LLorg East Coast ~2023~

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: LLorg East Coast 2017

Postby Ani » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Xenops wrote:
Ani wrote:Hmm.. Now we are getting quite close.. Is this just me and xenops tomorrow? Are we still on?

We are! Or at least, us two are. :D Hopefully more will join.

Shall we do the Bare Burger place at 12:30 or 1:00? I’ll post more when I’m back at my computer.

Yup this works for me.. I'll PM you my cell# later today
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 pm

lichtrausch wrote:Sorry, my workload sharply increased so I won't be able to join.

Sorry to hear that. :( I'll be in town that evening if your workload lightens up.

emk wrote:I'm still trying to get down there for tomorrow—just figuring out if some last minute details are feasible. I'll post here one way or the other.

Let's hope you can make it. :D

Okay, I'm at a computer now: Let's try the Bareburger located here:

Bareburger
85 2nd Ave (at E 5th St)
New York, NY 10003
United States

The place looks like it has ketogenic and veggie options as well (and organic!), and the ratings look good. Here's what I'm looking at:
https://foursquare.com/v/bareburger/4f079279e4b090ef210c97d5

Let's meet there at 1:00pm (so we, or me rather, would have plenty of time to get there), and it's a 0.6 mile walk from there to the Strand Bookstore, for afterwards. Then we'll go from there, if we want to try a more exotic restaurant that evening. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

Xenops wrote:Let's meet there at 1:00pm (so we, or me rather, would have plenty of time to get there), and it's a 0.6 mile walk from there to the Strand Bookstore, for afterwards. Then we'll go from there, if we want to try a more exotic restaurant that evening. ;)

The Bareburger at 1pm it is! I'm in. See you all there.
2 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm

OK, I made it to Bareburger ahead of schedule. If anybody else is around early, feel free to drop me a PM and we can meet up early. See you soon!
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 am

A huge thank you to Xenops and Ani! We had a great time in NYC. We geeked out about languages, hit up The Strand (my verdict: not especially great for foreign language books, but the prices are reasonable and you might be able to dig something up), and we geeked out some more. Bareburger was delicious and good for a group with mixed dietary preferences.

Many media recommendations were also exchanged...

(And on the way down, I got to listen to 2 hours of Les Années lumières, and read a good chunk of a fun novel translated from English. So life is good!)
8 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 am

I had so much fun! What a great day. Thank you, Xenops for heading up the planning and being decisive for us. It was great food and great talk. I needed this Geeky conversion in my life ( although now I need to learn Middle Egyptian...)
I can't wait until 2018 in Montreal!
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:36 am

emk wrote:A huge thank you to Xenops and Ani! We had a great time in NYC. We geeked out about languages, hit up The Strand (my verdict: not especially great for foreign language books, but the prices are reasonable and you might be able to dig something up), and we geeked out some more. Bareburger was delicious and good for a group with mixed dietary preferences.

Many media recommendations were also exchanged...

(And on the way down, I got to listen to 2 hours of Les Années lumières, and read a good chunk of a fun novel translated from English. So life is good!)

Ani wrote:I had so much fun! What a great day. Thank you, Xenops for heading up the planning and being decisive for us. It was great food and great talk. I needed this Geeky conversion in my life ( although now I need to learn Middle Egyptian...)
I can't wait until 2018 in Montreal!

Thank you, you two, for joining me. :D You two are inspirational to me.

For the Montreal idea...There is the polyglot gathering in August, but Ani mentioned she usually comes to this corner of the woods in November...Should we plan our own gathering for then? EMK knows where to go, too.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:18 am

I just noticed this topic and happened to see a Montreal is being planned :) I'm in the process of renewing my work permit so unless something horrible happens (knock on wood) I'll be around!

I made a little visitor's guide for some coworkers who were in town which I can edit/add to in a shared document that others can add to with their recommended spots and tips. I have some ideas of good language-centric activities though some would depend on what time of year it is. Summer is absolutely magical so I really recommend visiting then (even if an official meetup can't be arranged it would be worth just making a visit on your own - feel free to give me a heads' up if you're visiting). Otherwise the fall is nice, winter can be fun in many ways but there are a lot of reasons why people wouldn't want to come then either. The only time where it's not really that nice and there isn't anything interesting going on is about March (other than the first week though it's still pretty freezing cold then) to April or even May.

I'll do my best to visit the forum a bit more regularly to keep an eye on plans. If I do seem to have fallen off the face of the LLorg earth feel free to contact me through other means (social media links or other contact info if you have it).

Can't wait!
4 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)

Postby sctroyenne » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 am

I found the guide I had written up previously so I thought it would be a good idea to come by here and share it in case anyone wants to start planning. You can follow the Google docs link to here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ns0 ... sp=sharing

I'm planning on adding to it/editing it a bit. I had written it for colleagues who were going to be in town including some essential French for road signs and whatnot. I might write a little blurb on different neighborhoods to give people an idea of what areas they might want to check out or even stay in as well as more info on special events (not just for August). It includes links to my Google map lists I've been making (might do some editing there as well but at least it's a start).

I also jotted down some ideas for language-focused activities (a lot will be French obviously):

LangFest or LangMinis
Mundo Lingo language exchange (or other language exchanges - this is the big one, though)

Various bookstores (mostly carrying French books): on Mont-Royal, Ste-Catherine, Saint-Denis, Drawn & Quarterly in the Mile End, Michel Fortin foreign language bookstore, Librairie Olivieri in Côte-des-Neiges, Italian bookstore, Spanish bookstore, German? (or at least the Goethe Institute)

Library for enormous browsing potential (you can pay for a membership as a non-resident if you think you'll visit Montreal often enough to make it worth it or if you find that access to the online content is worth it).

French films (larger releases all over the place, more indie/artsy/documentary stuff at indie theatres). There's also the Cinémathèque Québécoise which might have interesting stuff. In summer there are also several film in the park series, including an Italian one in Little Italy.

Theatre, improv, live comedy

Music and/or any one of many festivals that may be going on
3 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt

Postby sctroyenne » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 am

I don't like driving traffic to MTL Blog's site but this article isn't so bad and it's useful. For East Coasters looking for alternatives to driving/flying to Montreal the Amtrak line from New York/Saratoga Springs is supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides: https://www.mtlblog.com/whats-happening/this-montreal-to-new-york-train-ride-ranked-most-beautiful-in-north-america
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”