Content for a new site- language profiles, etc.

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Re: Content for a new site- language profiles, etc. formerly Language profiles- Why reinvent the wheel?

Postby astromule » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:53 am

Perhaps something in this line? http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/
"I'm new"
"Nah"
(That's the last japanese copy/paste, I promess.)

arthaey wrote:
astromule wrote:I'd also like to have "everything in one place". Although I think we should be synthetic, to avoid scaring people away. For example, for Swedish I'd mention Pimsleur, FSI, Assimil; a few series; a few books; the Routledge Grammar and Lexin (online dictionary). That would give a general overview without overwhelming the reader.

I'd like to see both a newbie-friendly list and a comprehensive collection of what folks here have recommended.
1 x

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Re: Content for a new site- language profiles, etc. formerly Language profiles- Why reinvent the wheel?

Postby Bakunin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:41 pm

1e4e6 wrote: [...] If I am not mistaken, Vietnamese is related to Lao and Cantonese, but has a different alphabet than both of them. [...]

I think you're mistaken here. Lao belongs to the Tai-Kadai language family, Vietnamese to Mon-Khmer/Austroasiatic, and Cantonese to the Sino-Tibetan family. So we're dealing here with three different families. Vietnamese has borrowed many Chinese words (some linguists say that 60% of the Vietnamese lexicon is Chinese), but it is still quite different from Chinese.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 pm

1e4e6 wrote:When I started German in school, I remember the class spending lots of time on the 4 cases, many students just trying to figure out how endings actually change on words based on what happens to them in the sentence. It was a bit of a linguistic "shock" because this sort of thing is completely alien to Anglophones, as when we were taught English, we usually do not change the endings (nor articles) based on if it is a direct object, indirect, locative, etc (An apple is on the table. I eat an apple = same article/ending).

Just saw this... I also found it shocking that it's the article that gets the endings, and the adjective/pronoun endings are often random. Still recovering from the shock, really :lol:

As for difficulty or similarity, maybe we can quote Erik Gunnemark's comparison (surely that's fair use?) It was just simple percentages, for example Portuguese/Spanish are above 90% transparent. It covers pretty much all the European languages, and I think it's a decent starting point. I can type that up if needed, and maybe we can add more comparisons/perhaps even make it less European centric.

I guess an article called "Are Chinese and Japanese similar?" would also be popular.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Postby pir » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:16 pm

The Glossika guy, Michael Campbell had an interesting article about comparative difficulty on his blog, which I bookmarked but have not yet had time to think about.

Maybe somebody else would find it useful as well. https://glossika.com/blog/language-difficulty/
1 x

getreallanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (n), English (nn), Italian (int.), Dutch (beg.), Catalan, Swedish, Paraguayan Guarani
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=760

Re: Content for a new site- language profiles, etc.

Postby getreallanguage » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm working on a Spanish language profile for the new static content site. You can find a first draft here: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=760&p=9082#p9082. I welcome all suggestions, additions, corrections, comments etc :)
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Re: Content for a new site- language profiles, etc.

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:34 am

Would it be appropriate to quote Kató Lomb's 10 rules?
0 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

someone's book draft

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:55 am

http://bartanderson.org/draft-july-12-2012/
Just found a random book draft. Not surprisingly, there are references to HTLAL :D
Obviously I'm not suggesting that we copy anything, but this can give us ideas on what to write about.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”