The end of TAC?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The end of TAC?

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:25 pm

garyb wrote:I do like the idea of having group threads to share resources. People post about a lot of good language-specific resources and media, but it can be hard to find them again because some are in personal logs, some are in advice threads, some are in the Film/Book clubs, etc.

Edit: I led an Italian TAC team a couple of years ago. I don't want to do that again, between the loss of interest in the challenges I've described and not wanting the commitment. However, I would be up for starting a more informal study group/thread for sharing resources, tips, and experiences for the language since I seem to be one of the most active Italian learners on here. If anyone would be interested in that then let me know.

I'm up for that too.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 pm

garyb wrote:However, I would be up for starting a more informal study group/thread for sharing resources, tips, and experiences for the language since I seem to be one of the most active Italian learners on here. If anyone would be interested in that then let me know.

Count me in! I would definitely want to join an Italian study group, and a Spanish one, for that matter. Heck, if there are enough people still studying Esperanto, you would see me around any study thread set up for that language too. I'm all for the idea of study groups, sharing experiences and mutual motivation, I am just not in the right place in my life to be able to run/maintain anything like that myself right now.
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:20 am

Would anyone be interested in an Irish/general Celtic one? I'd be more than willing to start the thread and help on anything I can with Irish, as well as share resources I've accumulated.
2 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:06 am

galaxyrocker: I would love to participate or contribute to a thread on Irish and/or Celtic languages, but have been resisting the impulse to start one and thus be responsible for it. I have health issues that flare up from time to time, and I disappear from sight for a while -- not a good characteristic for someone with edit privileges on the key opening post of the thread. So please start the thread, and I'll be the first to visit. :)
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 am

Sure, why not. Caveat: every time I join a TAC, I'm quite active in the group for a short period, then nothing (although I may still study on my own). Have a look at the Celtic team logs over at HTLAL for inspiration, lists of resources etc.

This is the latest installment:
Team Celts TAC 2015
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:11 pm

I'll be definitely checking out the Italian group, but tbh I'm not sure it makes sense for me to join it. I'd be more of a followeer/observer maybe :)

Anyone interested in groups for Slavic, Scandinavian, Germanic languages? (the overlap is fine I think.. some learn only a specific Scandinavian language, while others learn for example Dutch, German and Swedish)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:13 pm

I'd be very interested in joining a traditional TAC group focused on Italian!
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Serpent wrote:Anyone interested in groups for Slavic, Scandinavian, Germanic languages? (the overlap is fine I think.. some learn only a specific Scandinavian language, while others learn for example Dutch, German and Swedish)

I've had a go at Dutch a couple of times, and it's about time I do something with my (now) non-existent Russian. Who knows, maybe I'll join such a group!
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 pm

FWIW i definitely didn't mean combining Slavic and Germanic/Scandinavian languages :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Serpent wrote:FWIW i definitely didn't mean combining Slavic and Germanic/Scandinavian languages :D

I nearly commented the other day to say I'd be interested in a Slavic group, and then reread your post and decided you actually meant a Slavic/Scandinavian group, which I wouldn't be interested in, so didn't post :lol:

But I would definitely be interested in a Slavic group, or even better if there are enough people to create a Serbo-Croatian group :) And if there is interest in some sort of Esperanto group then I would help out, although Esperanto isn't high on my list of personal priorities right now.

As far as TAC goes, I have been following this thread with interest because I was a "newbie" who started participating in the old forum only so that I could take part in TAC 2014. The experience was really beneficial for me; partly because the process of keeping a public log helped me to be accountable about the progress I was (or wasn't!) making towards my goal, and partly because I learned a lot from the advice of more experienced people in my team like Chung. This year TAC hasn't seemed like so much of a big deal - I guess partly because of the problems with the forum and partly because I haven't needed as much support with my Croatian. But I think whatever format future challenges take, it would be a shame to lose the team spirit and the incentive to interact with each other in the logs section that TAC gave us.
4 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”