New LLorg Wiki articles

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: New LLorg Wiki articles

Postby tommus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Serpent wrote:@tommus, please refrain from creating pages for word lists. Language islands should be ok because it's unique content and not something that can be found with a quick google search.

The two lists (Fruit and Vegetables) are not isolated word lists. They are right beside the Dutch Language Islands of Eating, Brunch, Breakfast and Dinner. If some native Dutch member would work those two lists of fruit and vegetables into a nice language island, that would be great and the word lists could be deleted. In the meantime, they complement other Dutch Language Islands and are all categorized as Dutch Language Islands. So I think they are useful as written and at the moment have a legitimate place in the Wiki. I don't think they will bother anyone or detract from the Wiki.
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:41 pm

fcoulter wrote:Its existence means that no other page named Fruit can be added. And if the page is renamed, the old page is automatically turned into a redirect page to the new page, thus still blocking the old page.

But one can edit that redirect page, it isn't permanently blocked.

Personally, for the content for the Wiki, I think that people can concentrate on whatever they want to add as long as it is in the public domain, factual and related to language learning.

I doubt anyone is going to take the time to post all of the FSI material in the Wiki but if someone did, why would that be such a bad thing? It's not like the Wiki is so large we are having hosting problems.

Personally, I won't be creating a lot of content for the Wiki - I think other people are well suited for content, I'd rather contribute on the technical side. Choosing my battles.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:47 pm

tommus wrote:
Serpent wrote:@tommus, please refrain from creating pages for word lists. Language islands should be ok because it's unique content and not something that can be found with a quick google search.

The two lists (Fruit and Vegetables) are not isolated word lists. They are right beside the Dutch Language Islands of Eating, Brunch, Breakfast and Dinner. If some native Dutch member would work those two lists of fruit and vegetables into a nice language island, that would be great and the word lists could be deleted. In the meantime, they complement other Dutch Language Islands and are all categorized as Dutch Language Islands. So I think they are useful as written and at the moment have a legitimate place in the Wiki. I don't think they will bother anyone or detract from the Wiki.

In the future I think it's better to link to existing word lists online instead of copying them to the wikia.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:57 pm

I've got to ask. What's a language island and how is it unique content? (The way it's being used here doesn't seem to match to the definition in Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_island)

And is there an active Administrator for the wiki? (I'm thinking about contacting Wikia and asking to be made an Administrator if one doesn't show up.)
Last edited by fcoulter on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Serpent wrote:In the future I think it's better to link to existing word lists online instead of copying them to the wikia.

OK. Could you point me to links to common Fruit and Vegetables bilingual Dutch-English lists in a decent format? I'll link to them.

Thanks.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:14 pm

fcoulter wrote:And is there an active Administrator for the wiki? (I'm thinking about contacting Wikia and asking to be made an Administrator if one doesn't show up.)
No, there isn't. Have you found the posts on the old forum that indicate who started it? I'm pretty sure they made an announcement.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:24 pm

I've applied for Wiki Admin status: https://community.wikia.com/wiki/Adopti ... y_Language

There's a blog post if you want to make any comments: https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki ... in_Request From what I understand, the Powers That Be at Wikia look at the comments to see if anyone disagrees. (You could also post here, but I don't think that the PTB@W will notice.)
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:46 pm

When you become admin, will you be able to change the name of the wiki to something LLorgier?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:35 pm

Update on Dutch Language Islands:

I moved the main description of Dutch Language Islands and associated links to a sub-page in the Wiki. I replaced this information that was on the main Dutch page with a very short description of Dutch Language Islands, and moved it further down the main Dutch page. I added this statement: "These islands are also a good source of Dutch/English parallel text." I don't think there is any need for a separate section for parallel Dutch/English text, but there could be if necessary. And there could be Dutch/"other language" parallel text, and related islands for that matter.

The main Dutch page in the Wiki
0 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 am

smallwhite wrote:When you become admin, will you be able to change the name of the wiki to something LLorgier?

I doubt it. I think the reason the original name is what it is (and this is just a guess) is that it was supposed to support both forums. Therefore having the name be either of the two forum names would be insulting to the other group.

On the other hand, since I don't have access to the Administrative Control Panel, that could be a possibility. But if it was done, then all the links to the current wiki from outside would be broken. Would that be worth it? Before I did anything that drastic, I would definitely poll the two forums.

It might make more sense for whoever the owner is of the language-learners.org domain to map the wiki subdomain to the existing wiki. Then you could get there by going to wiki.language-learners.org as well as learnanylanguge.wikia.org. But that's way beyond what I think a wiki administrator could do. (The same could be done from the other forum's domain, too. There's no rule that says you can only map one domain to another.)

As for "when" I become admin? That hasn't happened yet, and may not happen. Right now there's a seven day window for people to contact wikia (or maybe just post comments to the blog post; I'm not sure of the way to say "no") and say that I'm an obvious Nazi and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an admin control panel.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”