What did you suddenly realize you'd been pronouncing wrong?

General discussion about learning languages
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others

Re: What did you suddenly realize you'd been pronouncing wrong?

Postby eido » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:08 pm

I always have trouble pronouncing technical words in English. Since I read about languages most often in this context, I mess up a lot. The word "agglutinative" was an instant mess-up. I had to use it in a speech I was doing about East Asian languages, and before I looked it up, I was sub-vocalizing it as "aggloo-nihtihve". I find I mix up vowels and shorten words when things get too long or foreign. I guess I just need more patience and exposure to foreign words.

As for Spanish, sometimes I forget the stress patterns of the language if I haven't practiced in a while. I think this is because we never were taught explicitly the stress patterns in class. So while I'm fairly sure how to pronounce new words, sometimes I end up guessing, and guessing wrong. I know, I could just look up how to pronounce certain words or what the stress pattern is, but for some reason it's easier for me to intuit the process rather than memorize it.

The other day I forgot how to pronounce an important word - "estuvo" (was) - and spent 2 minutes trying to figure out if the stress fell on the U or the O. I finally decided it had to fall on the U because it's an irregular verb and conjugation, but damn if it didn't have me going there.
1 x

avalon
White Belt
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)

Postby avalon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 am

When I was a kid I misread "misled" as MY-zled.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 am

bedroom when i was a child was ‘bedgeroom’.

nuclear when i was embarrassingly much older was pronounced ‘nyookyoola(r)’. Still have to focus on that one.
1 x

Dragon27
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English (decent)
Polish (decent comprehension, rudimental speaking)
Spanish (beginner)
been taught German and Tatar in school... ineffectually

Postby Dragon27 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:17 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:nuclear when i was embarrassingly much older was pronounced ‘nyookyoola(r)’. Still have to focus on that one.

The last sequence (-clear) is not very common in English language, and many educated people (even up to US presidents Eisenhower and Bush) mispronounce it as if it was written "nucular" (since -cular is a much more common and familiar ending in English language: spectacular, molecular, particular, etc.).

P.S. Actually, there's even a wiki-page devoted to this particular mispronunciation.
4 x

Hashimi
Orange Belt

Postby Hashimi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 pm

I used to pronounce shepherd as 'shefferd'!
5 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Laboratory. I thought I was doing it right, but then I saw all these great old English science fiction movies...
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”