Is HTLAL down again?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Is HTLAL down again?

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Serpent wrote:@Iversen google search definitely works better than the built-in one.

I second this, not that I've used google to search HTLAL in a while.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 am

Serpent wrote:@Iversen google search definitely works better than the built-in one.

I know that, but I used Google search with a site tag and some rather complex search terms, and then I got the message TWICE that Google suspected me of being a bot and now please solve some captcha riddles of the kind where you choose the relevant fields on an image, and somehow that dastard thing wouldn't accept my answers and I got one image after the other - heaven knows why, I'm sure my answers were correct. Then I logged into HTLAL (for the first time this year), only to discover that its internal search came out with an error. I then did a simpler search with Google which gave some answers and no riddle, but NOT the message I was searching for (the one where I for the first time discussed the claim that Middle English descends from Old Norse). And then I gave up and wrote a new message from scratch without any links to the old discussion.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I remember once trying to link to an old thread on here - I had quoted Prof A from one of the downloaded files I have, and so I typed the exact quotation into Google with the site: marker and got zero results. I just tried "old norse" "middle english" "iversen" site:htlal and did not find the discussion alluded to, so either Google's algorithm is questionable in ways beyond the political sphere, or HTLAL is somehow hard for it to properly crawl.
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”