New LLorg Wiki articles

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: New LLorg Wiki articles

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Serpent wrote:
smallwhite wrote: So, someone searches “SRS” on Google, lands on LLorg, sees a post where Serpent refers to the wiki, and bye bye our potential member is gone? If so, hosting wiki software on LLorg is a must OR using the current static/blog/whatever pages to house wikiish information is a must. Whatever keeps people inside LLorg.
The wikia still has tons of links to forum posts. That's why I'm in favour of replacing links to htlal with links to LLORG instead of summarizing the content.
also, one is unlikely to find the forum with such a basic search term. Meanwhile if you search for subs2srs, our wikia is the third hit, while forum posts are at the bottom of the page (but it's still all on the first page :D)

If we want to improve ranking on Google, the thing to do is implement an RSS feed and a google site map. Manually trying to do that from the wiki is just too much manual overhead.

And I just checked - the feed already exists at https://forum.language-learners.org/feed.php, only the google site map is missing.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:05 pm

zenmonkey wrote:And I just checked - the feed already exists at https://forum.language-learners.org/feed.php, only the google site map is missing.

There is an extension for that, but from the reviews sounds a little buggy. Which is perhaps why EMK didn't implement it during the recent change over. I have no idea if the wiki site has any of that.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:And I just checked - the feed already exists at https://forum.language-learners.org/feed.php, only the google site map is missing.

There is an extension for that, but from the reviews sounds a little buggy. Which is perhaps why EMK didn't implement it during the recent change over. I have no idea if the wiki site has any of that.

I saw that extension. It's not clear how well it works. It's been dowloaded a lot of times and only has a few complaints. Seems like a lot of those were resolved?
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:31 am

fcoulter wrote:I doubt it. I think the reason the original name is what it is (and this is just a guess) is that it was supposed to support both forums. Therefore having the name be either of the two forum names would be insulting to the other group.
The wikia was created when only the old forum existed. I guess the name was supposed to be a shortened version of HTLAL.
After numerous problems the members moved to this forum. The name is different as a courtesy to the original administrator, and for various other reasons too (the old name is also a book title; it's pretty long too).
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:50 pm

New Dutch Language Island added to the LLorg Wiki

Verenigde Naties Universele Verklaring van de Rechten van de Mens

United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Wiki article - Universele Verklaring van de Rechten van de Mens

This "island" is simply two links to the Dutch and English versions on the United Nations pages. Excellent parallel text of the 30 articles. This UN declaration may be the world's largest collection of parallel texts since the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is available in over 500 languages.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights in over 500 languages
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm

New Dutch Language Island (Internet) added to our LLorg wiki.

Dutch-English Internet article
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”