Discussion area

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Meramarina
Orange Belt

Discussion area

Postby Meramarina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:15 pm

What discussion areas should we set up to use while we work on a long-terms solution to our forum problems? I just made a general area and a log area.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Discussion area

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Maybe just the most popular ones: Logs, Advice, General Discussion were the three which I used most.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Yeah, better to keep it simple and add more as needed, especially since this is the emergency backup forum for now. :-)
0 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 pm

If you decide to set up the Collaborative Profiles sub-forum, I'll gladly add the profiles that I made (with some modifications if necessary to deal with potential claims of copyright infringement because of the old forum's policy on ownership of posts).
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 am

Any guidelines for what's supposed to be HLAL discussion vs Technical support? Everything but "HTLAL might be gone" and the thank you thread is really more suitable there...
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:13 am

I was thinking that we could use it for questions and discussions about technical matters at this forum specifically here, while the technical troubles of HTLAL can be included in the HTLAL discussion thread.

It doesn't have to be organized this way; I just was trying to create the spaces we need. Nothing's final and I'm sure we'll do more reorganization as we need it.
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:45 pm

What about a Multilingual room? I liked all the multilingual games people played.
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:28 pm

I really liked the Resources section that had Marketplace, Bookstores and Internet Resources. I know it didn't get used as much as the other areas, but I always looked there first for new posts.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 am

In the old forum there were areas for books and bookstores and courseware, but not an area reserved for internet resources. That would be nice to have. Besides experience has shown that it will be necessary to have an area for topics referring to one specific language. In the old forum there were two, one for 'general' specific topics and one reserved for advice. But the first one was the one that took all the traffic.

As for the multilingual area we had in the old forum I'm somewhat hesitant. I was there when it was established and had high hopes for it, but most threads dried up fairly quickly after a couple of messages of the type "Anybody theeere??". It turned out that the urge to write in your target language was better satisfied by the individual logs, where you didn't have to wait for others to write something.

Quite generally I think that it is a good idea to start out with just a few sections. If it then turns out that some rooms get exceedingly popular then it is always possible to split it up later. As an example take the multilingual room - if all messages in thisroom are clearly marked with language in the title then there isn't any reason to make separate French, German, Russian etc. rooms from the beginning.

As for the voting system.. well, I have got my share of votes on the old forum, but I wouldn't see it as a priority. However it has not escaped me that the possibility to put thumbs up or down has become ubiquitous one the internet, and you probably can't avoid having something like that.

Btw Thank you to those who have put up this forum and to rdearman in particular.
0 x

lone wolf
White Belt
Languages: Native: German
Fluent: English, French
Studied: Swedish, Russian
Learning: Hungarian, Latin

Postby lone wolf » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:52 am

Iversen wrote:As for the voting system.. well, I have got my share of votes on the old forum, but I wouldn't see it as a priority. However it has not escaped me that the possibility to put thumbs up or down has become ubiquitous one the internet, and you probably can't avoid having something like that.

PhpBB doesn't have a built-in voting system. There are extensions available that add this functionality, but I haven't seen any that I really liked. Last time I looked was one year ago, so maybe something has changed since then. What I've seen is that these voting systems most of the time are implemented in JavaScript, which unfortunately is the default these days for everyone who hasn't got a clue what he is doing, i.e. 95% of "web developers".

The voting system on the old forum was quite unique and the best feature of the package, because it displayed the link for casting a vote and the response message in an iframe. I've never seen anything like this in any other forum software. Technically this is the best solution, because it even works when everything is locked down in the browser for safety and speed reasons.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”