The end of TAC?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
LMAshton
Yellow Belt
Languages: English N,
German A1, Spanish A0, French A0
Next: Plautdeutsch, Sinhala
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1729

Re: The end of TAC?

Postby LMAshton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:49 am

I finally figured out that TAC stands for Total Annihilation Challenge. Cool. Now. What are the rules? Are there any rules? How does one participate in it?

Yes, I'm a total noob. :D
1 x
LMAshton on Memrise.
: 114 / 1612 German A2 on Memrise
: 188 / 5038 German 5000 Words on Memrise
: 1017 / 1706 Spanish A1 on Memrise
: 1479 / 1663 French A1 on Memrise
: 53 / 5000 French 5000 Words on Memrise

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:56 am

If I remember correctly, TAC didn't originally have teams, it was just about learning as much as possible in one year. I liked the teams because those of us that stuck it out through the year became pretty close and I enjoyed the social aspect of it and all the help and support.

This year though, it seems pretty quiet here. Sometimes we used to have 20 or more people signing up for one team, now it seems like we might only have one team's worth of people in the whole TAC. So maybe we should skip the part about having different teams for different languages and just have one team for everyone. We could then still have a team-thread where people could check in and celebrate their accomplishments or cry about their failures, and maybe monthly mini-challenges that are generic enough to suit just about anyone.

Also, if I haven't mentioned it, I'd like to join for Spanish and/or German, depending how the teams are, (if there are any).
Last edited by Brun Ugle on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:00 am

LMAshton wrote:I finally figured out that TAC stands for Total Annihilation Challenge. Cool. Now. What are the rules? Are there any rules? How does one participate in it?

Yes, I'm a total noob. :D

The TAC is about learning as much as you can in one year. So, I suppose it's not really anything different than what most of us are doing anyway, except that we've traditionally had teams and you were supposed to support your teammates by reading their logs and offering advice and encouragement. If you want to join, you just have to say so and say what language you want to study.
2 x

LMAshton
Yellow Belt
Languages: English N,
German A1, Spanish A0, French A0
Next: Plautdeutsch, Sinhala
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1729

Postby LMAshton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 am

Brun Ugle wrote:The TAC is about learning as much as you can in one year. So, I suppose it's not really anything different than what most of us are doing anyway, except that we've traditionally had teams and you were supposed to support your teammates by reading their logs and offering advice and encouragement. If you want to join, you just have to say so and say what language you want to study.

Ah, got it. Then I'm in since I'd be doing it anyway. Spanish and German.
1 x
LMAshton on Memrise.
: 114 / 1612 German A2 on Memrise
: 188 / 5038 German 5000 Words on Memrise
: 1017 / 1706 Spanish A1 on Memrise
: 1479 / 1663 French A1 on Memrise
: 53 / 5000 French 5000 Words on Memrise

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:25 am

I'm in for East Asian, specifically Japanese. I'm adding some Korean, and some Spanish as well. Glad to know we still have the option of forming a TAC, even if it becomes an individual-only challenge (like the Super Challenge and the Output challenge), or at least very small teams. Thanks for helping support this, Brun. And so good to hear from you now after so long :D
3 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:44 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:If I remember correctly, TAC didn't originally have teams, it was just about learning as much as possible in one year. I liked the teams because those of us that stuck it out through the year became pretty close and I enjoyed the social aspect of it and all the help and support.

This year though, it seems pretty quiet hear. Sometimes we used to have 20 or more people signing up for one team, now it seems like we might only have one team's worth of people in the whole TAC. So maybe we should skip the part about having different teams for different languages and just have one team for everyone. We could then still have a team-thread where people could check in and celebrate their accomplishments or cry about their failures, and maybe monthly mini-challenges that are generic enough to suit just about anyone.

Also, if I haven't mentioned it, I'd like to join for Spanish and/or German, depending how the teams are, (if there are any).

I'm in for 2016, with Arabic as usual. I miss Luso and the rest of the Team Rare ... :(
4 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:20 pm

@radioclare – I'd join your Esperanto study group!

I would also be very interested in taking part in an upper intermediate / advanced Spanish study group, with the goal of really pushing our productive skills to the next level. I would be willing to help lead/organize such a group if there are enough people interested.

I could help with a group for Spanish beginners and/or French learners as a casual “godparent”.
5 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Zireael wrote:
I'm in for 2016, with Arabic as usual. I miss Luso and the rest of the Team Rare ... :(

I was part of team Rare, and participated in the challenges until the HTLAL crash, but I'm honestly not sure how useful it was to me as a language learner. I probably wouldn't participate in Rare again, although I would certainly follow it with interest.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:46 am

Serpent wrote:I'll be definitely checking out the Italian group, but tbh I'm not sure it makes sense for me to join it. I'd be more of a followeer/observer maybe :)

Anyone interested in groups for Slavic, Scandinavian, Germanic languages? (the overlap is fine I think.. some learn only a specific Scandinavian language, while others learn for example Dutch, German and Swedish)

A month or so later, I'm here to say I'd be extremely interested in a Scandinavian/Germanic group. I was even thinking about heading one myself, but I'm not great at consistency, so I had misgivings. What kind of format were you thinking?
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:13 am

Stelle wrote:I would also be very interested in taking part in an upper intermediate / advanced Spanish study group, with the goal of really pushing our productive skills to the next level. I would be willing to help lead/organize such a group if there are enough people interested.

I'd love to join your group if you start it. I have intermediate Spanish, not sure about the "upper" part of it, but I will definitely be working on productive skills next year. Generally my grammar and vocabulary are pretty good, but as soon as I open my mouth, everything is forgotten and I just make stuff up at random.
1 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”