Is HTLAL down again?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Is HTLAL down again?

Postby emk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Bluepaint and I are in touch with the admin (maybe), and we'll offer to help out in any way we can.

HTLAL is built around a older, ASP-based forum package with extensive customizations for many of the neat features it supports. The admin has done an impressive job keeping running for as long as he has. I'm hoping we can help him keep all that great information and history online.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:27 pm

emk wrote:I'm hoping we can help him keep all that great information and history online.

While HTLAL is outdated, outmoded, old fashioned and slow, the information over there is gold. The methods discussed and probably most of the learning materials are still in use and probably will be for years to come. I hope it can be up and running again soon.
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:58 pm

iguanamon wrote:
emk wrote:I'm hoping we can help him keep all that great information and history online.

While HTLAL is outdated, outmoded, old fashioned and slow, the information over there is gold. The methods discussed and probably most of the learning materials are still in use and probably will be for years to come. I hope it can be up and running again soon.

It's up and running as of today. I have asked FX about the site and I have presented different solutions and asked his feelings on the subject. Either he needs more time to mull things over or the subject of him passing the torch is not up for discussion. I hope it's the former but sadly I think his silence on the subject indicates the latter.

He has indicated he would accept some help updating the website but it would take specific skills & a lot of time, not to mention it would have to be someone very trusted.
5 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Anyway, glad that it's back again.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

mrwarper
Orange Belt
Languages: A bunch, in various stages
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=39905

Postby mrwarper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm

A long time ago (I must have been in a galaxy far, far away) I missed this:
Bluepaint wrote:Does anyone know if Mrwarper has made any recent backups of HTLAL?

At least one moderator knows ; )
0 x
MrWarper while HTLAL is offline.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm

mrwarper wrote:A long time ago (I must have been in a galaxy far, far away) I missed this:
Bluepaint wrote:Does anyone know if Mrwarper has made any recent backups of HTLAL?

At least one moderator knows ; )

Is this like... Only the shadow knows....
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

mrwarper
Orange Belt
Languages: A bunch, in various stages
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=39905

Postby mrwarper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

rdearman wrote:
mrwarper wrote:At least one moderator knows ; )

Is this like... Only the shadow knows....

I wish I knew more about the character -- I'd probably find the reference punchier / funnier. Was that spoken in a scary voice on a radio serial or something? : )

That was a hint that I can be reached and asked directly: even if I am in ghost mode 99.99% of the time, I still drop by sometimes, and the LLorg forum is supposed to give me a heads up if someone PMs me... assuming you really want to know. And of course, there's that moderator ; )
0 x
MrWarper while HTLAL is offline.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:14 am

So has the forum finally died?
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am

I visited HTLAL yesterday, and one thing had definitely gone berserk: the voting system. As a moderator I can see some statistical pages, and so many votes were registrered for August that it totally blew the system. The administrator could in principle delete all votes from the period where the avalanche occurred and then things would be more or less back to normal, but nobody else has that kind of access. I can't even see whether the error has occurred in the system itself or is the result of some kind of hacking - but in the last case: why just attack the voting data?

Actually there is a previous example: the viewer numbers for my HTLAL log from a certain point exploded (about one year before I stopped writing there). I assumed that some kind of treshold had been reached, and from then on the system would add all visitors for the whole site (or something like that) to the statistics for my log - even after days where I hadn't written anything. I reported the error, but it was never corrected. This case leaves the possibility open of other holes in the calculation system - maybe there weren't any votes at all, and then the system tried to divide by zero or something like that. But I can't check this hypothesis.

I haven't tried to login to HTLAL today, but the forum opens normally.
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”