REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to put out another request for some content for the static website. We've been getting a lot of hits, and a lot of new members based on the great content which members have already shared. So if you've got something you think would make a good guest post, please contact me. :mrgreen:
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Postby iguanamon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:26 pm

We do need more content over there. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm going to name a few names of people whom I would like to see contribute.
I would love to see a post from Serpent describing how she uses football (soccer), lyrics training and DLI GLOSS to learn languages. Iversen's Guide would be a great addition. Smallwhite's spreadsheet and front-loading strategy; emk's cheating and consolidating method; Expugnator could flesh out his multiple language-learning strategy and efficiency; Ogrim could tell us how he managed to learn Romansch; Chung has lots of experience to share; Speakeasy could tell us why he values older, more thorough courses and why others should too, in greater detail; James29's efficient approach to learning a language; Christina could talk about her recent Russian-learning experience- these are just a few.

Besides these ideas, some more ideas could include "Learning my spouse's language", "Learning a so-called 'dead' language, "The challenges and rewards of learning Mandarin/Russian/Arabic/Esperanto/Swedish/Norwegian/Icelandic/Croatian, etc".

I'd also like to see some "How learning a language changed my life" and "Why I like learning languages/How and why I got started learning/Success story" articles. Even people who have yet to learn a language to a high level could contribute. For example, "What I have learned from the forum that I didn't learn from youtube polyglot videos", "Mistakes I made when starting out" and maybe the relative strengths and weaknesses of techniques like Duolinguo, Memrise and learner's podcasts, "A day in the life of a self-taught/self-learning polyglot", "How knowing the local language enhanced my travels", etc.

We have so much talent and expertise here on the forum- people who inspire every day. Let's put some of that on our front porch to get some people to come into the house!
15 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am

I'd been thinking of a 'learning my partner's language' post recently, although I hadn't really thought of the static sight. I've since lost all inspiration, but I'll see if I can think something up. There are quite a few people learning their partners' and spouses' languages, it would be nice to hear from all of them, because it's probably a process that we all experience differently.
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:44 am

Here's a dumb question. Where exactly is the static site? I probably bookmarked it at one time, but I think maybe it should have a nice, obvious link from the forum. Perhaps up where the little tabs for new posts and active posts and suchlike are.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:14 am

One step above the subdomain "forum" - i.e. http://language-learners.org/ I agree that it would be nice to include it in the subheader or among the quick links.
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Eliza
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French (C1), Polish (B1); actively studying French

Postby Eliza » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Wow, I didn't know as well that there was a static website! Oops :)

Maybe it would be a good idea to encourage everyone to indicate helpful posts to the admins. Given that the author agrees, his post could be used as for a best-of collection on the static website. Or maybe he just writes a short introduction and posts it as a regular blog post; this doesn't require as much effort as writing a blog post from scratch.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:39 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:One step above the subdomain "forum" - i.e. http://language-learners.org/ I agree that it would be nice to include it in the subheader or among the quick links.

Definitely, because it's almost impossible to find if you don't know it's there. In fact, I did know about it and still couldn't figure out where it was. Most newer people probably didn't even know it existed before seeing this post.
3 x

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:59 am

I stumbled across the main site a few months ago. I like the articles already on there, but have a minor complaint. There used to be a section for comments and I used this section to comment on My Experience Learning a Minority Language (Guest Post by iguanamon). My post was never approved and the comments section seems to have been removed altogether now. I understand that makes sense - after all we have the forum for comments. But I'm still not happy my comment was simply deleted and the factual error I pointed out ignored.

Iguanamon wrote a truly wonderful article about studying minority languages, but this is not correct:
The only country where a creole language is official is Haiti

There is at least one other creole with official status: Bislama.

I'm thinking about writing a guest post or two, but would want to make sure I or someone else can correct them when people point out errors.
1 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:09 pm

druckfehler wrote:I stumbled across the main site a few months ago. I like the articles already on there, but have a minor complaint. There used to be a section for comments and I used this section to comment on My Experience Learning a Minority Language (Guest Post by iguanamon). My post was never approved and the comments section seems to have been removed altogether now. I understand that makes sense - after all we have the forum for comments. But I'm still not happy my comment was simply deleted and the factual error I pointed out ignored.

Iguanamon wrote a truly wonderful article about studying minority languages, but this is not correct:
The only country where a creole language is official is Haiti

There is at least one other creole with official status: Bislama.

I'm thinking about writing a guest post or two, but would want to make sure I or someone else can correct them when people point out errors.

I apologise about the comment being removed. Comments were becoming a real problem. Last week I had over 700+ comments which were all spam, and possibly buried in there might have been 1 legitimate comment. So I nuked them all and removed the ability to comment, life is just too short to try a fight spam bots. However you do have a legitimate complaint and to address this I would ask that if you do see an issue with an article, you might want to PM the author, or one of the forum moderators. The best course of action is to talk to the author, because they might wish to re-write, correct, or just have a footnote added. Or if the forum member isn't active any longer, or if at some point we get guest posts from non-members the moderators can modify the static site.

Again, sorry about your lost comment.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 pm

I stand corrected. I make errors all the time. I cannot edit the post. If rdearman wishes to correct it. He has my permission. He could change it to "Haiti is one of the very few countries in the world where a creole language is official." Since I can't edit it, really, rdearman is the one who has the necessary permissions to do so. It does create more work for him. I agree that the solution involves in communication with the author and the administrator or moderators. Few of us have a journalism background (for fact checking) or are professional writers or editors.

Back on topic, I'd like to see more people writing articles. When we were all at HTLAL, we got used to living under a benevolent dictatorship and had little to no input on things. Now, our administration is giving us what we say we wanted back then and it's sad that so few are taking advantage of the opportunity- especially with all the talent and knowledge we have here.

Also, let's get a link on the forum front page to the static site. In the past, people found the HTLAL static site and then found the forum through the link there. That's how I found the forum. That's the idea for providing more content on the static site. It is the equivalent to "curb appeal". It's the drive up to the house and our front porch. If the landscaping (articles and information) is nice enough, people may want to come inside the house, check out the various rooms and hang out with the people who live there. Having a static site with lots of diverse articles from non-profit seeking people who have successfully taught themselves a language or two or three, gives people more of a choice than just following the usual youtube polyglots. Not everyone who wishes to learn a language wants to be a polyglot. Some just want to learn, gulp, one language- at least at first. Some may not want to learn ten languages simultaneously and some may want to do just that. Reading advice from people who were once just like them, who have done what they want to do is the hook to get people to participate and keep the forum alive. It is still useful to people and will continue to be so, as long as we keep getting new members.
6 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”