Proposed Finnish profile

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: Proposed Finnish profile

Postby tiia » Sun May 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Serpent wrote:
tiia wrote:I left the group temporarily, because all the beginner's questions annoyed me a few months ago.
Totally offtopic but you can unsubscribe from a fb group if you just want to visit it occasionally but not read every post :)
@Chung I'll definitely do that :)

I know. But I was still procrastinating and being annoyed at the same time. I just needed some time totally off.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Tue May 17, 2016 1:38 am

tiia wrote:I still wanted to post a list, right. I just requested access to a FB-group again which has a very good list of (online) materials. (I left the group temporarily, because all the beginner's questions annoyed me a few months ago. - And the group is perfect for procrastination and endless discussions about Finnish grammar. So comments about books I don't own are basically influenced by comments there or on amazon.de.)

I would also add that Suomen kielen alkeisoppikirja (Silfverberg, Lepäsmaa) contains already a lot of grammar. Many series need two books to cover that much. The jatko-oppikirja already covers grammar which is only found in very few books, like the potential mood.

Ok, a first rough version:

Books in German:

Yksi kaksi kolme 1
Yksi kaksi kolme 2
Yksi kaksi kolme 3
by Senja Riekkinen-Gebbert. The first two books of the old series fit together quite smoothly. Since the first book run out of print, there's a new version, which has more chapters and a bit more content. (From what I heard I would recommend the old one. There's a good comparison of both versions on amazon.de.)
Basically the first two books have a lot of easy and short dialouges, sometimes you get to write a postcard or so. Vocabulary is progressing slowly. Can be used for self-learning.
Audio CD and a key are available if needed (or just the whole package at once.) The new version of the first book can be bought without CD or key. Costs: ~31€, for the packages, ~25€ for the books only.

In the third book every chapter has a fairy tale adapted for learners. The fairy tales are each 3-6 pages long. Maybe the new vocabulary is not sooo useful considering one didn't learn so many words in the first two books.
It's a huge step from book 2 to book 3! One should definitely study some other material in between to get used to reading, e.g. news etc. On the other hand the book is rather independent, so also possible to use without knowing the first two books. You will learn how to understand lauseenvastikkeet step by step on a passive basis (long) before you learn how to build the forms yourself. (That's definitely not bad and different from all other books I know.)

Hei! Moi! Terve! by Annaliisa Kühn
The newest Finnish book on the German market (published 2016). It got quite a quite good review and sounds quite promising. Unfortunately there's only a beginner's book, so one has to use other material later on.

Hei Suomi! [one should look up the author]
It's rather old, which one will notice because they're still talking about the Sovjet Union and it includes gender stereotypes. It has a lot of vocabulary from the beginning, some of it being extremly useless, from what I've read. (People noticed words like 'watershed'.).

Finnisch für Sie [would have to look up the author as well]
It will be hard to find a copy of this one, since it is very old and out of print for a long time. But as far as I heard the grammar is well structured.

Also Pons has some Finnish Powersprachkurs or so. (I don't remember the exact name.) The grammar should be quite ok for practicing. A really thin book, so you should use more than only this book.

Grammatikübungsbuch Finnisch by Molan
Grammar excercises on a beginner's level, but probably useful also later on. Including the solutions. The second print got a few corrections, so if possible take that one.

Grundwortschatz Finnisch by Molan
Basic vocabulary with examples, ordered by theme. Got really good reviews. If one is looking for a "Wortschatz" in German-Finnish, this is your choice! (The other ones are not as good as this one, sometimes even just incomplete Google translations.)

Lextra Finnisch (don't know the exact title, but there's only one Lextra for Finnisch) contains mistakes. Don't use it. Every book listed above is better than that.

Dictionaries

Langenscheidt Finnisch
The ONLY dictionary designed for Germans learning Finnish. All the words affected by consonant graduation are marked with a *. Unforunately it's not updated for 16 years or so and contains only 30 000 words. But it fits in every pocket, so useful for travelling. For serious study take one of the WSOY or Gummerus dictionaries. Costs ~10,95€

Finnish-German dictionaries by WSOY
- several sizes available, therefore several prices.

Saksa-Suomi-Saksa by Gummerus
- you can get it for less than 20€. (Seen it also for 50-60€ in a German bookstore, so better buy it in Finland.)
It doesn't really matter whether you take WSOY or Gummerus, if they have the same amount of words. They're both absolutely ok.

If you need really special vocabulary there are the MOT-Online dictionaries. They are VERY good and contain the widest selection of words I've seen so far. Very good also for technical words. As a student of a Finnish university you should have access to them for free. Otherwise they are quite expensive. There are dictionaries for several languages available.

