LLorg London 2017

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: LLorg London 2017

Postby Elenia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:27 pm

I think if we do make it Vienna, the best thing to do would be a bookshop tour culminating in a pub visit with maybe some games? Nothing too intense, and nothing that requires us to book venues or have a good knowledge of the area.
2 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:26 pm

No booking? Do you mean a one day venture? Given that most or all of us would arrive at different times and we would have to travel to Bratislava I don't know if time will be enough. I've been thinking of arriving on 26th, Saturday, spending the Sunday in Vienna and then transfering on 28th, Monday, to Bratislava just in time for the Gathering.

Or it could be free for all - everyone decides for themselves when to arrive and we just make plans where and when to meet.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Vedun wrote:No booking? Do you mean a one day venture? Given that most or all of us would arrive at different times and we would have to travel to Bratislava I don't know if time will be enough. I've been thinking of arriving on 26th, Saturday, spending the Sunday in Vienna and then transfering on 28th, Monday, to Bratislava just in time for the Gathering.

Or it could be free for all - everyone decides for themselves when to arrive and we just make plans where and when to meet.

Have they announced the dates already???
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Are the dates set? I never get info from the organizers. :roll:
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Vedun wrote:27-29 october/Ísland

http://polyglotconference.com/
The "Learn more Germanic languages with historical linguistics" talk looks interesting. I think there is already a project to teach several Romance languages simultaneously.
I will take the audience on a journey into the history of Germanic languages and explain them a bit about the (Grimm’s) Sounds Shifts, tell them about how language can change over time and give them some examples about what could influence language change. Why does everyone say that Dutch is a mixture of German and English? Why are these three languages so similar and how can you learn new words easily by have a bit more information about their background? And how is it that some people talk ‚Denglish‘? At the end of the presentation, I want to practice these language laws and showing the public how easy learning new words between these languages is. E.g.: t>s en/nl water, dt. Wasser p>pf en/nl pond/pound dt. Pfund If you get to know these general rules, it will be a lot easier to especially read texts at the beginning of language acquisition. In addition to that, it is a lot of fun seeing these laws can be applied easily.

EDIT
I was thinking of the EuRom5 project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercomprehension
Last edited by DaveBee on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:06 am

Vedun wrote:No booking? Do you mean a one day venture? Given that most or all of us would arrive at different times and we would have to travel to Bratislava I don't know if time will be enough. I've been thinking of arriving on 26th, Saturday, spending the Sunday in Vienna and then transfering on 28th, Monday, to Bratislava just in time for the Gathering.

I meant a venue for us to meet in. As many (if not all) of us will then be going on to the gathering, we probably won't need more time than a day or two to hang out as just us LLorg folks. And of course the ideal would be for us all to arrive in Vienna for the same full day(s). We'd meet up and do communal activities and maybe explore Vienna together, but with regards to bed and board people would be responsible for their own time.

DaveBee wrote:The "Learn more Germanic languages with historical linguistics" talk looks interesting. I think there is already a project to teach several Romance languages simultaneously.
I will take the audience on a journey into the history of Germanic languages and explain them a bit about the (Grimm’s) Sounds Shifts, tell them about how language can change over time and give them some examples about what could influence language change. Why does everyone say that Dutch is a mixture of German and English? Why are these three languages so similar and how can you learn new words easily by have a bit more information about their background? And how is it that some people talk ‚Denglish‘? At the end of the presentation, I want to practice these language laws and showing the public how easy learning new words between these languages is. E.g.: t>s en/nl water, dt. Wasser p>pf en/nl pond/pound dt. Pfund If you get to know these general rules, it will be a lot easier to especially read texts at the beginning of language acquisition. In addition to that, it is a lot of fun seeing these laws can be applied easily.

The Polyglot conference is a separate event (although many of the same people would be in attendance). The Conference is happening this October in Iceland, the Gathering is happening next year - May, I believe - in Slovakia :)
2 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am

rdearman wrote:

Have they announced the dates already???
No, I was just going by the organisers' words:
We'll announce the dates soon, as well as other details. (But roughly: end of May, beginning of June again).
Possibly [end of May, beginning of June means 28. May - 1. June], but we need to discuss this with the university first.
I imagine if it's not that exact week, it's going to be either the previous one or the next one.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Are the dates set? I never get info from the organizers. :roll:

No, not yet
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:40 pm

tarvos wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:Are the dates set? I never get info from the organizers. :roll:

No, not yet

There is a newsletter you can sign up to which promises to send out updates RE next gathering. I just signed up for it.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:36 pm

I did that one month ago (but wouldn't be surprised if there is info which I haven't got).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”