How do people feel about surveys?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.

How do you feel about language-learning surveys from new users?

I enjoy filling out surveys! It helps scientists and students learn more about language learners.
26%
They're not my thing, but sure, why not?
33%
I only like some surveys. For example, ones that are meant for independent learners, advanced learners and/or polyglots. (Feel free to explain below.)
23%
We've had more than enough surveys, thank you, and I'd prefer the mods to be a lot more choosy about what they approve.
18%

Total votes: 39

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

How do people feel about surveys?

Postby emk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 am

In a recent survey thread, smallwhite asked:

smallwhite wrote:So you will stay with us after the questionnaire? None of our previous questionnaire posters stayed with us.

I have definitely noticed that many people disappear after posting surveys.

We get a pretty wide variety of surveys: Some surveys are created by actual researchers, and others by students doing homework. Some surveys are very generic and could be asked in any language classroom. Other surveys are extremely specific, and could really only be asked on a forum similar to this one. Some researchers are happy to follow up. Others just post a survey and disappear.

One of the big reasons we still approve surveys from new users is because tons of people always respond, "Oh, a survey, how fun! Let me fill it out." As long as enough people enjoy surveys, we're happy to keep approving them.

But, ultimately, this question is up to the community: Do you still enjoy doing surveys? Or are they getting boring? Or would you like the mods to be a bit choosier about which surveys we approve? We'll read everybody's responses, look at the survey results, and then go ahead and make an arbitrary and capricious decision. :lol: But at least it will be a well-informed capricious decision!

(And of course, none of this will affect surveys posted by regular forum members. As usual, people who are part of the community get considerably more leeway in posting about their projects.)
6 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: How do people feel about surveys?

Postby smallwhite » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:40 am

I don't mind surveys on this forum.
I despise commercial surveys that don't offer to pay or reward the respondents, but still I don't mind such surveys on this forum.
It was just the "I would love to exchange experiences and stories with whoever is interested" that made me ask my question.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Some boards I have frequented had a subforum created specifically for polls and surveys, allowing those interested to find them all in one place and those uninterested to avoid them entirely. Just an idea.
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I choose other. I am extremely picky about the studies I take part in. I will gladly take part in them but I will only do so if it's a part of an academic study (and I expect there to be a lot of contact information - if the researcher(s) is based in the US I expect IRB approval with very few exceptions), a study done by an organization that I am very familiar with (and know isn't going to misuse the data), or a study done an individual person/people who I know or are friends with people that I know.

Yes some here might find those standards to be high but I've been a research subject off and on since I was 14 or 15 and it's becoming pretty clear that my life is going to be that of an academic. I value ethical data collection and research and will not knowingly take part in a study if that's not what's happening.
Last edited by aokoye on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

taryn
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N)
English (C1)
Chinese (B1)
Spanish (A1)

Postby taryn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I understand what you mean. I obviously needed valid responses and joined a language learner site because I thought that I could have an authentic evidence from the people who enjoy learning languages like I do. But, at the same time, I feel that it's a nice way to get in touch with a reality that I am personally investigating on, that is online education and peer-to-peer interaction. We may not attend the same lessons or speak the same languages, but we have the possibility to overcome this barrier and I would like to take advantage of it.

emk wrote:In a recent survey thread, smallwhite asked:

smallwhite wrote:So you will stay with us after the questionnaire? None of our previous questionnaire posters stayed with us.

I have definitely noticed that many people disappear after posting surveys.

We get a pretty wide variety of surveys: Some surveys are created by actual researchers, and others by students doing homework. Some surveys are very generic and could be asked in any language classroom. Other surveys are extremely specific, and could really only be asked on a forum similar to this one. Some researchers are happy to follow up. Others just post a survey and disappear.

One of the big reasons we still approve surveys from new users is because tons of people always respond, "Oh, a survey, how fun! Let me fill it out." As long as enough people enjoy surveys, we're happy to keep approving them.

But, ultimately, this question is up to the community: Do you still enjoy doing surveys? Or are they getting boring? Or would you like the mods to be a bit choosier about which surveys we approve? We'll read everybody's responses, look at the survey results, and then go ahead and make an arbitrary and capricious decision. :lol: But at least it will be a well-informed capricious decision!

(And of course, none of this will affect surveys posted by regular forum members. As usual, people who are part of the community get considerably more leeway in posting about their projects.)
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 pm

I appreciate thoughtful surveys.

