LLorg East Coast ~2019~

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Jojo
White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:03 pm
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)
x 15

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Jojo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 am

I live in NYC so obviously that would be the most convenient for me. I could also attend if it's held in north Jersey. Anywhere else won't work as I don't drive.
1 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

User avatar
Xenops
Brown Belt
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Nansha (constructing).
x 1936
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Xenops » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

It sounds like we have the most votes for NYC; any objections or further suggestions?

Jojo wrote:I live in NYC so obviously that would be the most convenient for me. I could also attend if it's held in north Jersey. Anywhere else won't work as I don't drive.


Very nice! :) Could I ask you what places you suggest we visit that are language related? I know NYC abounds in things to see, and I have no idea how to choose. :lol:
0 x

User avatar
emk
Brown Belt
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723
x 4815
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby emk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Xenops wrote:It sounds like we have the most votes for NYC; any objections or further suggestions?

I've confirmed that I'm available Monday, or I can do Tuesday until early afternoon, in NYC or someplace around it. It's a 5 hour trip for me, and I usually arrive in Grand Central by train.

I'd like to avoid paying for NYC hotels; they're two or three times more expensive than any normal US city.
1 x

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3712
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Ani » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm

For a potential meeting place, perhaps Strand? Il y en a pour tous les goûts..
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

User avatar
Xenops
Brown Belt
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Nansha (constructing).
x 1936
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Xenops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 am

emk wrote: I've confirmed that I'm available Monday, or I can do Tuesday until early afternoon, in NYC or someplace around it. It's a 5 hour trip for me, and I usually arrive in Grand Central by train.

I'd like to avoid paying for NYC hotels; they're two or three times more expensive than any normal US city.


Sounds reasonable. :) Now, what do we want to do at this gathering? Do we want to make it a two-day deal, a one-day deal...?

Ani wrote:For a potential meeting place, perhaps Strand? Il y en a pour tous les goûts..


I tried Googling this--is it a NY town or city?
0 x

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3712
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Ani » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Xenops wrote:
Ani wrote:For a potential meeting place, perhaps Strand? Il y en a pour tous les goûts..


I tried Googling this--is it a NY town or city?


No sorry, it's a book store! Lol. A really really big used book store with 18 miles of books. I haven't been there since I moved and I miss it. It's downtown but not terribly far from EMK's entrance at Grand Central (I'll probably come in that way too although I haven't decided yet. I might also drive to Jersey City/Hoboken and take the PATH)

We could potentially also meet at a library, museum, cafe?
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

User avatar
Xenops
Brown Belt
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Nansha (constructing).
x 1936
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Xenops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Ani wrote:
Xenops wrote:
Ani wrote:For a potential meeting place, perhaps Strand? Il y en a pour tous les goûts..


I tried Googling this--is it a NY town or city?


No sorry, it's a book store! Lol. A really really big used book store with 18 miles of books. I haven't been there since I moved and I miss it. It's downtown but not terribly far from EMK's entrance at Grand Central (I'll probably come in that way too although I haven't decided yet. I might also drive to Jersey City/Hoboken and take the PATH)

We could potentially also meet at a library, museum, cafe?


Sweet! That sounds good to me, anyone else? :D
0 x

User avatar
Xenops
Brown Belt
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Nansha (constructing).
x 1936
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Xenops » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 am

Since I haven't been to such a gathering before, I have no idea how to plan one. ;) If you guys can give me ideas, I welcome them; if you want to take over the planning, I welcome that, too. Mainly I started this thread as a catalyst to the goal of meeting people.
0 x

lichtrausch
Orange Belt
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm
Languages: English, Japanese, German
Learning: Mandarin, Korean, French
x 338

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby lichtrausch » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:34 am

Ani wrote:
Xenops wrote:
Ani wrote:For a potential meeting place, perhaps Strand? Il y en a pour tous les goûts..


I tried Googling this--is it a NY town or city?


No sorry, it's a book store! Lol. A really really big used book store with 18 miles of books. I haven't been there since I moved and I miss it. It's downtown but not terribly far from EMK's entrance at Grand Central (I'll probably come in that way too although I haven't decided yet. I might also drive to Jersey City/Hoboken and take the PATH)

We could potentially also meet at a library, museum, cafe?

I've never been to Strand, so it would be nice to check it out. :)
1 x

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3712
Contact:

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Ani » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:38 am

The only thing I am wondering is if there is enough hanging out space? Idk.. I don't know what we are going to do (does anyone? Lol). It's not a bad part of town as far as options go though.
So far I am seeing the day go like...
Meet and greet
Ignore each other while we drool over all the books
Pressure/enable/tempt each other into buying all.the.books
Eat a meal somewhere?

Who's got better ideas?? There must be someone out there who knows how to plan these things :-p
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.


Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests