Best App for language learning

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Green Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Best App for language learning

Postby luke » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:34 am

ryanheise wrote:
thelazyoxymoron wrote:
ryanheise wrote:Outside of that, I just use some custom-made scripts and programs within Linux to help me to do targeted practice, which I find is a good substitute for apps.

I'd be interested to hear more about this :)

OK, so here is how it works (and why it might actually be of interest to language learners):

Linux is an alternative to Windows and macOS where the primary means of interaction is not through a point and click of the mouse, but rather through language!

Reminds me of a frequency investigation of Don Quixote I once did on Linux:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... p?TID=4045

Basically, I started with the text from gutenberg.org.
Turn it into long list with each word on a new line.
Pass that through various 'sed' transformations to:
remove hyphens and other punctuation
lower case everything
convert conjugated verbs infinitive (both regular and irregular)
convert plurals to singular
Sort the list.
Count the uniq words.
Sort by the word count.

I don't have that script handy anymore. It wasn't perfect and the algorithm may have been slightly more complicated than above, but it was fairly easy and interesting to do.

Apparently I posted it to HTLAL, but due to some criticism, "removed the eyesore", which is unfortunate, because I'm curious all these years later. Also why I try to be sensitive in criticism, as the fallout can be unfortunate and unnecessary.

Another cool thing about Linux is you can do a lot of this on the command line, make a quick adjustment, run it again. Once you have something worth keeping, save it to a script and continue to refine it.

And just as a note, everything I've written in Perl, I later regretted that I didn't choose an easier language, like the Linux shell to maintain. (since I'm not a professional programmer). For me, there's been a similar lesson with language learning. Get really good at something, rather than switching plates. Getting to an intermediate level in a language, whether programming or human has generally ended up not bearing fruit in the long term. I have to go all the way, however that's defined.
3 x

Dimi
Languages: Bulgarian(N), Russian(Advanced), English(B2), German(B2.1)

Postby Dimi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:57 am

Hi All,

I'm new here. I recently developed an goal/activity tracking Android app specifically designed for language learners like us. It's called Lingo Journal and you can find it in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teraculus.lingojournalandroid

It will not teach you a language but it will help you stay motivated with daily or long-term goals. I use it for learning German. For example, I have a daily goals for reading a book (currently G.Orwell's "Animal Farm", highly recommended), a long-term goal for finishing the same book, and 2 other daily goals for listening and writing in German.

I can track all of my language learning activities and use the stat page to check if I'm getting lazy or not :D. Also the daily notification reminds me not to forget to track my activities and goals.

I hope this app could be useful for you as well. Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback. I'm happy to answer any questions.
0 x

Gala
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (fluent), French (intermediate)

Postby Gala » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:37 pm

I really like Linguno:https://www.linguno.com/

Surprised it hasn't been discussed more here. I just searched the forums for it and it looks like only one member has ever mentioned it.

It's not yet an app although it will be at some point; it's a site that's still in beta and therefore still completely free. They say that all of the activities are configured to work well in a browser on a mobile, but I can't comment on that as I've only used it on my laptop and tablet. They also say they haven't decided on a business model yet, but claim that all of the currently available activities and features will remain free.

Like Clozemaster, it's built around sentences from Tatoeba but offers more for free (although only for six languages [all European.])
2 x

Kraut
Brown Belt
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:39 pm

https://www.languagereactor.com/catalog ... anguage=es

was Language Learning with YouTube/Netflix, now: Language Reactor

some impressive features:

- catalogue for language learning on YouTube
- reading tool with import function
- like LingoPlayer import your Sat-TV recordings, work with the subtitles

etc
2 x

anto1032
Languages: Speaks: Danish, English
Learning: French

Postby anto1032 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:54 pm

Hello rdearman.
i can see that this is a bit old thread, but none of the less, i want to share my experience with finding the best suited language learning website for me. I stumbled over Llinko it is a website where you can discover foreign language learning sites based of what your native language is and what language you want to learn. And you can also give your gratitude towards a website by sharing a link such that other people can check it out.

Best Anton
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”