LLorg/HTLAL in-person meetup event

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.

If there were a LLorg/HTLAL meetup, in which locations would you be interested?

North America
28%
South America
6%
Europe
43%
Russia
11%
Asia
6%
Africa
1%
Australia
4%
willing to travel anywhere
No votes

Total votes: 81

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: LLorg/HTLAL in-person meetup event

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:54 pm

It did cross my mind to do an event in the UK at one point. This obviously appeals to me because I can just go home at night. :lol:
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 pm

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I kind of like the idea of LLOrg badges. Hats. T-shirts. A secret handshake! (OK, that was maybe enough coffee for today. Time to switch to herbal tea.)

:shock: Maybe I should stick to learning Finnish. It's probably easier.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:32 pm

rdearman wrote:It did cross my mind to do an event in the UK at one point. This obviously appeals to me because I can just go home at night. :lol:

Yay! Meet up at Rick's house! Bring a sleeping bag.
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:It did cross my mind to do an event in the UK at one point. This obviously appeals to me because I can just go home at night. :lol:

:shock:

Err... no.
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:46 pm

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

:shock:

Err... no.

*cancels train ticket*
2 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I kind of like the idea of LLOrg badges. Hats. T-shirts. A secret handshake! (OK, that was maybe enough coffee for today. Time to switch to herbal tea.)

:shock: Maybe I should stick to learning Finnish. It's probably easier.

I've tripped up the stairs already today and walked into a wall so if we could maybe have a less tricky secret handshake that'd be grand. :shock: :(
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Realistically, how many people would be interested in a small event in London as the European leg of the meeting? (Or just outside of London which would be a whole lot cheaper?). I'm thinking a "Weekend Break" type thing which would start Saturday morning and end Sunday evening. That would give people a chance to fly or travel without having to take huge amounts of vacation time. But would allow people to do some sightseeing on the Monday or Friday, etc.

London Stansted has a ton of discount airlines, and is generally a direct flight for most EU countries. It shouldn't cost much to find a small venue (he says hopefully). I suggest rather than lectures we could play games in different languages. Werewolf or perhaps a game of D&D in French or Italian? Could do the lecture thing, but they seem to have that covered well at the gathering. What do they do at Esperanto meetups?
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:52 pm

+1 if not before the Gathering, reasonable prices and nothing unexpected pops up till then (and if it isn't three men's party).
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:58 pm

rdearman wrote:Realistically, how many people would be interested in a small event in London as the European leg of the meeting? (Or just outside of London which would be a whole lot cheaper?). I'm thinking a "Weekend Break" type thing which would start Saturday morning and end Sunday evening. That would give people a chance to fly or travel without having to take huge amounts of vacation time. But would allow people to do some sightseeing on the Monday or Friday, etc.

London Stansted has a ton of discount airlines, and is generally a direct flight for most EU countries. It shouldn't cost much to find a small venue (he says hopefully). I suggest rather than lectures we could play games in different languages. Werewolf or perhaps a game of D&D in French or Italian? Could do the lecture thing, but they seem to have that covered well at the gathering. What do they do at Esperanto meetups?

Maybe, depends when it is and how much money I have at the time. Also, how close are those bookstores everyone's always talking about? Maybe we could have a field trip to the bookstore.
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:22 pm

arthaey wrote:* It very well might make sense to have two events, a North American and a European one, for travel expense reasons. Stupid oceans. Assuming there's even interest in the first place.

That seems logical. I'm going to selfishly vote for the North American event to be in Portland, OR (because you know - that's totally a central place...at least we have a nice airport) if only because of Powells Books. Also then I wouldn't have to fly anywhere but Powells is a perk and accommodations and food are cheaper than somewhere like Chicago or NYC.

(just watch, this'll happen in the summer at which point I'll be in Europe for a few months)
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”