Keeping lists of recommended content

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Keeping lists of recommended content

Postby arthaey » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I find others' lists of the foreign language content they've enjoyed immensely useful, but this info tends to be scattered throughout their logs (and other threads, too).

A wiki seems like the "right" solution to this, except then it's off-forum (and thus not discoverable by searching or browsing).

For my own recommendations/reviews, I was thinking of just continuously editing the first post of my language log. Anyone have a better suggestion?
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Keeping lists of recommended content

Postby Arnaud » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:50 pm

We could create a new "room"- media recommendations grouped by language. This way everyone can participate and edit their own post to add more. Of course- no linking to illegal downloads; no llegal stream links and no posting movie length videos. Trailers would be appropriate and useful, but links go dead over time. When, it's time to update, the members simply edit their own post.

So, how would this work? If I go to say, Spanish, I might find posts from Stelle, Arthaey, Spoonary and James29 and others. It would be something to check every so often. The recommendations should probably go something like this: date first (of course there's the debate of which to put first- American 11/28/2015 or UK/Euro/International 28/11/2015); level of language appropriate (best estimate); page length for books; films- what subtitles are available and are they accurate in L2?; translated or dubbed, etc. With a date and the recommendations underneath it, it would be easy to see at a glance when the post was updated.

Example:
28/11/2015 Celia, Mi Vida by Celia Cruz 245 pages hardcover; B2 appropriate (maybe high B1)- The autobiography of the Queen of Salsa, Cuban-American singer Celia Cruz. Not available as of yet in electronic format.

I enjoyed this book. It had almost no words to look up for me- (YMMV). Celia Cruz is a legend in Caribbean Music. Her career started in Pre-Revolutionary Cuba and spanned the Castro Revolution, refuge in Mexico, immigration to the US, numerous Grammy awards, worldwide travel and shows, interaction with the greats of Latin music and the creation of Salsa with Tito Puente and the Fania All Stars. The book encompasses the romance and color of a bygone era. This would be a good choice for anyone interested in the history of a genre of popular Latin music and a good first non-translated book for an intermediate learner.

The logs have a lot of good recommendations in them that not everyone sees. Suppose you start learning Spanish and you don't know who Stelle is because she was away when you joined, you'd miss out on a lot of good stuff she recommends. If there were a dedicated room for language media recommendations people could go there and look anytime and glean the goodies without having to go through umpteen pages and pages of various logs. Having a media "room" grouped by language could be useful. People, though, would have to participate to make it work. I could see fatigue with double-posting on the log and the thread as a downside. My problem is that I can't remember half of what I have read, watched and listened to over the years. The main problem, as always on the forum when a collaborative effort is proposed, would be getting people to participate and remembering to edit their posts instead of making new ones when they want to add to their list. Self-learning a language, by definition, is highly individual. That's why it can be difficult to get people to cooperate in a forum composed of rugged individuals.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:08 pm

arthaey wrote:I find others' lists of the foreign language content they've enjoyed immensely useful, but this info tends to be scattered throughout their logs (and other threads, too).

A wiki seems like the "right" solution to this, except then it's off-forum (and thus not discoverable by searching or browsing).

Two things which might help:

1. We could either make the existing wiki a lot easier to find, or we could even set up our own wiki on this site (instead of relying on Wikia to manage it for us). I think all the content on the current wiki is Creative Commons licensed, which means we could make a copy on this site and maintain it here.
  2. The resource threads might be more useful if they also linked to logs that tend to contain a lot Spanish/Japanese/German/etc. resources. If I tried to organize my list of French resources, it would be an entire website. But I'm willing to flip through somebody's log if they post a lot of interesting resources, and if I think their taste is reasonably similar to mine. But I don't know whose log to use for which genres and which languages.
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:51 pm

There are the super challenge recs btw :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Serpent wrote:There are the super challenge recs btw :)

I hadn't participated in the Super Challenges and hadn't stumbled across that page of the wiki. That's exactly what I had in mind!

While I appreciate that we "need" more static content, I'm a little hesitant to suggest that we fork the wiki...
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:24 am

arthaey wrote:While I appreciate that we "need" more static content, I'm a little hesitant to suggest that we fork the wiki...

Forking the wiki would be more a question of (a) how much we trust Wikia not to screw it up somehow, and (b) putting content on our domain where we have slightly more control. (I don't even know who the Wikia admin is any more, in fact.) No rush to make a decision, though...
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:29 pm

reineke wrote:With regards to online resources, I would hope that mentioning the name of the site is OK.

Absolutely!

As a general rule, established forum members can link to anything they want, as long as it doesn't violate any other site rules (such as the rules against copyright violations, etc.) This includes stuff they've created themselves, as described in the post on "self-promotion", as long as they do so in good taste. :-)
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:02 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”