Languages are now in the sidebar

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Languages are now in the sidebar

Postby emk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Looking at it right now. I think it may not work until you post at least 3 messages (it seems to be restricted to discourage spambots). Tell me if that helps, and I'll take it from there.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 pm

For me it's displayed on the profile page below things like birthday, twitter, skype etc
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm post this in part so I can reach the 3 message threshold, but is there a way to not have a threshold in terms of being able to edit one's profile? I haven't played an admin role in a phpBB forum and I haven't read the documentation so I'm not sure that that's possible. If the threshold for editing was something that was enabled I have to wonder what the reasoning was. Note that I think the, "three posts before you can PM someone", makes total sense, just not the inability to edit your profile.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 pm

It is actually three posts to move from newly registered to standard user.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:28 pm

As I understand it, the problem is that spam bots will sign up, immediately fill in their profile fields with handbag ads (HTHAL got a lot of handbag spam, for some reason), and then post to the forum. Apparently, putting URLs in profile fields allows spambots to bypass the restrictions which prevent new users from posting links. But if you require people to post a few times before enabling all the board features, it helps discourage the spambots. Or so the PHPbb documentation seems to suggest.

HTLAL had something like hundreds of new spam accounts per day, and moderators needed to approve each account by hand. And the spammers still slipped through sometimes.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:35 pm

emk wrote:As I understand it, the problem is that spam bots will sign up, immediately fill in their profile fields with handbag ads (HTHAL got a lot of handbag spam, for some reason), and then post to the forum. Apparently, putting URLs in profile fields allows spambots to bypass the restrictions which prevent new users from posting links. But if you require people to post a few times before enabling all the board features, it helps discourage the spambots. Or so the PHPbb documentation seems to suggest.

HTLAL had something like hundreds of new spam accounts per day, and moderators needed to approve each account by hand. And the spammers still slipped through sometimes.

Wow! I had no idea. Been very lucky with phpBB then. And I was annoyed that some of them got through the recaptha. :shock:
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:43 pm

I don't like making new threads unless completely necessary.

Given the subject of this one, I thought I might add my question here.

Which is: what about flags?

Some other fora use them, and not only language-related ones. Usually people love having the flag of their own country in their profile. Not mandatory, of course.

Instead of having the name of the language, we could have a flag. The level of recognition is very high and, in the remaining cases, it usually suffices to hover over (!) the flag to have the name of the country or of the language (I remember seeing that somewhere). It can even be pedagogic.

Another plus would be having a bit of "fine tuning": Union Jack versus Stars and Stripes, Portuguese versus Brazilian, Arab League (for MSA) versus Egyptian, and so on.

I'd just like to add that I used this visual aid twice in HTLAL (as TAC Rare Team leader) and it seems to have worked very well. Of course, it also meant many hours searching for a flag to represent Hawaiian or Karelian (maybe we don't need that kind of detail here, anyway). "Fun with flags", if you wish. ;)

I know it could mean a bit of work (I speak from experience), but I can't really assess its technical feasibility.

What do you think?
3 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:20 pm

You can use bb-code in your signature to include an image (it would need to be activated).
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:25 pm

1e4e6 wrote:It sounds interesting, but what to do about countries that are officially bilingual, trilingual, etc.?

I would be practical:

The nation flags are what they are: if you are from a given country and think your province, village, or street should be independent, it's too bad. As we usually say in Portuguese, "temos pena".

As for languages, I don't pretend to have 7 000 flags, or whatever the number is. If you look at the Team Rare threads, you'll see that I used the Indian flag for a few languages. No one ever complained.

If you still are not satisfied, visit Interpals (a penpal site I'm a member of) or Unilang (a language learning site I'm not a member of) and check.

I don't mind having my idea rejected (I only had it a few hours ago anyway), but I'd rather not see it happen on the grounds of a few exceptions. Let's look at the big picture.

N.B.: Underlying my idea is the use of a) one country flag, and b) any number of language flags. Sorry if that was not clear.
1 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”