I won't be going back to HTLAL

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: I won't be going back to HTLAL

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:31 am

Oh! Someone remembers me! Yes, I dropped out for a while, then I took up studying again, but I didn't want to jinx it by starting a log too soon, so I've just been lurking. Anyway, I will start a log again soon, but I still have to sit down and write it, and I figured there's no need to rush with everything up in the air. It's great that this forum is becoming more active again. I know it's not the "real" HTLAL, but I think of them as the same forum and I hope they will merge somehow and the old gang won't be split up.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:11 am

Duh, I'm sure everyone remembers you!!! I'll be happy to read your posts, no matter where we end up :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:18 am

basica wrote:Is there some sort of inside knowledge here as to why "Penny Lewis" is considered an insult, or could have been considered one? I'm just a bit confused is all. (I ask only because I would have automatically assumed it was a spelling error as the only thing that penny means to me is "1 cent")

I didn't even associate it with the word penny, tbh. Maybe that's because P isn't anywhere near B on the QWERTY keyboard, and in general it appears to be a common way to distort names deliberately while keeping them recognizable? For example the Portuguese team Sporting can be referred to as Zborting or Zbortem (pronounced more similarly than it seems in writing).
I don't doubt that in this case it was a simple mistake.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 am

Serpent wrote: For example the Portuguese team Sporting can be referred to as Zborting or Zbortem (pronounced more similarly than it seems in writing).

Actually, it can't. It's meant as an insult, usually by Benfica fans.

Since Benfica is usually perceived as a more "popular" (read: lower-class) team, it's a way to get back at their rivals.

It's sports rivalry, not proper pronunciation.
0 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:07 am

I definitely meant that it's derogatory, just like "Penny Lewis" might sound for the same reason.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:22 am

Serpent wrote:I definitely meant that it's derogatory, just like "Penny Lewis" might sound for the same reason.

Oh, ok. Sorry.
1 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:22 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
basica wrote:Is there some sort of inside knowledge here as to why "Penny Lewis" is considered an insult, or could have been considered one? I'm just a bit confused is all. (I ask only because I would have automatically assumed it was a spelling error as the only thing that penny means to me is "1 cent")

Because he monetizes his polyglottery and promises what may seem to be unrealistic possibilities; he pushes that one can be fluent in 3 months. And some people have a poor opinion of this and it, along with his brash personality, has led to friction in the past. I'm just explaining, personally I don't have an opinion on him as I just 'walk around' methods that I deem to over-promise; I've never looked at his site or method closely.

Sliding off-topic again: I LOVE Benny Lewis. I was first in line to get his new book and bought his "How to Seriously Learn German" or whatever it was called.

Wonderful ideas. Did I actually do them? Of course not--they were hard. :) But the ideas were good and I pick and choose which ones I want to incorporate--and they make a difference, but I know I'm not putting the time in to reach fluency. Even the people over in his forum are under no illusions that anything other than the same hard work everyone else does will get you to fluency.

Back to topic, I was happy to see a few new posts today over on the old site. I guess we'll just continue to limp along.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm

CarlyD wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

Because he monetizes his polyglottery and promises what may seem to be unrealistic possibilities; he pushes that one can be fluent in 3 months. And some people have a poor opinion of this and it, along with his brash personality, has led to friction in the past. I'm just explaining, personally I don't have an opinion on him as I just 'walk around' methods that I deem to over-promise; I've never looked at his site or method closely.

Sliding off-topic again: I LOVE Benny Lewis. I was first in line to get his new book and bought his "How to Seriously Learn German" or whatever it was called.

Wonderful ideas. Did I actually do them? Of course not--they were hard. :) But the ideas were good and I pick and choose which ones I want to incorporate--and they make a difference, but I know I'm not putting the time in to reach fluency. Even the people over in his forum are under no illusions that anything other than the same hard work everyone else does will get you to fluency.

Back to topic, I was happy to see a few new posts today over on the old site. I guess we'll just continue to limp along.

Well, I think that is part of the strength of the community - people reach out, try things, have different opinion, provide respectful input. Honestly, like I said, I had/have not real opinion on him - but the post in this thread made me go over and look at his website. Oh, hey, he writes about German ... and I looked at what he suggested and now my Mac is auf Deutsch!. That was good advice.

I'll go look at his book, thanks for mentioning it.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:44 am

I like Benny.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:46 am

Since the thread HTLAL might be gone is locked. I guess I'll post this here:

To the moderators: It's been a little over two weeks now since HTLAL went down with the domain name expiry. Is there any update on contacting FX you can share with us? If you could give us an update, even if it's- "nothing new to report", that would be nice. Also, are there any new thoughts on how long to give this (contacting FX)? I realize that FX, some of our moderators (I miss Iversen!) and longtime senior members are on holiday. Do we wait until September? What's up? What are your thoughts after two weeks?
3 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”