REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: REQUEST FOR CONTENT

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:29 pm

If you have any idea for an article in Portuguese that could attract fellow Brazilians (and other Lusophones), that would also be welcome :)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:53 am

iguanamon wrote:We do need more content over there. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm going to name a few names of people whom I would like to see contribute. (...) Iversen's Guide would be a great addition.

Sorry about the late answer, but I have been on a three week holiday with minimal internet access.

I have stored my guide as an ordinary thread in the forum at this address: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2036&p=23167#p23078, the reason being that nobody would ever find it if it was put in the static section. OK, maybe the guide will also be buried and read by absolutely nobody as an ordinary thread, but at least it will be technically possible to find it, and I refer to it in the first post in my multiconfused log, which I under normal circumstances update frequently enough for it to stay in the list over the last week's active topics. If the access to the static part becomes easier I could have a version there too, eiter as a link to the thread, as a simple text or as an e-book.
3 x

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 am

What I think would also be nice to have as posts or overviews on the main site are the challenges that are going on. Yes, there is a whole forum for all the chat and so on, but sometimes there are challenges that are buried or not announced at all (e.g. SC 16-17 still has no real announcement thread or so, also the 6WC often isn't pushed again when it starts)
Maybe one could have an overview article with what's going on right now, how long they last, what they are about, how and where to sign up, either with the whole rules or the link to where to read about them.
Even I as a not so new member just stumbled upon the 16-17 SC by accident. New member would probably think it's already over since the thread is just continued from the past challenge.
2 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 am

Komma wrote:What I think would also be nice to have as posts or overviews on the main site are the challenges that are going on. Yes, there is a whole forum for all the chat and so on, but sometimes there are challenges that are buried or not announced at all (e.g. SC 16-17 still has no real announcement thread or so, also the 6WC often isn't pushed again when it starts)
Maybe one could have an overview article with what's going on right now, how long they last, what they are about, how and where to sign up, either with the whole rules or the link to where to read about them.
Even I as a not so new member just stumbled upon the 16-17 SC by accident. New member would probably think it's already over since the thread is just continued from the past challenge.

That is a good idea. I can make a challenge page on the main site and link to the appropriate thread on the forum? Would that work?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:02 am

rdearman wrote:That is a good idea. I can make a challenge page on the main site and link to the appropriate thread on the forum? Would that work?

6WCs have a new thread every time and I like it that way. Should I maybe create a generic 6WC thread that gets pinned to the top of the Challenge subforum, and then I update its first post every time there's a new 6WC and thus a new thread?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)

Postby Komma » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:38 am

@rdearman: I guess that would be very good to have. And if there is some time, one could also add a small standard info:

e.g.
Super Challenge
- what? 100 books (50 pages each) and 100 films (90 minutes each)
- current/next round: May 1st 2016 to December 31st 2017
- sign-up/ rules/ discussion: [Link(s)]

6 week Challenge
- what? learn as much in one language as possible during a 6 week period
- current/next round: May 1st 2016 to June 12th 2016 (?)

and so on. Probably one could also make a guideline for current or future challenges to have like a registration-and-rules-thread and a discussion thread for each challenge, (eg. one for SC 16-17, a new one for 18-19 or like that), so it is easy to link to these pages and one does not have to search through all the posts in the discussion thread of some older challenge. Or keep the registration-thread but with an updated first post to include the current period and the current rules, and a discussion thread per new challenge round at least for big/ long challenges.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Komma wrote:@rdearman: I guess that would be very good to have. And if there is some time, one could also add a small standard info:

e.g.
Super Challenge
- what? 100 books (50 pages each) and 100 films (90 minutes each)
- current/next round: May 1st 2016 to December 31st 2017

6 week Challenge
- what? learn as much in one language as possible during a 6 week period
- current/next round: May 1st 2016 to June 12th 2016 (?)

and so on. Probably one could also make a guideline for current or future challenges to have like a registration-and-rules-thread and a discussion thread for each challenge, (eg. one for SC 16-17, a new one for 18-19 or like that), so it is easy to link to these pages and one does not have to search through all the posts in the discussion thread of some older challenge. Or keep the registration-thread but with an updated first post to include the current period and the current rules, and a discussion thread per new challenge round at least for big/ long challenges.

I don't suppose you'd like to do this for me? Because if I do it then it is probably going to take awhile. Then you can just PM me the information and I'll create the page and keep it current.

Or if you just create a thread in the HTLAL area like Chung has done for profile pages, then people can comment and add then I can grab the page from the first post after you're happy with it?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:29 pm

I made this summary of the challenges last year or so :)
1 x
Corrections welcome

Komma
Orange Belt

Postby Komma » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:51 am

rdearman wrote:I don't suppose you'd like to do this for me? Because if I do it then it is probably going to take awhile. Then you can just PM me the information and I'll create the page and keep it current.

Serpent wrote:I made this summary of the challenges last year or so

Also @Serpent. This overview is very neat :D Maybe we could also just link to this or put that on the main page if Serpent is ok with it..
Otherwise, I'd be willing to make a new one similar to what I already suggested in my previous post and take Serpents overview as a help to not forget anything :D
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:07 am

I'm totally fine with linking to it or quoting directly, that's what wiki content is for :D
1 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”