REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Postby Serpent » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:39 pm

would it be okay to quote small passages from books under fair use?
like Kató Lomb's lists of "do's and dont's" or Gunnemark's percentage comparisons of language similarity?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Serpent wrote:would it be okay to quote small passages from books under fair use?
like Kató Lomb's lists of "do's and dont's" or Gunnemark's percentage comparisons of language similarity?

I've quoted the appropriate section of the UK government web-site dealing with this. You should be OK as long as you acknowledge the copyright of the author, the amount of passages are small in both size (couple of paragraphs) and quantity (3-4 passages).

Fair dealing for criticism, review or quotation is allowed for any type of copyright work.

Sufficient acknowledgment

In relation to certain exceptions, if you are making use of that exception to copy someone else’s work it is necessary for you to sufficiently acknowledge their work. For example, where you have copied all or a substantial part of a work for the purposes of criticism or review, or where the use was for the purposes of news reporting.

However such acknowledgment is not required where it is impossible for reasons of practicality.

Fair dealing
Certain exceptions only apply if the use of the work is a ‘fair dealing’. For example, the exceptions relating to research and private study, criticism or review, or news reporting.

‘Fair dealing’ is a legal term used to establish whether a use of copyright material is lawful or whether it infringes copyright. There is no statutory definition of fair dealing - it will always be a matter of fact, degree and impression in each case. The question to be asked is: how would a fair-minded and honest person have dealt with the work?

Factors that have been identified by the courts as relevant in determining whether a particular dealing with a work is fair include:

• does using the work affect the market for the original work? If a use of a work acts as a substitute for it, causing the owner to lose revenue, then it is not likely to be fair
  • is the amount of the work taken reasonable and appropriate? Was it necessary to use the amount that was taken? Usually only part of a work may be used

The relative importance of any one factor will vary according to the case in hand and the type of dealing in question.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:38 pm

I, for one, would love an article on how language learning changed someone's life for the better as it did with me. I used to have low self esteem when it came to academic tasks, used to hate reading, and used to not be able to think outside the box before I started language learning. Since then, I've made the Dean's list at my university almost every semester, read at least two books a month, and enjoy more vigorous mental tasks.

Or even on how people whose native language is Germanic or Romance managed to learn another language like Mandarin, Russian, or Arabic to a C1+ level. I'm sure more goes into it than how an English speaker would learn Spanish or French.
3 x

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:24 pm

rdearman wrote:Comments were becoming a real problem. Last week I had over 700+ comments which were all spam, and possibly buried in there might have been 1 legitimate comment. So I nuked them all and removed the ability to comment, life is just too short to try a fight spam bots.

I had been thinking the comments section must be prone to spam, but 700+... no wonder it was hard to filter out legitimate comments. I'm glad you decided to remove the section. It probably also encourages visitors more to move to the forum area if they want to engage.

iguanamon wrote:I agree that the solution involves in communication with the author and the administrator or moderators. Few of us have a journalism background (for fact checking) or are professional writers or editors.

I'm glad you wrote the post and certainly didn't mean to criticise you for not knowing all the minority languages out there. You're right that it's a good idea to just message the writer of the article directly.

sillygoose1 wrote:I, for one, would love an article on how language learning changed someone's life for the better as it did with me.

Maybe you should author this article?Your story sounds like a great example. I suspect many or most of us will feel that language learning improved their lives in some or many ways. Although some of it would be too personal to share, language learning also changed me and contributed a lot of positive experiences to my life.

I would love to see more collaborative efforts for future articles. If people work on them together with someone coordinating each article, I think we might get more content, as well as more varied content, for the front page. I think HTLAL originally had a subforum with threads for articles. Would that be an option? Or would it make sense to discuss the possible topics in the general discussion forum and then compile the replies into articles=
3 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:45 pm

druckfehler wrote:I would love to see more collaborative efforts for future articles. If people work on them together with someone coordinating each article, I think we might get more content, as well as more varied content, for the front page. I think HTLAL originally had a subforum with threads for articles. Would that be an option? Or would it make sense to discuss the possible topics in the general discussion forum and then compile the replies into articles=

That sounds like a brilliant idea, it would certainly help build up some of the language descriptions. Perhaps a thread for people to coordinate input for some of the permanent pages would be good.

Let me explain the difference: "permanent pages" are pages like the language learning FAQ, or the Spanish language profile page. These are on the menu at the top level and they stay there.

The guest posts like the one done by iguanamon and the multi-track approach or sizen's French youtube resources. This aren't in the menu and they move down the sidebar as new posts are added on top of them.

Chung has volunteered to give me a Profile page for Slovak (Slovenčina) which will be going up soon. So it would be good to build up some more language profiles, and a thread dedicated to each language might be a good way to start a cooperative design. I'll speak with the moderators and see how we might establish such a time, and how it could be done. I will investigate and see what we can do.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:52 am

I'm working on a language profile for Korean, more or less following the structure of the Spanish profile. After I bring some more order into the resources section, I will post it for discussion and ask the members who know/study Korean and everyone else who wants to contribute what's missing and what should be changed.
1 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:31 pm

iguanamon wrote:We do need more content over there. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm going to name a few names of people whom I would like to see contribute.
........ Ogrim could tell us how he managed to learn Romansch; ................

Several weeks ago I promised rdearman to write something like that and I made a good start. However, lately I have been extremely busy with a lot of other things, and therefore been somewhat absent from the forum with little time to post and even less time to work on my contribution to the static site. Now I do intend to keep my promise and the next couple of days seem to be somewhat quieter, so I aim at finalising my piece and send it over to the admin within a few days.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm

I'd take on suggestions for assignments. I have really no idea what I can write about that would result in something of substance and usefulness. I'd need strong English proofreading (unless someone volunteers to translate from Portuguese).
3 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Expugnator wrote:I'd take on suggestions for assignments. I have really no idea what I can write about that would result in something of substance and usefulness. I'd need strong English proofreading (unless someone volunteers to translate from Portuguese).

Expug, you should have lot of intersting topics to share. Personally I'd love to read about your experience learning Georgian. What the challenges were, what you found particularly difficult, what surprised you etc. I am not saying you should write a complete language profile, but for "lesser studied/exotic languages" it would be very interesting to learn a little bit about the language from a learner's point of view, not just what anyone can read in Wikipedia.
5 x
Ich grolle nicht

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Expug, you have quite a lot you can share. I, and most of us here, are very impressed with how you learn multiple, difficult opaque languages simultaneously and efficiently. Some other ideas: how you manage to squeeze enough time in during the day by utilizing your hidden moments so efficiently and how you learn without SRS. You certainly don't take the easy route and you seem to enjoy the challenge. If you need help with proofreading, I will volunteer. I could probably also translate, though I am not such a good translator.
4 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”