Suggestions for additions

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Suggestions for additions

Postby tastyonions » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks for pointing out that icon, rdearman. Could prove useful.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:53 pm

daegga wrote:
rdearman wrote:This is already build into this software. At the bottom (and top) of the thread should be a little "tool / wrench / spanner" icon which has an option for "Printer view" which puts everything on to one page. Not pretty looking, but does show the entire thread on one page.

No it doesn't, it shows only the current page (10 posts from the &start=) number.

I stand corrected. hummm... this feature is here somewhere, I'm sure I've seen it. I will keep digging.

EDIT: OK, This requires a mod which I have managed to find. I'll try to get it implemented shortly. But you use it the same way, you use the print view. I'll let you know when it is installed.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:03 pm

rdearman wrote:This is already build into this software. At the bottom (and top) of the thread should be a little "tool / wrench / spanner" icon which has an option for "Printer view" which puts everything on to one page. Not pretty looking, but does show the entire thread on one page.

Ah, thanks! Wouldn't have thought to look there.

R.
==
0 x

robarb
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (~N), French, Spanish, Swedish, Esperanto, Italian, German, Dutch, Mandarin, Danish, Norwegian, Latin (b), Greek (b), Nepali (b), Polish (b), Japanese (b), Cantonese (b), Hebrew (b), Korean (b)

Postby robarb » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Could we have the profile link to one's website more visible, so you don't have to click on "Contact" to see whether the person has a website or not?
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Could we have a way to write special characters without having to switch keyboard or use typeit.org or similar external services? I would love that, especially when I happen to write bits of several languages in one post. I know my idea might be naive, but there is a lot of free space on the left and right side of the screen (not sure about smaller screens) and I would like a bar with chosen symbols I don't have on my keyboard. That would be absolutely awesome.

Another thing: could we have a simple way to post bits of audio? I recorded myself once or twice years ago and needed to use an external storage and just post a link. I don't know how feasible that would be, perhaps there would need to be a size limit for the files.

A really wild idea: A very visible way to tag logs? Such as colourful tags "TAC participant" "Super Challenge" and so on? That was something I missed on the old forums, it was hard to keep track of the active challenge logs.

Thanks a lot to everyone making this new forum happen. I know not all the ideas may get implemented (some may not be as good as I find them) but you are awesome nonetheless!
0 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Cavesa wrote:Could we have a way to write special characters without having to switch keyboard or use typeit.org or similar external services? I would love that, especially when I happen to write bits of several languages in one post. I know my idea might be naive, but there is a lot of free space on the left and right side of the screen (not sure about smaller screens) and I would like a bar with chosen symbols I don't have on my keyboard. That would be absolutely awesome.

When you write a post, click on "virtual keyboard" below the text field.
1 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:43 pm

wow, thanks!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Cavesa wrote:A really wild idea: A very visible way to tag logs? Such as colourful tags "TAC participant" "Super Challenge" and so on? That was something I missed on the old forums, it was hard to keep track of the active challenge logs.

Have a look at the Language Logs area. I've made the Super Challenge and Output Challenge "sticky" and they have a different icon associated with them. Is this enough of a flag? I could set the other challenges sticky.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks, it looks good but it is not exactly what I mean. (But we could do with a stickied and updated adressbook for all the TAC participants when things settle down a bit during the summer, that will be achallenge by itself to put that together or at least get oriented again). What I'm thinking of is a simple way to look at the list of the logs and immediately see which ones belong to TAC participants, which ones to SC participants, etc. Something like the old forum tags listing the languages and topics but preferably more visible. Does it sound like a useless nonsense? It may be so, I know.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Cavesa wrote:wow, thanks!

The virtual keyboard is an extension written by the Unilang forum, who kindly make all their extensions and customizations public. We added it earlier this week because it was too good to pass up. They have some other extensions, too, including some kind of language database that I don't understand yet.

Cavesa wrote:What I'm thinking of is a simple way to look at the list of the logs and immediately see which ones belong to TAC participants, which ones to SC participants, etc. Something like the old forum tags listing the languages and topics but preferably more visible. Does it sound like a useless nonsense? It may be so, I know.

Oh, wow, we've totally forgotten about tags!

OK, for something like this, what we need is for somebody to search through the phpBB 3.1 extensions database and tell us if there's a topic tagging extension. Be careful, though! We need phpBB 3.1 extensions and not phpBB 3.0 modules, which are totally different.

I found this extension by Googling, and it might do what we need. But there might be a better one.

The best thing about phpBB 3.1 is that is has a pretty powerful extension system, and that we're not the only language forum using it.
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”