Password Rotation

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Password Rotation

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Have you rotated your password recently? It is a good idea to rotate your passwords periodically and to never use the same password on all websites. I know this is painful to do, but it is worth it. Longer passwords are better than short ones, and passphrases are best of all. In fact if you use a passphrase you can incorporate the name of the website into the passphrase to make it unique for all sites. My favourite way to generate a passphrase is similar to this. (But not exactly this!)

I pick a memorable year: 1492 (when Columbus sailed the ocean blue) then a phrase you're going to use. Could be anything you can remember, but let's use: I like to walk my dog to LLORG.

Then I hold down the shift key while typing in my year, then I type the date to get:

!$("I like to walk my dog to LLORG.

All the password check sites say the above password is strong, and one tells me it would take a computer about 40 quindecillion years to crack this password (40 followed by 48 zeros).

There have been a lot of websites recently who had their databases hacked into and all of the user passwords stolen. One of them could be yours, and it would be a very good idea to change your passwords at least annually. We don't hold any personal data, and we don't have any problems with our DB, but I would hate to think someone is using the same password here that they use on their bank account!

There are of course "keyrings" software which will hold all your passwords so you can have very long complex ones. But however you manage your passwords, try to rotate them periodically.
14 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Re: Password Rotation

Postby NoManches » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:40 pm

!$("I like to walk my dog to LLORG

Looks like I found my new password. Thanks!
8 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:00 am

I use a password manager, which keeps track with all of them (and which I can log in to on any computer, should I need) and autofills them on my phone/browser (app/plugin, respectively). It also auto-generates random passwords, and I can adjust the parameters as need be. You can also easily update passwords through it as well. And, if you're privacy conscious, there's some that are better than others (I won't mention them, for fear of going too close to politics, but you can PM me if you want some recommendations) when it comes to privacy.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 pm

NoManches wrote:!$("I like to walk my dog to LLORG

Looks like I found my new password. Thanks!

We'll just all switch to that one so if anyone forgets, we can help each other out. That's the way to do it right?
17 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:38 am

14 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:11 pm

6 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

yong321
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Chinese. Spanish, French, Italian, German, reading comprehension only.
Language Log: http://yong321.freeshell.org/misc.html#lang

Postby yong321 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 pm

I have a text file on my computer recording all passwords. But all are written in a way only I know how to interpret. For example, part of the string is omitted because the first two or three letters recorded in there remind me of the rest. And I have a rule to change a digit in the string.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:02 am

I have a text file on my computer, recording all my passwords. This text file is encrypted with a very long, very strong password.

So all I have to do is remember this password, and remember to rotate it every so often.

But I find remembering passwords difficult.

So, I have a 2nd text file on my computer, recording this master password. This text file is encrypted with a very long, very strong password....

:?
3 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”