LLorg/HTLAL in-person meetup event

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.

If there were a LLorg/HTLAL meetup, in which locations would you be interested?

North America
28%
South America
6%
Europe
43%
Russia
11%
Asia
6%
Africa
1%
Australia
4%
willing to travel anywhere
No votes

Total votes: 81

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: LLorg/HTLAL in-person meetup event

Postby Spoonary » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Provided I can get the time off work, I would definitely be up for a meetup in London (or elsewhere in Europe). I also think a google hangout would be fun, when I'm all set up in my new place. :)
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Xenops wrote:When we finish raiding one Powell's of all of their language books, we'll move to the other. :D

Yes! Like multilingual locusts! ...or something. ;)
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 am

We've already had a few meetings in Moscow and I'd be happy to attend one more :D
In Europe London is about the worst place for me because the UK visa is expensive and harder to get than Schengen. (although a bigger issue for me is that at the weekend I tend to spend almost all my free time watching football, which is why I haven't gone to any of the polyglot events yet)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 am

I'm hoping for something in North America, it's hard to justify going anywhere in Europe for me (if it's vacation time, and it's Europe, it's the in-laws, or something). I would even be OK with something in the Pacific NW or in New England, I can always make an excuse to do some work-related travel around the time...

Seriously, though, I'd be up for it, I just don't see me traveling super far for it (which is why I'm giving the polyglot events a miss as well).
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 am

Xenops wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
I thought that you were a man.

Nope, just a chick that likes pixie hair cuts. :)

oh sorry!! :)
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:50 am

vogeltje wrote:
Xenops wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
I thought that you were a man.

Nope, just a chick that likes pixie hair cuts. :)

oh sorry!! :)

No worries. :D
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:09 am

arthaey wrote:
aokoye wrote:I'm going to selfishly vote for the North American event to be in Portland, OR (because you know - that's totally a central place...at least we have a nice airport) if only because of Powells Books. Also then I wouldn't have to fly anywhere but Powells is a perk and accommodations and food are cheaper than somewhere like Chicago or NYC.

(just watch, this'll happen in the summer at which point I'll be in Europe for a few months)

Portland might actually be a decent location: we can all raid Powell's foreign language section. :) And yeah, way cheaper than a lot of the larger cities.

When are you in Europe, so we can avoid those dates?

I might also be at a conference in Berkeley right before I go to Europe so let's just say I'm free before July 1st and after October 1st. Other pros for Portland outside of Powells - a lot of good food that is relatively inexpensive (especially compared to any other logical place to have this in North America), public transportation isn't horrible and is pretty inexpensive, and lots of outdoorsy things to do.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:14 am

Xenops wrote:When we finish raiding one Powell's of all of their language books, we'll move to the other. :D

There was a huge fiber arts conference here twice in the late 2000s/early 2010s (weird to write that but you know) and dear god did people demolish the knitting and crocheting sections. I mean they were easily replenished but it was madness. Being the enabler that I am, I will also note that Powells does ship anywhere in the continental US for free if you buy $50 in books (and likely other merchandise).
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:48 am

aokoye wrote:
arthaey wrote:
aokoye wrote:I'm going to selfishly vote for the North American event to be in Portland, OR (because you know - that's totally a central place...at least we have a nice airport) if only because of Powells Books. Also then I wouldn't have to fly anywhere but Powells is a perk and accommodations and food are cheaper than somewhere like Chicago or NYC.

(just watch, this'll happen in the summer at which point I'll be in Europe for a few months)

Portland might actually be a decent location: we can all raid Powell's foreign language section. :) And yeah, way cheaper than a lot of the larger cities.

When are you in Europe, so we can avoid those dates?

I might also be at a conference in Berkeley right before I go to Europe so let's just say I'm free before July 1st and after October 1st. Other pros for Portland outside of Powells - a lot of good food that is relatively inexpensive (especially compared to any other logical place to have this in North America), public transportation isn't horrible and is pretty inexpensive, and lots of outdoorsy things to do.
Why not embrace those dates instead and make any eventual meetup in Europe after or a little after you're done with your work there?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Had a bit of time available today and looked into what might be interesting. There is an estate near London which has a cooking school where we could do an all day cooking class given by a professional chef, and extensive meeting rooms as well as a golf course (if you like that sort of thing). Or instead of meeting rooms inside you can get a huge tent out on the grounds and hire a DJ for entertainment. I haven't bothered to find out the prices because I don't know what everyone would want to do, or even dates.

But lets say end of July, or August? Also are we synchronising a UK & USA & (others) to the same weekend? Or would people prefer 2 days like Thursday & Friday? People interested in lectures like the Polyglot Gathering, or activities for meeting each other, like the cookery school, or wine tasting, etc?

(( I am actually getting worried asking questions and my idle curiosity is going to get me into trouble again. Being too bloody helpful got me this administration job. :roll: ))
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”