I posted one survey trying to identify how many hours members spent studying their language(s) each day. The results were very useful to me for establishing my own standards of how much time I should put in studying.

Thank you mods; you are the best.
1 x

taryn
White Belt
English (C1)
Chinese (B1)
Spanish (A1)

Postby taryn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm glad you were able to reach your objective!

Carmody wrote:I appreciate thoughtful surveys.

I posted one survey trying to identify how many hours members spent studying their language(s) each day. The results were very useful to me for establishing my own standards of how much time I should put in studying.

Thank you mods; you are the best.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm

taryn wrote:I understand what you mean. I obviously needed valid responses and joined a language learner site because I thought that I could have an authentic evidence from the people who enjoy learning languages like I do. But, at the same time, I feel that it's a nice way to get in touch with a reality that I am personally investigating on, that is online education and peer-to-peer interaction. We may not attend the same lessons or speak the same languages, but we have the possibility to overcome this barrier and I would like to take advantage of it.

Please do not worry! You are definitely welcome here on the forum.

If you would like to enjoy talking to other language learners, you might enjoy the Language logs section of the forum. This is where people post diaries about their language-learning experiences, and there's always lots of interesting conversations going on in people's logs.

One really cool thing about language logs is that you can see a huge variety of different learning techniques, and you can see how people progress over time. One unusual thing about this forum is that there's no "official learning style", and people try many different things. This forum also offers a large sample of successful language learners, people who can comfortably converse in the languages they learn.

(Also, you might enjoy the "Skype My Maybe" video that a number of internet polyglots helped make! Iversen, Fasulye and a couple of others are either moderators or occasional visitors here.)
3 x

taryn
White Belt
English (C1)
Chinese (B1)
Spanish (A1)

Postby taryn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I am definitely interested in widening my knowledge on language learning. And I think it's cool that there is not an official learning style, because people like to expand their horizons. If it weren't for progress and a need for novelty, we wouldn't be here talking on the Internet almost simultaneously! So, thank you, I will definitely check them out.

emk wrote:
taryn wrote:I understand what you mean. I obviously needed valid responses and joined a language learner site because I thought that I could have an authentic evidence from the people who enjoy learning languages like I do. But, at the same time, I feel that it's a nice way to get in touch with a reality that I am personally investigating on, that is online education and peer-to-peer interaction. We may not attend the same lessons or speak the same languages, but we have the possibility to overcome this barrier and I would like to take advantage of it.

Please do not worry! You are definitely welcome here on the forum.

If you would like to enjoy talking to other language learners, you might enjoy the Language logs section of the forum. This is where people post diaries about their language-learning experiences, and there's always lots of interesting conversations going on in people's logs.

One really cool thing about language logs is that you can see a huge variety of different learning techniques, and you can see how people progress over time. One usual thing about this forum is that there's no "official learning style", and people try many different things. This forum also offers a large sample of successful language learners, people who can comfortably converse in the languages they learn.

(Also, you might enjoy the "Skype My Maybe" video that a number of internet polyglots helped make! Iversen, Fasulye and a couple of others are either moderators or occasional visitors here.)
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 pm

I don't mind taking part in a well thought out survey. But most are simply not that.

For example, there are studies that assume you either go to the usual classes, or you learn with Duolingo and Memrise, nothing else. And I find that out only after filling a third of the survey, and I cannot simply answer the questions. The most overlooked option is a serious learner who buys the books with CDs and works with that without any teacher and without relying just on online toys.

A pretty good example here. Elearning is a wider term, and I filled a part of the survey before realising this is meant only as online classrooms or perhaps italki? I don't know. I learn online a lot, but I very rarely pay a teacher (usually one such attempt per year or so).

A huge problem are questions guiding us too much. Suggestive ways of asking. This is a huge issue in the sociology and psychology research, yet people focusing on these surveys don't care(including people from academia, who should know better).

So, yes, I am definitely willing to take part in a survey, but: (and this is meant in general, not all of it for this one survey):
1.Tell me what it is about, so that I don't waste time with something I still cannot honestly finish
2.Be honest about your allegiances and bias. It is different to fill our a survey for an academic researcher and for someone asking about their own product. I don't mind either in general, but I want to know.
3.Share the results, that is the minimum to be asked after giving you a bit of my time.
4 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”