And also worth to mention:
Tarkista tästä. THE book about rektiot. It's a simple liste with examples, but useful and more or less the only* book of it's kind. Completely in Finnish. (There's "Rakastan sinua. Pidätkö sinä minusta" by the same author. The content is more or less the same, but tarkista tästä covers also a few nouns and adjectives, while the other one only covers verbs.)

tiia, I've incorporated your comments about learning material in the main profile, and where necessary added the authors of some of titles that you had mentioned. Check it out to make sure that I haven't missed anything. If everything is OK, I'll then tell rdearman to put it on the static site.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sat May 21, 2016 9:21 am

Chung wrote:tiia, I've incorporated your comments about learning material in the main profile, and where necessary added the authors of some of titles that you had mentioned. Check it out to make sure that I haven't missed anything. If everything is OK, I'll then tell rdearman to put it on the static site.

I finally had the time to check it. Very good work!

However, a few remarks:

Morgen fahrt Marko nach Kuopio. (German)

Morgen fährt Marko nach Kuopio.

13c) Yksi, kaksi, kolme 3. Finnisch für Deutschsprachige (Senja Riekkinen-Gebbert & Virpi Törmänen)

Does it really make sense to list the illustrator? Amazon lists Virpi Törmänen for the new version of the book (and she did the illustrations already before), but not even the publisher lists her name.

The new version of the first book can be bought without CD or key.

The new version of the first book cannot be bought without CD or key.

That's not necessarily invalid but it's definitely from the approach in other coursebooks.

Did you mean "different" instead of "definitely"? (Or did I make the mistake already?)
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Chung
Blue Belt
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sat May 21, 2016 3:13 pm

tiia wrote:
Chung wrote:tiia, I've incorporated your comments about learning material in the main profile, and where necessary added the authors of some of titles that you had mentioned. Check it out to make sure that I haven't missed anything. If everything is OK, I'll then tell rdearman to put it on the static site.

I finally had the time to check it. Very good work!

However, a few remarks:

Morgen fahrt Marko nach Kuopio. (German)

Morgen fährt Marko nach Kuopio.

13c) Yksi, kaksi, kolme 3. Finnisch für Deutschsprachige (Senja Riekkinen-Gebbert & Virpi Törmänen)

Does it really make sense to list the illustrator? Amazon lists Virpi Törmänen for the new version of the book (and she did the illustrations already before), but not even the publisher lists her name.

The new version of the first book can be bought without CD or key.

The new version of the first book cannot be bought without CD or key.

That's not necessarily invalid but it's definitely from the approach in other coursebooks.

Did you mean "different" instead of "definitely"? (Or did I make the mistake already?)

Danke für deine Mitarbeit! Ich habe das Profil berichtigt.
1 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 pm

I just made an exciting discovery and thought I would share it here. I actually was not entirely sure whether to post it in the "You know you're a language geek..." thread, as I am sure the number of people excited by: https://finnlectura.fi/oppimateriaalit/suomen-mestari-4 are probably few. But as the learning materials for Finnish are few, and those that go beyond B1 fewer still, this is quite exciting.

It was released at the end of 2016, but I have only just stumbled upon it.
2 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for that. As it happens, I picked up a copy of Suomen Mestari 4 earlier this month while in Helsinki, and look forward to using it (next year???). I've added that title and a link to its streamable audio in the list of resources.

I've also added a link to Kielo which I (re)found recently after initially stumbling upon it a few years ago. It's in Finnish only as it's meant for (im)migrants/refugees attending Finnish classes.
1 x

Φιλόσοφος
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: Spanish
Speaks: English
Reads: French, German, Italian
Studies: a couple dozen more

Postby Φιλόσοφος » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:00 am

Which Finnish online bookstores are currently shipping abroad? Has anyone had recent experience ordering books from Finland? For some reason it is exceptionally difficult to obtain books from Scandinavia.
0 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:03 am

Φιλόσοφος wrote:Which Finnish online bookstores are currently shipping abroad? Has anyone had recent experience ordering books from Finland? For some reason it is exceptionally difficult to obtain books from Scandinavia.

booky.fi will ship outside Finland, although it's not clear if that means just the rest of Europe or indeed anywhere outside Finland. Send an email to asiakaspalvelu@booky.fi to confirm.

I've never ordered online to get stuff from Finland as I've been able to pick up books/DVDs while visiting. Little do the check-in clerks on my flights to Europe suspect what I have in mind for my unusually light/empty carry-on luggage. :mrgreen:
2 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”