I won't be going back to HTLAL

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: I won't be going back to HTLAL

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:38 am

Takra jenai wrote:Why not visit both boards?
I regulary visit twenty-five sites every day.

Why should it matter whether the old admin replies? Let him be happy. Nagging him is not a good idea.

For me - I'll visit the old board, but I won't be posting content or answering questions there much.

Why? Because I feel that there is an exchange of values that goes on a forum - someone provides the venue and with that the responsibility to assure good function and reasonable exchange and hopefully some continuity. The users provide content and community - both which I see as having value. Now, when a site is a paying site for basic function I have a much higher expectation for that place - I expect that the owner will assure something beyond minimum function. I feel very strongly that this has not been done, and not done for years. It negatively impacts the content and community. So yeah, it matters that the admin won't reply and won't update the site function (a paying forum without image hosting or video inserts today and that limits search for new users? Where I have to use an external search service to even see MY OWN posts?! Forget it, not interested. Good bye.)

The complete and utter disdain of FX for the current community is evident. He created something, it was a commercial enterprise that worked great. It doesn't now.

"Bye, Felicia!"

(slang usage - http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bye-felicia)
Last edited by zenmonkey on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:43 am

aabram wrote:That's why I have uneasy feeling about this picture -- it could be mistaken for your identity while it definitely is not.
Just my opinion though.

You mean you aren't a magical cube cat? :shock:

"Takra Jenai" has been clear from several posts that she isn't the avatar she uses. There is no intent to deceit. While it might lead to a little confusion, the world and language learning is full of vague meaning and uncertain contextual references. Never take a forum identity for absolute face value.

Edit to add: see her signature.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Takra jenai

Postby Takra jenai » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:49 am

aabram wrote: Usually people to have something as their avatar which falls broadly into on of three categories:

1. pic of themselves
2. pic of some character they feel close to or just like for their appearances (Joker, Conan the Barbarian, Edmund Hillary, a Disney princess etc)
3. something else, including animals, objects or whatever
----
Just my opinion though.

You've got a point.
Malala is a well known personality.
And the links in my signiture lead to her sites.
Anyway, I'm not Malala Yousafzai.

Edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtROMdwltJE
HE NAMED ME MALALA: Official HD Trailer
Take a first look at HE NAMED ME MALALA, a documentary about Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai's life, story and personal journey as an education activist.

The first documentary about Malala - it's 2009. She was eleven then.
Class Dismissed: Malala’s Story
http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/asia ... story.html
1 x

basica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Serbian (A2ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?&t=7335

Postby basica » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:44 am

zenmonkey wrote:
aabram wrote:That's why I have uneasy feeling about this picture -- it could be mistaken for your identity while it definitely is not.
Just my opinion though.

You mean you aren't a magical cube cat? :shock:

Next thing you know we'll find out that's not iguanamon in his profile pic :shock:
8 x
Glossika Fluency 1: 16 / 104

Learning or already speak Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian? Join us here! :)

Polyclod
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish, French, German (Intermediate)
Learning: Russian
Hit List: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1181

Postby Polyclod » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:22 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Takra jenai wrote:Why not visit both boards?
I regulary visit twenty-five sites every day.

Why should it matter whether the old admin replies? Let him be happy. Nagging him is not a good idea.

For me - I'll visit the old board, but I won't be posting content or answering questions there much.

Why? Because I feel that there is an exchange of values that goes on a forum - someone provides the venue and with that the responsibility to assure good function and reasonable exchange and hopefully some continuity. The users provide content and community - both which I see as having value. Now, when a site is a paying site for basic function I have a much higher expectation for that place - I expect that the owner will assure something beyond minimum function. I feel very strongly that this has not been done, and not done for years. It negatively impacts the content and community. So yeah, it matters that the admin won't reply and won't update the site function (a paying forum without image hosting or video inserts today and that limits search for new users? Where I have to use an external search service to even see MY OWN posts?! Forget it, not interested. Good bye.)

The complete and utter disdain of FX for the current community is evident. He created something, it was a commercial enterprise that worked great. It doesn't now.

"Bye, Felicia!"

(slang usage - http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bye-felicia)
n

Well said, and I agree, I don't understand this reverence for someone who has no respect for his "own" forum. I won't say anymore, except that based on past observation I doubt this "deadline" will mean anything. More excuses will be made, etc. But I hope I'm wrong.
4 x
Bücher:

Star Trek The Next Generation Tod im Winter: 82 / 348

Русский

Assimil Russian: 30 / 100

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:40 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Where I have to use an external search service to even see MY OWN posts?!

The search function is a problem. Several times I'd go looking for something I'd posted in the past, only to have to resort to Google search. I don't think it serves any purpose restricting searches to a specific number of viewable posts. PhpBB, in fact, has a better way of dealing with guest searches - by restricting the number of searches within a certain timeframe. That way, guests still get full use of the site, but are still encouraged to join if they plan on doing a lot of searches.

R.
==
2 x

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Postby Hrhenry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Takra jenai wrote:I'm Takra jenai. It's Pashto. It means 'Shining Young Lady'. It's an homage to Malala Yousafzai. I've fallen in love with this young warrior.

Edit
See the avatar. It's her.

Playing devil's advocate here, but that in itself could be considered political propaganda. Combined with your signature, it could seem that you have a focused agenda that's not relevant to language learning.

That said, I admire the girl.

R.
==
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Hrhenry wrote:
Takra jenai wrote:I'm Takra jenai. It's Pashto. It means 'Shining Young Lady'. It's an homage to Malala Yousafzai. I've fallen in love with this young warrior.

Edit
See the avatar. It's her.

Playing devil's advocate here, but that in itself could be considered political propaganda. Combined with your signature, it could seem that you have a focused agenda that's not relevant to language learning.

That said, I admire the girl.

R.
==

I agree and disagree though I wouldn't call it "political propaganda". I don't really have anything against someone using Malala as their avatar (though I find it a tad creepy - but that's just me and has nothing to do with politics) and she is in a different political tier as someone like Angela Merkel and again, a different tier than someone like the late Nelson Mandela. A more analogous figure would be Kate Bornstein.

I also, though, would really hate it if this site went down the "the personal is political" road in terms of things that were off limits. For example, it would be a shame if someone talking about something involving LGBTQ stuff as it relates to them was banned from saying such based on some sort of (supposed) inherent political aspect of they were talking about.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt

Postby Hrhenry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:01 pm

aokoye wrote:I also, though, would really hate it if this site went down the "the personal is political" road in terms of things that were off limits. For example, it would be a shame if someone talking about something involving LGBTQ stuff as it relates to them was banned from saying such based on some sort of (supposed) inherent political aspect of they were talking about.

That's why I prefaced it with "Playing devil's advocate". I totally get that kind of admiration for a person or for a specific cause. Takra jenai hasn't injected any such talk, other than an explanation for the user name, but I can see how it could be construed as such.

R.
==
1 x

Takra jenai

Postby Takra jenai » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:11 pm

"Playing devil's advocate" could be considered religious propagana, as it can imply a belief in some supernatural beings.
2 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”