LLorg East Coast ~2023~

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

LLorg East Coast ~2023~

Postby Xenops » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Ani wrote:
Systematiker wrote:
Xenops wrote:
Ani wrote:I'd love to meet you guys. I don't see myself getting to Portland this year but I will be leaving my wintery ice palace mid-October for FL, and then driving up the east coast to NY/NJ/PA for Thanksgiving. If that puts me in range to grab a cup of coffee with anyone, I am interested.

I have good news and bad news: the good news is I found a job in Boston, and I'm moving over there. :D The bad news is...Well, probably won't make it to the Portland gathering. Maybe there can be an East Coast and a West Coast gathering?

This, along with a change of date (pre-Thanksgiving November? PA?) would make it once again possible that I'll be involved

Well this is interesting! Pre-Thanksgiving in PA sounds very possible for me. It is hard to commit at this exact time -- I had no idea I'd be in Oregon this year but there I was last week. I'm still pretty certain I'll be having Thanksgiving in NJ, but there is a chance I'll be temporarily moving to FL for the last few months of the year, or a more remote part of Alaska. Lets keep this idea floating around!

So are we still thinking of PA? :D Where at? When? I have a little distance to go, but not much.
Last edited by Xenops on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: LLorg Pennsylvania 2017

Postby Ani » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't have my dates spelled out, but almost certainly I'd be available the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday before thanksgiving. There might be other days too but I don't know yet for sure. I'll be staying in NE NJ so anywhere I can drive to in a day works (and I'm pretty liberal with what a day trip looks like!)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: LLorg Pennsylvania 2017

Postby Xenops » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Ani wrote:I don't have my dates spelled out, but almost certainly I'd be available the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday before thanksgiving. There might be other days too but I don't know yet for sure. I'll be staying in NE NJ so anywhere I can drive to in a day works (and I'm pretty liberal with what a day trip looks like!)

If we're not set on Pennsylvania, how does NYC sound? that would only be a four-hour drive for me, and it would give me an excuse to see the Kinokuniya store. ;)
2 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby emk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:45 pm

I might be able to swing the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving if it's in New York (or further north). But I'd need to talk to my wife to confirm scheduling.

PA is definitely too far from me.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 am

NYC is good for me, or upstate NY, in the way we use it in NJ to mean anything not directly in NYC lol. I don't know how far west Systematiker is, but another option for me could be Hartford CT or there around? Getting into NYC takes a fare amount of time on its own so equally I could be further north in the same time frame.
systematiker wrote:

Quoting you in case you aren't subscribed to this thread!
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks for quoting me, I had meant to subscribe to updates and didn't.

I'm in the Altoona area, so NY/NJ/CT begins putting it 4-5+ hours from me. That said, dont make much depend on me, because an extremely relevant factor is that my wife's due date is 20 Nov and there's a very good chance I won't be going anywhere (certainly nowhere overnight!). If it falls such that I can swing it, I'll come, but don't make things depend on me to the exclusion of others - both distance and life are pretty much a factor in my attendance. (Of course, if we ever want to do it in central PA, I've got a church to meet at, with coffee and a kitchen to feed y'all...haha!)
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Postby Xenops » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:40 am

Systematiker wrote:Thanks for quoting me, I had meant to subscribe to updates and didn't.

I'm in the Altoona area, so NY/NJ/CT begins putting it 4-5+ hours from me. That said, dont make much depend on me, because an extremely relevant factor is that my wife's due date is 20 Nov and there's a very good chance I won't be going anywhere (certainly nowhere overnight!). If it falls such that I can swing it, I'll come, but don't make things depend on me to the exclusion of others - both distance and life are pretty much a factor in my attendance. (Of course, if we ever want to do it in central PA, I've got a church to meet at, with coffee and a kitchen to feed y'all...haha!)

Congratulations! I agree, your wife and kid should be priority. ;)

It sounds like we have two votes for the Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I'll check at work to see if I can have those days off (especially if I'm willing to work Thanksgiving day itself! Time and a half, yo).
0 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

I'd be interested in a NYC or Boston meetup.
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Postby Xenops » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 pm

It looks like I can have the 20th and 21st of November off (yay!), so shall we plan for those days? :D

Also, should we vote on location? NYC or Boston makes the most sense to me: the former because there will be lots to do, and the latter will also have lots to do, and also because it would be easy for me. ;) I'm not as excited about Hartford CT, I interviewed there recently, and it doesn't seem that interesting of a city. But I'm open to any of the three options mentioned so far.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:11 am

I can do one or the other. I need to make it a day trip since I'll be leaving my other kids (bringing baby) with family and I can't leave them overnight. NYC is definitely preferable to me over Boston.
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”