New LLorg Wiki articles

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

New LLorg Wiki articles

Postby tommus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Now that we have a nice new Wiki link at the top of the Forum pages, lets use it to visit the Wiki, read the material of interest, and contribute new material.

This thread can be used to notify members that new material has been added to, or edited on, the Wiki.

Entries here should include a brief description of the new material that has just been added to the Wiki and a link to it.

Note:

If the administrators and/or the members think there is a better way to do this, that is OK with me. We could delete this thread if it is not the best way to provide notices of new material on the Wiki.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tommus
Blue Belt

Re: New LLorg Wiki articles

Postby tommus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Reserved for help/tutorials on how to more easily edit and add to the LLorg Wiki.

Short Tutorial

1. Go to an any Wiki page
2. Click the Edit button to edit on that page.

To add a new page and link to it:

1. Go to any page and click on ADD
2. Input the name of your new page
3. Add material and edit it using the icons, etc.
4. Some users may find it easier to go to the drop-down menu beside the three horizontal short lines and select "source editor", and add text material, click "apply changes", and then format the material back in the main edit screen.
5. Save page
6. Briefly describe the addition or change
7. IMPORTANT: Note the name and/or the URL of this page before you leave it. Make a copy of the name and/or the URL so you can use it later.
8. Go to some other appropriate page and add a link to your new page (the name or URL you saved)
9. Tell us about your new page in this thread on the Forum.

Edit: Further info on point 7.
Last edited by tommus on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:58 pm

New Dutch "language islands"

I just added 33 new Dutch/English "languages islands". Some are small "islands". Some are very long articles, parts of which could be used as language islands. All are in parallel Dutch/English format.

New Dutch/English "languages islands"

Feel free to use these language islands to make islands for other languages. But please put those in the sections for those languages, not in the Dutch islands section. Note the Wikipedia Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License for most of these islands.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Suggest you add a Category to this content - I've added "Dutch Language Islands" for a few of the pages.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:38 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Suggest you add a Category to this content - I've added "Dutch Language Islands" for a few of the pages.

OK. Thanks. I just added the others.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:31 am

I just looked at several articles, and noticed a few of them made references to threads in the old HTLAL forum. I think someone or some people should look into writing reworded summaries of the ideas found in those threads. Some articles do have that, but others relied on the old HTLAL forum being there.

I'll try to get some of this work done now and then.
0 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby fcoulter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:33 am

Substantially updated and expanded the Pimsleur page: https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Pimsleur

Added any language that Pimsleur taught that wasn't already in the wiki

Added a note to all languages that referenced the FSI difficulty. This involved adding a reference section to those pages.

Minor random cleanups. Go to my user page if you want details: https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/User:Fcoulter

Substantially updated and expanded the Duolingo page: https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Duo-lingo

Added any missing languages from Duolingo

Then I took a break for Thanksgiving, since I don't have a computer.
0 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:44 am

tommus wrote:7. IMPORTANT: Note the URL of this page before you leave it. Make a copy of the URL.
8. Go to some other appropriate page and add a link to your new page (the URL you saved)
9. Tell us about your new page in this thread on the Forum.

The entire point of a wiki is that you DON'T need to remember the URL of another page within the wiki. All you need to know is the name of the other page.

The simple way to link to another article in the wiki is the following.

1) Include the name of the other article in the text you're editing.

2) Highlight the article name

3) Click the link button. If what you highlighted is an exact match, click OK. If what you highlighted is not an exact match, change the text in the dialog box to the name of the article, click OK.

4) If you want to link to something that's not on the wiki, replace the text on the dialog box with the full url, including http://.

By the way, if you link to a page that doesn't exist (yet), it's the same as linking to a page that does exist. It will show up in red. Then, after you're finished editing and saving the current page, click on the red text and it will create the new page for you.
0 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 am

By the way, you can see all the recent changes to the wiki by selecting recent changes on the top menu.

You can also see the old and new version of a page by selecting the history tab of the page.
0 x

fcoulter
Orange Belt

Postby fcoulter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 am

Be careful when creating a page. For example, someone recently created a page called Fruit. (https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Fruit) It consists of a list of fruits in English and one other, unidentified language. I'm not sure what the heck the plan is.

If the plan is to craft a dictionary of fruit for a single language, it needs to say so in the page title. If the plan is to define fruit in every language, then it should have been set up as a table, so new columns could be added for other languages.

As is the new page is worse than useless. Its existence means that no other page named Fruit can be added. And if the page is renamed, the old page is automatically turned into a redirect page to the new page, thus still blocking the old page.

When creating a page, think about the future of the wiki, not just your immediate ideas.

Who is the Wiki administrator who's going to fix things like this?
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”