Is HTLAL down again?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Re: Is HTLAL down again?

Postby dampingwire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 pm

patrickwilken wrote:I was thinking that perhaps things were a bit different now if the site itself is permanently down.

In fact, if site really is permanently down it's hard to imagine what sort of commercial damage could come from rehosting the material on the site. Though I wouldn't argue we should do that.

It's not permanently down: it's up right now, I just checked.

If it were down that would make no difference to the legality though.

Of course, if it were down you couldn't systematically ask archive.org to archive all the posts (or even a subset you care about).
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:25 pm

dampingwire wrote:If it were down that would make no difference to the legality though.

I wouldn't suggest hosting the site without permission.

My thought was just that copyright violations (I think) are mostly interested in commercial damages. That's why here in German downloading the same pirated film via a Torrent costs about 1000 Euros (because it's claimed that there are many multiple of the film distributed for each download) and downloading it from a non-Torrent site is illegal but essentially only worth the usual cost of buying a single film.

If copyright damages occurred for hosting the site it would presumably similar. What were the financial damages for rehosting a site that didn't exist on the original site, and which didn't. It might be illegal, but I doubt there could be strong claims of financial damages.

But my knowledge of copyright law is only marginal at best.
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:51 pm

On the issue of damages, even in the absence of actual commercial loss or damages, there is the possibility in many jurisdictions of statutory damages for copyright breach. In Canada, for example, statutory damages for copyright breach can be as high as $20,000 (Canadian $$, which lately would be the equivalent of $much less in other currencies) - https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html?autocompleteStr=copyrigh&autocompletePos=1. I understand that statutory damages for proven copyright breach can be much higher in the United States.

No idea as to how the Swiss might deal with this.
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm

SCMT wrote: ... I could not get the HTLAL links to load, but it may be a firewall problem; I will try again later.
Hmm, I just tried to access the HTLAL without using the above links and Google returned the following error message:
HTLAL not presently available.JPG

Hopefully, the administrators will intervene shortly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Doesn't work for me either.
Only FX or the hosting provider can fix this.

Do we know how long this has lasted? I last used the old forum on June 11.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Serpent wrote:Doesn't work for me either. Only FX or the hosting provider can fix this. Do we know how long this has lasted? I last used the old forum on June 11.
I accessed the HTLAL yesterday.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 pm

New members with no experience at HTLAL won't get what the old forum means to those of us who signed up here four years ago when we migrated to this forum. Every time HTLAL goes down, I wonder if this will be the time it doesn't come back. While there is (was?) a lot of good, almost timeless, and still relevant information over there (that a lot of us here helped to create), it is becoming less and less essential as time passes. Maybe FX decided not to pay the bill any more, or perhaps entropy finally had its way with the place. While it will be sad to see HTLAL go extinct, it won't be as tragic today thanks to rdearman and emk's hard work in getting LLORG up to where we are now.

There was nothing like HTLAL, at the time, for those of us who love learning languages... and talking, reading, and writing about them. It's thanks to HTLAL, I now speak more than two languages and am able to share what I have learned with new members here. If this is it, the end of HTLAL, I just want to say thank you to FX for starting and running the forum. You helped a lot of people to learn any language. :)
16 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 am

fxcuisine is also down. When I googled it, google suggested "fxcuisine what happened" :? It also turns out the site has an instagram account, and FX has been notified in the comments that the site is down.

I didn't realize fxcuisine is so popular.

In 2015 the domain expired on July 16 btw (initially available for a couple of days' grace period and renewed on July 21). But back then the forum was accessible through an alternative URL.

edit: with some reading through old posts I see that according to emk the domain is paid for through 2019 or 2020, and that the link we used in 2015 doesn't work.

Updated the wikia too. Were there really no outages in 2018?
3 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:22 pm

12h ago FX wrote on instagram that it's "coming back imminently".
4 x
Corrections welcome

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm

iguanamon wrote:There was nothing like HTLAL, at the time, for those of us who love learning languages... and talking, reading, and writing about them. It's thanks to HTLAL, I now speak more than two languages and am able to share what I have learned with new members here. If this is it, the end of HTLAL, I just want to say thank you to FX for starting and running the forum. You helped a lot of people to learn any language. :)
FX did all of us language learners who were lucky enough to find the site an enormous service. By continuing the site FX furthers the favor, because a lot of useful material remains on that site.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”