User registration issue with HTLAL

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Re: User registration issue with HTLAL

Postby pir » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:43 am

Hi folks!

Wow, I am excited! I've lurked in the old place on and off for several years, and tried to sign up four times. The first time I got an SQL error. Then twice everything seemed to go alright, but I never got a confirmation (I always check my spam folder), and when I tried to log on, it didn't know me. After that I thought that maybe something about my application didn't please the admin, and I gave up. Since a couple of years had passed, I thought I'd give it another try today -- and I got an SQL error again. Fortunately I found out about this place, and the signup couldn't have been easier.

So while I am sorry y'all are having to go through this rigamarole with the old forum and the incommunicado owner, and I hope things work themselves out instead of ending with a whimper, I, for one, am really happy that I can now be a part of this place. Thank you so much for setting it up!
4 x

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks for letting us know! We have mentioned the problems with registration in our most recent letter to the administrator of HTLAL. I don't know if that situation will improve, but welcome here and all the best with your language studies! :)
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:50 am

The problems with registration have existed for a while. I had a friend who tried to sign up a couple of years ago. It took him several attempts. Fortunately, I was a member of the forum and was able to ask a moderator to look into it. The moderator approved his account, but he still couldn't get into the forum. So he had to sign up again. I think it took four sign-ups and two moderators before he finally managed to get a working account.
0 x

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:01 pm

I remember that I had a hard time registering too, back in 2008. I think it took three days to figure out what was wrong, although I don't recall specifics now. I do remember being really frustrated. And the I got PM spam and a little bit of a rude reply. My first impression was not very good, but I stayed around (obviously!). It sounds like the problem has become worse since then.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”