Is HTLAL down again?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Is HTLAL down again?

Postby aokoye » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 pm

Serpent wrote:fxcuisine is also down. When I googled it, google suggested "fxcuisine what happened" :? It also turns out the site has an instagram account, and FX has been notified in the comments that the site is down.

I didn't realize fxcuisine is so popular.

In 2015 the domain expired on July 16 btw (initially available for a couple of days' grace period and renewed on July 21). But back then the forum was accessible through an alternative URL.

edit: with some reading through old posts I see that according to emk the domain is paid for through 2019 or 2020, and that the link we used in 2015 doesn't work.

Updated the wikia too. Were there really no outages in 2018?

I totally remember finding Fx cuisine when I was doing my summer of macarons. That was 10+ years ago? I didn't realize until now that the two websites were connected - or rather, that they had the same owner. Mind you, I also forgot that FX cuisine existed but I will now be following the instagram account.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 am

The HTLAL is back again! Good grief, I must have aged 20 years over thoughts of not being able to access these archives!
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:42 pm

You know I honestly cannot remember the last time I logged in there.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Back up and I'm even still logged in!

Curious if anyone ever delved any further into the "legal" aspect of re-hosting the site as an archive? Obviously it looks like the admin is still good to renew the license whenever needed, but the situation does remain precarious. I still use the site all the time for reviews of various materials and the more long-winded discussions of language families, etc. We don't really get those here.

I do think some of the longer posts ought to be extracted into blog entries hosted here or elsewhere for longevity, as well as ease of finding without having to navigate the morass of subforums and 20+ page threads.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm

rdearman wrote:So of the moderators used to have contact details. I will ask them to contact him again. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

I am one of the old moderators from HTLAL, and I remember that in the last couple of years FX didn't even respond to questions from the moderators through the intern mail in the system. It is a long time since, but I faintly remember that we also used e-mail to contact him (for instance during the big blackout that led to the formation of this forum), but with as little result as through the internal channel. Some years before that I do remember that I got some direct responses from him in certain matters that concerned the moderation strategy, but I simply don't remember whether it was through e-mail or through the internal mail system.

Anyway, I stopped visiting the forum at new year 2018-19. It was not meant as a new years resolution, but in practice it has functioned as such, I had authorized lots of new users, but there was so little activity that it only felt to me as a chore. Besides some of the statistical functions had broken down and hadn't been fixed, so I simply lost the will to administer a ghost forum. Those who want to access the content can do searches through Google which can compete with those that are built into the system itself (but only accessible by registered users).

As for publishing the complete content of a forum like HTLAL I doubt that it is legal without the consent of FX. However publishing your own contributions must be permitted since we never ceded the author rights to the forum, only a non-exclusive right for FX to publish and use our contributions.
5 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:13 pm

And down again (along with fxcuisine). I last used it on June 21.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:31 pm

It's up again now.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:It's up again now.

You should know - you and Fasulye are probably the last die-hards who still write posts there! :D

I have visited once since New Year. I wanted to find something I once wrote about English language history, but the search function (which only is accessible when you are logged in) seems to be broken.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Iversen wrote:

You should know - you and Fasulye are probably the last die-hards who still write posts there! :D

Well, as long as it's still alive...
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

It was down on June 22-27. Have you noticed any outages after that?
@Iversen google search definitely works better than the built-in one.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”