Copyright and This Forum

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Copyright and This Forum

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:55 am

FX owns the copyright on everything over at HTLAL.
Who owns the copyright on the posts on this site?

I just read Takra jenai's post about learning to read Polish. So stark and yet so moving. My first instinct was to share it on Facebook, but two things brought me up short. First, there is no way to share things from here (or is there, and I just don't know how?). Second, I would need permission from the copyright holder to post it elsewhere, whether the copyright holder is this site or Takra jenai.

The post I am writing about is http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/viewtopic.php?p=3152#p3152
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Copyright and This Forum

Postby iguanamon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 am

In any new site, and even this one, I would like to see a Creative Commons License in effect, at a minimum protection.
3 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 am

The original author holds the copyright.
Most legislatures give you permission to quote small extracts with proper attribution without asking (citation right).
(disclaimer: not a lawyer)
2 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Takra jenai

Postby Takra jenai » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:21 am

@MorkTheFiddle
As far as I'm concerned, you (or anybody else) can share anything I've written or will write here with anybody in any way you feel like it.
I'm surprised that the story is 'inspirational'.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I suspose that the copyright for this site is owned by me as it stands right now. Personally I encourage people to put their work using a Creative Commons license. I will put a notice about the license on the site after a discussion with moderators.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

SladeWilson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (starting over), Esperanto (beginner - abandoned) Biblical Greek (beginner - on hold or abandoned)

Postby SladeWilson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Pretty sure I have the copyright to my own posts on either site and can freely repost them elsewhere. How everyone's posts are arranged and displayed could very well belong to whoever owns the site, but they do not have the copyright to the content therein.
1 x
COURSE LOAD
New French with Ease - Assimil: 0 / 113
I previously completed 30 from 113 of Assimi's New French with Ease lessons.
I will start the lessons over since I abandoned them long ago.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:16 pm

SladeWilson wrote:Pretty sure I have the copyright to my own posts on either site and can freely repost them elsewhere. How everyone's posts are arranged and displayed could very well belong to whoever owns the site, but they do not have the copyright to the content therein.

Yes, you always own the copyright of the content you create. Here is the basis of what happens when you post to a forum at least under UK Copyright law, and the site owner in this case me is in the UK.

My understanding is this.
On the one hand:
Copyright is the automatic right of the creator from the point that the first 'recorded' the work in a tangible manner. In this case, from the point you type it in on the keyboard. So this would mean that as the 'creator' of the post, you are the copyright owner.

However....

In posting on the forum, you will have accepted the terms that this type of publication implies. In posting you are accepting that your content will be published by the site owner, and also that the site owner has the right to edit or delete your post as he sees fit.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 pm

rdearman wrote:Personally I encourage people to put their work using a Creative Commons license. I will put a notice about the license on the site after a discussion with moderators.

As changing licences several times is a bit tricky: can we have an open discussion about this somewhere before you decide? I mean which specific licence should be considered. You propose a specific licence/wording and people would have the option to word their concerns before it is made official. A too permissive licence can lead to unforeseen problems for example. The ultimate decision would of course be yours as your are the site owner ;)
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:41 pm

daegga wrote:
rdearman wrote:Personally I encourage people to put their work using a Creative Commons license. I will put a notice about the license on the site after a discussion with moderators.

As changing licences several times is a bit tricky: can we have an open discussion about this somewhere before you decide? I mean which specific licence should be considered. You propose a specific licence/wording and people would have the option to word their concerns before it is made official. A too permissive licence can lead to unforeseen problems for example. The ultimate decision would of course be yours as your are the site owner ;)

I have suggested to the moderators that we adopt an "attribute & share, no commercial use" style, but I need to look through them myself. There are many different types.

Yes, please feel free to make suggestions. After all it is your copyright. But what I don't want is to have exclusive publication rights granted, which is basically what you have given at the old site, and by default here, and is causing so much head scratching. Because it means that we'd all have the same problem if I got hit by a bus and someone else needed to reestablish the site.

I'm a big advocate of open source and share-alike licenses. I would suggest this one for the site, since it would allow someone to rebuild the site somewhere else as long as they give appropriate attribution.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

SladeWilson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (starting over), Esperanto (beginner - abandoned) Biblical Greek (beginner - on hold or abandoned)

Postby SladeWilson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:50 pm

rdearman wrote:
SladeWilson wrote:Pretty sure I have the copyright to my own posts on either site and can freely repost them elsewhere. How everyone's posts are arranged and displayed could very well belong to whoever owns the site, but they do not have the copyright to the content therein.

Yes, you always own the copyright of the content you create. Here is the basis of what happens when you post to a forum at least under UK Copyright law, and the site owner in this case me is in the UK.

My understanding is this.
On the one hand:
Copyright is the automatic right of the creator from the point that the first 'recorded' the work in a tangible manner. In this case, from the point you type it in on the keyboard. So this would mean that as the 'creator' of the post, you are the copyright owner.

However....

In posting on the forum, you will have accepted the terms that this type of publication implies. In posting you are accepting that your content will be published by the site owner, and also that the site owner has the right to edit or delete your post as he sees fit.

Yes, that is how I understand it. The license to publish is granted, but it is in this particular context. If you were to publish my content in a mailing list outside of this site or something without consent that technically might not be OK. Honestly, I like the idea you suggested about using Creative Commons. I think I might CC0 all my content here.
0 x
COURSE LOAD
New French with Ease - Assimil: 0 / 113
I previously completed 30 from 113 of Assimi's New French with Ease lessons.
I will start the lessons over since I abandoned them long ago.

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”