki cards really effective?

Postby einzelne » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:18 am

I never could understand the idea behind monolingual cards. I think, overall, good monolingual dictionaries are an excellent source for language learning, especially when they are specifically designed for language learners (grammar points, the proper use of idioms, explanations of the shadows of meaning lost in translation etc). But using monolingual cards for reviewing your vocabulary? Quite often, it doesn't make any sense:

"a large lobed glandular organ in the abdomen of vertebrates, involved in many metabolic processes"

"a medium-sized motor vehicle with a boxy shape and high roof, used for transporting goods or passengers"

"cause surprise or confusion in (someone), especially by acting against their expectations"

Why not just use put the translation for 'liver', 'van', and 'to confound' in your native language since you practice recognition only?

I think monolingual cards are good for drilling grammar patterns, not for vocabulary review.
4 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:52 am

You dont get the hability to correctly use the words in context from flashcards. Flashcards only get you some minimal familiarity with the words, so that when you meet them again in reading or listening, you can figure out their meanings in context.

It is only after meeting them again and again, in different contexts, that you can properly learn how to use a word.

Active flashcards are useful, but I think it is better not do it for a word I have just learned. I do it only for words that are already familiar on the passive side (i.e. that I know I can understand perfectly when reading or listening, having seen it a few times on the wild), that I want to make sure it gets into my active vocabulary.

I only use monolingual cards, because translations, except for simple concrete words like names of things are often misleading.
Last edited by 白田龍 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 pm

白田龍 wrote:I only use monolingual cards, because translations, except for simple concrete words like names of things are often misleading.

That's true, but also words in a foreign language are easy to employ in a mistaken way. The shades of meaning can fool you into thinking you have the right word (or the right shade of meaning). Even though I might use a monolingual card (I don't) I feel I'm still actually comparing it with the native language version deep in my mind, even if not very consciously.

It's tricky because for French (as this is the language the OP mentioned) there are many ways to render e.g. 'although' or 'even though' with a lot of overlap and it's good to know the comparative differences.

In Dutch people tend to use 'waterdicht' (watertight) to mean any sort of thing preventing water interference. But waterdicht (watertight), waterbestendig (water-resistent/waterproof), waterafstotend (water-repellent) all have different meanings. You also hear 'waterproof' indicating people think the other three are somehow not accurate enough describe whatever they want to indicate.
Of course people use words loosely all the time, but for accuracy, in things like technical/scientific reading, I think it's good to know the accurate translations because as einzelne says even monolingual dictionaries can mislead.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “General Language Discussion”