We need a new forum tag line! (brainstorming)

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Re: We need a new forum tag line! (brainstorming)

Postby Luso » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Whodathunkitz wrote:"The independent language learners’ forum"

I like this one, because that's what we are in a nutshell. If conveys the ideas of community and sharing, even though those could be more explicit. Maybe a little turn of phrase by someone (obviously) more inspired than me...

On another (unrelated) note, I have nothing against quotations per se, but I'm a little tired of seeing them everywhere on the web. I think we can come up with something without that kind of help.
5 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 pm

How about something reasonably recent: "I know words. I have the best words"

(too political? too ironic? too trade-mark-infringey?)
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm

lavengro wrote:How about something reasonably recent: "I know words. I have the best words"

(too political? too ironic? too trade-mark-infringey?)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's almost too funny to moderate *prays nobody escalates or reports it so comment need not be deleted*
3 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm

tommus wrote:There has been a lot of discussion in the past about having one or more links across the top of the Forum to go directly to the Wikia, the Blog, etc. I know that buttons and links are at the top of "http://www.language-learners.org" but most newcomers and probably most members spend almost all of their time on the Forum. Many (or most) forget that the Wikia even exists. So to have these buttons across the top of the Forum would very significantly improve the visibility (and likely the use and contributions) to the Wikia and the Blog. And it would help keep members (especially new members).

As for a new tagline, I would like to see something that claims we have the best language learning forum, the best advice, and the best community on the whole Internet. When new users see those "new links" to the Blog and the Wikia, they will be convinced. :D

I normally don't quote myself but in this case, I'd like to raise the same issue again about us getting visible links to our Wikia and Blog. That post got 12 "likes" indicating quite a few people think it is a good idea. I pointed out later that I don't personally know how to help technically on this issue. But I am willing to help in some way, or learn how to help, because I think these two links are very important for helping current members, encouraging participation, and attracting and keeping new members. What can I do to help? What can "we" do to get these links?
8 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Tommus, feel free to PM me to remind me about this!

tommus wrote:
tommus wrote:There has been a lot of discussion in the past about having one or more links across the top of the Forum to go directly to the Wikia, the Blog, etc. I know that buttons and links are at the top of "http://www.language-learners.org" but most newcomers and probably most members spend almost all of their time on the Forum. Many (or most) forget that the Wikia even exists. So to have these buttons across the top of the Forum would very significantly improve the visibility (and likely the use and contributions) to the Wikia and the Blog. And it would help keep members (especially new members).

As for a new tagline, I would like to see something that claims we have the best language learning forum, the best advice, and the best community on the whole Internet. When new users see those "new links" to the Blog and the Wikia, they will be convinced. :D

I normally don't quote myself but in this case, I'd like to raise the same issue again about us getting visible links to our Wikia and Blog. That post got 12 "likes" indicating quite a few people think it is a good idea. I pointed out later that I don't personally know how to help technically on this issue. But I am willing to help in some way, or learn how to help, because I think these two links are very important for helping current members, encouraging participation, and attracting and keeping new members. What can I do to help? What can "we" do to get these links?
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Okay, which do people like best out of these:

1. From a mother language to another language

2. An independent platform, looking at language learning from all sides

3. Independent language learning hints, resources and discussions

4. We talk languages

Alternatively, if you've something wonderfully witty & inclusive then speak now! Some people have posted ones I really like but a lot of posters also said they want to make it clear that we are for all types of learners of all abilities. I think these avoid any kind of appearance of bias or intimidation.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 am

Bluepaint wrote:2. An independent platform, looking at language learning from all sides

Either of these :D (is the comma before "looking" needed?)
"We talk languages" is probably cool for native speakers but even I find it somewhat confusing :P
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:41 am

Bluepaint wrote:Okay, which do people like best out of these:

1. From a mother language to another language

2. An independent platform, looking at language learning from all sides

4. We talk languages

Alternatively, if you've something wonderfully witty & inclusive then speak now! Some people have posted ones I really like but a lot of posters also said they want to make it clear that we are for all types of learners of all abilities. I think these avoid any kind of appearance of bias or intimidation.

I like 1 or 4.

I like how 1. rhymes but have slight reservations that it may somehow not describe some people who are going from a non mother language to another language. Maybe I’m overthinking that but there are plenty of people here who learn languages starting from a base that is not their mother tongue.

I like number 4. because it captures what we do here, it applies to pretty much every thread. I don’t think it excludes anyone. And I like the humorous play on talk/speak.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 am

Does "mother language" sound awkward and is this better? -

From a mother tongue to another tongue
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:50 am

smallwhite wrote:Does "mother language" sound awkward and is this better? -

From a mother tongue to another tongue

I think your suggestion DOES sound better but it still seems not quite right to me because: 1. many people here use a SECOND language as a base to learn a third - they don’t actually go from their mother tongue, and 2. Many people here are learning/have learned MORE than ANother tongue - they are learning other tongueS.

Like I said - maybe I am overthinking it - but I really like the suggestion “We talk languages” because that seems to cover everything we do.

It would be good to pick something soon. This has been canvassed for nearly a year now. The placeholder text has got tired and it may even discourage newcomers who see it? Mods/Admin shall we have a poll?
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”