The end of TAC?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: The end of TAC?

Postby Serpent » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:51 pm

is our Spanish-German group happening? :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Serpent wrote:is our Spanish-German group happening? :)

I've been wondering the same thing.
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Hopefully there will be some kind of TAC in 2016, but if not, I'll just keep plugging away with Japanese anyway ...
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Serpent wrote:is our Spanish-German group happening? :)

I've been wondering the same thing.

Ooh, where do I sign up? :mrgreen:
2 x

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:15 am

Thank you for the kind words regarding Team Rare. In 2014 it was a strange mix, but five of us crossed the finish line (in style, I should add). In 2015, the dust still hadn't settled when the problems struck, so we'll never know.

The idea of having a team with outliers was risky, but had the potential to be rewarding. There's always the enthusiastic newbie that will try to tackle an obscure language with few resources (who among us has never entertained the idea of learning Navajo or Tibetan, even for a couple of days?). But there's also the person that has weighed her options and gone for the one that could actually be tackled (resources, time, determination...).

A handful of the latter is an inspiration: there's nothing like a team with many scripts, language families, etc. And the challenges can be really awesome. Take a look at our 2014 thread.

I addressed the mix by setting up rules. The person tackling three exotic languages at A0 level deserves the benefit of the doubt, but a heterogeneous team can't survive without some strict control. It's hard enough as it is with it, let alone without.

I'm writing this post to bring up a few points that I believe are important to keep a team together and going:
1. If needed, set up some rules for the team: it's only a game, but it's also a team game.
2. Enforce the rules.
3. Set up some kind of follow-up. I did it once per quarter. It needn't be much, just signal to your teammates that someone is looking after the shop.

Just another thing: if there's some reward for winners (ribbons or other), make sure the concerned people get it. TAC is, after all, a competition, and winners should get their rewards, symbolic as they may be.

That's it. I didn't read the whole thread, so I hope I'm not reopening any closed discussions.

Have fun. I did.
6 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:49 am

I'm interested in joining for Spanish. TAC sounds like just my kind of challenge: mutual support and community helping us all forward.
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”