Most wanted languages in the world that can get you a job?

General discussion about learning languages
israelrt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Malayalam A2, Hindi A2, French (A1), Latin (beginner), Norwegian (beginner), Finnish (beginner), Latvian (beginner), Hebrew (beginner), Hungarian (beginner)

Re: Most wanted languages in the world that can get you a job?

Postby israelrt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am

Proficiency in Cantonese and Gujarati would serve to set you apart from the usual applicants.

Many expatriate "Chinese", business people are Cantonese (in Australia and the US), Hokkien, Teochew or Hakka speakers (Singapore, Taiwan). Although they often understand Putonghua ("Mandarin" /Huayu/Guoyu), speaking their native language would be obviously beneficial.

Similarly although many North Indians will understand and speak some kind of mangled Hindi, speaking their native language would be better. Gujaratis are prominent in Indian business, both at home and overseas. If you choose a Dravidian Indian language, Tamil would be a great choice.
1 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:49 am

israelrt wrote:Proficiency in Cantonese and Gujarati would serve to set you apart from the usual applicants.

Many expatriate "Chinese", business people are Cantonese (in Australia and the US), Hokkien, Teochew or Hakka speakers (Singapore, Taiwan). Although they often understand Putonghua ("Mandarin" /Huayu/Guoyu), speaking their native language would be obviously beneficial.

Similarly although many North Indians will understand and speak some kind of mangled Hindi, speaking their native language would be better. Gujaratis are prominent in Indian business, both at home and overseas. If you choose a Dravidian Indian language, Tamil would be a great choice.

On the other hand, learning Hindi and Mandarin will allow you access to more material resources (not to mention cognates, etc.) with which to actually learn Gujarati and Cantonese.
1 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

SM11
White Belt
Languages: French Native
Fluent in English and Portuguese
Learning Chinese mandarin

Postby SM11 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Doctor035 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm planning to enroll Philology faculty but I don't know what to chose. I'm interested in Scandinavian, Japanese, Arabian and Chinese. Can I find a good job (or go abroad) with those languages? Or is there something better right now to chose?

Hi Doctor035,

Well, yes the first one that comes into my mind is Chinese Mandarin.

I'm a French native, currently studying economy at university and I have Chinese Mandarin classes as well. I went to study for a month and a half in Ningbo (near Shanghai), and I met some French expatriates working there. One of them told me how it was easy to find a job after he got his HSK 5.

The guy did a bachelor degree in France with something related to economy, then he spent one year in Ningbo just to study Chinese. He got a great job as soon as he started to look for jobs, working in with suppliers for big companies. Apparently just the fact that he spoke both French and Chinese was so precious. He didn't have to do such complicate things in his job I think, and his Chinese wasn't perfect as well (far from that he told me), but it was enough to communicate with Chinese people.

Even though he wouldn't put the words in the right order (which is really difficult when you're European), Chinese people could still understand him, and it was more than enough for him to get a job there. And obviously, he had a good salary there, and since the cost of live is so cheap there, he's doing pretty good right now ^^

So yeah, if you already speak a Western language, it's really good advantage to know a non-Western one, because there's few people like this. And I think Chinese is the one with the biggest opportunities yeah.

Hope that can clarify your thoughts a bit.

Good luck with Chinese if you plan to learn it, it's not an easy one, that's the only problem... ^^'
1 x
articles about French language, French culture & motivation here

Return to “General Language Discussion”