Languages are now in the sidebar

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Languages are now in the sidebar

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

To quote Prof. Argüelles:

If you could only speak/write/understand one, which would it be?
Oh my God, what a terrible thought! This is like a torturer asking me which of my limbs I would like to retain when the others are surgically severed! I cannot give a non-hysterical answer to this. It's like something out of Sophie's Choice -- what am I to say, "No! No! No! AAAAAhhh, all right, take the others, leave me Persian..."???

Language learning is my life. I'm as passionate about Finnish/German/Portuguese/Italian/Croatian as many are about just one language, and my interest in those "12 more languages" can be comparable to many people's interest in their 3rd or 4th second language (and many others are less serious than me about it). As of now my list here is more compact than on the old HTLAL so I don't understand what the fuss is. And I still don't have enough space for Karelian, and won't have the space for Yiddish or Czech when (not if!) I prioritize them higher again.

edit: okay, came up with a different system. Pretty much removed most level references because it's all so fuzzy and complicated anyway
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Serpent wrote:edit: okay, came up with a different system. Pretty much removed most level references because it's all so fuzzy and complicated anyway

I finally got around to listing my languages. I only put CEFR levels for languages that I've actually sat and passed the exam, but broke everything out to either "Speaks" or "Studies".

While the old site wouldn't let me even assign a B2 for Turkish, the only way I could indicate that I was at intermediate was to stick it under " Speaks", even though I'm still actively studying it. At least here I can indicate B2 and still show it as "Studies".

I don't know if that's acceptable or not, but it seems clearest to me.

R.
==
2 x

jacob_kap
White Belt
Languages: Hebrew (N), Russian (N), English (C1), Arabic (C1), German (B2), Japanese (B1)
Interested in: Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Vietnamese, Persian and Turkish.

Postby jacob_kap » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Finally I understood how to add the languages to the sidebar! I have to get 3 messages, so this is my second one... don't bother.
0 x
: 43 / 76 غسان كنفاني - عائد الى حيفا

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”