HTLAL is not dead, but...

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Re: HTLAL is not dead, but...

Postby newyorkeric » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:24 am

I just checked HTLAL after many years and hadn't even heard of this new site until today. They were the good old days but I may start checking here. I do miss some of the HTLAL formatting and features but times change.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 am

Welcome! I remember you from the other place.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Good to see you again, newyorkeric! :)
1 x

sirgregory
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish
Studies: German, French

Postby sirgregory » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:57 pm

What happened to HTLAL exactly? I gather that the administrator abandoned the site and he was the only one with admin rights so there was no one to maintain the site. Do I have that right?

What will happen to LLORG if, God forbid, rdearman gets hit by a bus? I see Bluepaint and emk are also listed as admins, so we will be good as along as all three aren't hit by buses at the same time?
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:25 pm

I suppose I still have moderator status at HTLAL, but I have stopped visiting the site. I can just say that it became more and more difficult even for the moderators to get into contact with the administrator FX, and when Llorg was started I decided to stop writing at HTLAL, and later even to check what happens there (not much, I presume). And FX was the only one that had administrator rights so certain tasks became impossible to carry out.

By the way: during the early years of HTLAL there was a time where only one moderator from the original team still was active (not enough with the immense activity at the time), and then FX asked for applications I became one of the moderators from the 'second generation'.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Did he ask for applications? I think there were nominations.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:15 pm

As I remember it FX wrote that the site needed some more moderators, and soon after we had a new team (plus Patuco from the old team). I remember that I reacted on that message -which I took as an invitation - so I was not appointed without having shown some interest, but I don't remember the exact form of the original message, nor how the rest of the moderators were chosen. Anyway it doesn't matter now so I'm not going to investigate the question. I find it more important what happens here.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:41 pm

sirgregory wrote:What happened to HTLAL exactly? I gather that the administrator abandoned the site and he was the only one with admin rights so there was no one to maintain the site. Do I have that right?

What will happen to LLORG if, God forbid, rdearman gets hit by a bus? I see Bluepaint and emk are also listed as admins, so we will be good as along as all three aren't hit by buses at the same time?

We actually have four people with administration privileges, two in Europe and two in North America. We also have split access to the Aws backend service. All the old problems we tried to address from day one so we wouldn't have the same issues as HTLAL.

It would have to be a big is to take us all out. :lol:
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

sirgregory
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish
Studies: German, French

Postby sirgregory » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:24 am

rdearman wrote:
sirgregory wrote:What happened to HTLAL exactly? I gather that the administrator abandoned the site and he was the only one with admin rights so there was no one to maintain the site. Do I have that right?

We actually have four people with administration privileges, two in Europe and two in North America. We also have split access to the Aws backend service. All the old problems we tried to address from day one so we wouldn't have the same issues as HTLAL.

It would have to be a big is to take us all out. :lol:

Ok, that is a relief that we have hemispheric diversification because my next question was going to be if we've mitigated exposure to an asteroid strike.
3 x

newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Postby newyorkeric » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:33 am

Iversen wrote:By the way: during the early years of HTLAL there was a time where only one moderator from the original team still was active (not enough with the immense activity at the time), and then FX asked for applications I became one of the moderators from the 'second generation'.

Same here. I was a mod for several years until I asked to be removed. I don't remember why I did that.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”