Highly experimental: SoundCloud & feedback on recordings

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Highly experimental: SoundCloud & feedback on recordings

Postby emk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm

First, a bit of background. Idahosa Ness is a musician and polyglot, and he's really intensely into getting pronunciation right from the very beginning. He has a very unusual online course, which involves singing along with short stretches of music very precisely. His courses come with detailed pronunciation instructions. But the fun part is that he uses SoundCloud so that his students can record themselves singing, and he provides phoneme-by-phoneme correction. I like his stuff because it's very demanding (in a good way), and because it's a very original approach.

Here's the landing page for his French course. The advertising copy is pretty obnoxious, but I remember the course as being solid. Full disclosure: I bought this course as a beta tester at half price, and I think he implemented one of two of my suggestions.

Anyway, a number of years ago, Idahosa wrote a post about using SoundCloud to provide detailed feedback on pronunciation.

Here's what his feedback looked like when I tried it about 3 years ago.

Directly under the music, you can see a number of tiny icons. Hover over those to view Idahosa's comments, and my own self-corrections. Or you can click through to SoundCloud to see this with a bigger interface.

I did finally stop rolling my Rs!

Anyway, I inserted this using an even-more-highly-experimental-than-normal feature:

Code: Select all

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/emk_langs/je-roule-mes-rs[/soundcloud]

You just take the URL of the SoundCloud clip and wrap it in a tag. To make a clip, or to add comments, you need to go over to the SoundCloud site and make an account.

Anyway, I think if you put too many of these on a page, it will probably slow the site down even worse than YouTube videos. So we might need to have some kind of global preference allow people to hide these.

Usual disclaimers apply, but more so: This is insanely experimental, and it may go away. Your feedback is definitely appreciated.
2 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”